• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope advice for a .223

mse5787

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2011
hey everyone i just bought a Remington 700 in .223 look to spend around 300 bucks on the scope. im going to be shooting 100-250 yards, i was thinking something around a 4x12x40. Was wondering if anyone had an recommendation.

Thanks
Matt

Re: scope advice for a .223

My Leupold Vari X II works great on my .223. This site bashes on Leupold alot but I can only speak from my experience with this scope. My experience has been all good.

I have the Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40 on my FN TSR 223. Little more than you want to spend (around $550), but maybe you can find a deal. Look up the specs on this scope, I like it alot. Philip.

The Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x with side-focus and mil-dot reticle is in your price range.

Not like you need a mil/mil scope on a Remington 700 in .223. Pretty sure the twist rate is 1:12 or 1:14, so unless you have a Custom Barrel w/1:8 or faster twist, you won't get much precision using bullets much over 62gr. So... 300yds and under seems like a likely accuracy range "varmint special" or not.

Might find one used on Ebay for around $200. Older ones with plex reticle and Adjustable Objective parallax are also very fine quality. Might find a 6-18x Buckmasters around $300 also. MidwayUSA is the source for the 6-18x w/mil-dot reticle.

Good luck & happy shooting!

I read Schmidt and Bender makes something decent. I'd have to mortgage my home to afford half of one.

i was looking at nikons but i didnt know how well they did.

does anyone have any thoughts on the Nikon Coyote Special model?

I have a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T M1 on my Colt CR6724 and it does the job..

IMG_3954-1.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

Im not crazy at all with the standard BDC ret. And my self i dont like the BDC predator ret in the nikon coyote. Not having the cross hair would turn me away from the coyote model. Thats just my 2 cents on the coyote model. The money your wanting to spend I would look for one of the monarch ucc with the Adjustable objective. They have some excellent glass in them for the money. I dont think 300.00 will put you in a used monarch with the side focus unless you ran across a heck of a deal. Which there out there just got to keep your eyes open.

Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 would be my choice. I also have a couple of Monarchs, and honestly the FFII has better glass. If you want target turrets Burris will add them for $80.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mse5787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey everyone i just bought a Remington 700 in .223 look to spend around 300 bucks on the scope. im going to be shooting 100-250 yards, i was thinking something around a 4x12x40. Was wondering if anyone had an recommendation.

Thanks
Matt </div></div>

Cheap varmint scope = nikon buckmasters/monarch
Cheap hunting scope = redfield
Cheap "tactical" scope = super sniper 10X, bushnell 10X, weaver 3-10 mil mil

I would avoid anything with lots of features that is made in China

The problem i had with burris was the customer service. I had issues with a signature series and burris was no help what so ever. Matter of fact he was a dick about it. The other burris scopes i have had was not bad scopes but i got rid of all of them after that phone call with the burris tech.

BCP is right on the money with his break down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a bit of research recently and I did go with this Nikon Buckmaster and I'm going to be shooting from 25yds to 400yds and this looked to fill my needs </div></div>Thats actually a pretty nice scope for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mse5787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">theres just so many damn opinions lol</div></div>

Definately but you're best bang for the buck would be those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperk1ng20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mse5787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">theres just so many damn opinions lol</div></div>

Definately but you're best bang for the buck would be those. </div></div>

Thinking of selling something soon? 26 posts in under 40 mins...

i went to the local gunshop today and held up both the monarch and the coyote special and the coyote seem to be clearer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperk1ng20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mse5787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">theres just so many damn opinions lol</div></div>

Thinking of selling something soon? 26 posts in under 40 mins...</div></div>
Nope just thought of helping people out with questions or stuff they wanted help with mate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperk1ng20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperk1ng20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mse5787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">theres just so many damn opinions lol</div></div>

Thinking of selling something soon? 26 posts in under 40 mins...</div></div>
Nope just thought of helping people out with questions or stuff they wanted help with mate. </div></div>

Read half your posts.... Tell me HOW they are even cose to helpful??? 40 posts today and not one of them has aANY form of knowledge.

Nikon and Bushnell are good for low cost decent quality scopes. I've owned both. Nikon somehow seems to do a good job making scopes that are very easy to get a sight
Picture easy and comfortable. Don't ask me to explain, I can't. Maybe someone can that loves Nikon. Same eye relief as other scopes.

Either brands are GTG.

the other thing im worried about it the hunting reticle that nikon uses on target shooting

If you're good at estimating then it shouldn't be a problem, if you're uncomfortable with it then get a tactical scope with mil reticles, such as the millett trs-1, konus m30 or the weaver tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T M1 on my Colt CR6724 and it does the job..

IMG_3954-1.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

</div></div>

It does the job?
I guess.
I stuck a homeless 5x22 Nf on one of mine this past summer, what a gross overkill. But it was nice!
smile.gif

You either have alot of money or you are an old fart!
wink.gif
Or both.
Miles

I just got my Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 and am posting as I said I would it was a bit dark when I got it mounted and I won't know how it looks until friday but the picture looked a little hazy when magnified to 18 but I'm going to try to do some adjusting to the mounts and scope placement on friday. I hope to be blasting some steel swinging targets at 300yds on my parents property friday. Anyways here the pics

IMG_20120104_210856.jpg

IMG_20120104_210716.jpg