• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope advice needed

YankeeTexan

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2023
Central Texas
I'm new to hunting and to LR shooting and I'm looking for some advice on what scope to get. What I want to do is hunt within 300 yards and ring steel up to 1000 with my recently ordered Tikka Veil left-hand in .308 WIN. These are my assumptions:

- Magnification should be in the 3-18 to 5-25 range. I'm thinking keep the low end low enough to hunt with. I currently hunt hogs with a Razor 1-6 LPVO on an AR, so my hunch is that 6-36 or similar scopes would be overkill.
- 34mm maintube because of .308's drop at 800 yards or more.
- mrad reticle / turrets since I'm starting out fresh. More than one person and Ryan Cleckner's book suggested doing this.
- Durability and repeatability is more important (to me at least) than absolute glass clarity.
- My budget is ~$3000 at the high end, but I'm considering stuff like the Razor LHT scopes on up to the Kahles 3-18.

Edit: No back country hunting anticpated in the near future and the short distances carrying a somewhat heavier optic is no big deal. Also, any reticle recommendations welcome.

Any constructive criticism on these assumptions or advice on scope makes / models would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alcanino
At <300 yards I would not go FFP. They are not made for short range hunting. You are going to absolutely hate the tiny and unusable reticle on low power. Get a second focal plane scope and I would not go for more than X18, but even that is very excessive.

I have at least one of just about every tier one maker, and this lowly NF is currently my favorite deer scope. This is all the scope I need and more for Missouri white tails. Like you, I am not shooting beyond 300 yards. The right tool for the right job.

And, at under a grand it's not going to break you.

Your budget allows for a wide range of quality optics, so that is a good problem to have. The last few suggestions in the middle of the range are probably where I’d lean. Some of the details probably depend on what kind of hunting. For example, if you primarily do backcountry hunts, weight could be a consideration. Also, considering which activity you plan to do most might help break a tie between several possible contenders. Either way, it may be best to stick with something in the $1k range that provides quality for both hunting and LR shooting, and then you can always sell/trade it later if you find that your needs or wants are changing as you get deeper into each activity.

Reactions: YankeeTexan
My direct experience leads me to agree with Fig on needing to be really careful about getting FFP scopes that are primarily designed for LR shooting as the reticles tend to get really skinny and lower magnification which will be annoying when hunting inside 300 yards. I was going to suggest considering the Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18 but the reticle is only MOA. It is a SFP and has heavier stadia better suited for hunting applications and is what I run on a 7mm-08 intended for longer range hunting in Eastern Washington (but it's never seen the field). However, the Zeiss LRP S5 with ZF-MRi reticle might be worth considering. Zeiss is going to give you more of a hunting lineage that's growing into LR / competition shooting, which it sounds like it may be a good fit for you if hunting is your primary use.

Razor LHT has a good reputation and I guess the Leupold Mark5HD should be in the running, too, but since your budget allows I'd nudge you towards the European glass (Swaro, Kahles, Zeiss).

Reactions: YankeeTexan
I'm new to hunting and to LR shooting and I'm looking for some advice on what scope to get. What I want to do is hunt within 300 yards and ring steel up to 1000 with my recently ordered Tikka Veil left-hand in .308 WIN. These are my assumptions:

- Magnification should be in the 3-18 to 5-25 range. I'm thinking keep the low end low enough to hunt with. I currently hunt hogs with a Razor 1-6 LPVO on an AR, so my hunch is that 6-36 or similar scopes would be overkill.
- 34mm maintube because of .308's drop at 800 yards or more.
- mrad reticle / turrets since I'm starting out fresh. More than one person and Ryan Cleckner's book suggested doing this.
- Durability and repeatability is more important (to me at least) than absolute glass clarity.
- My budget is ~$3000 at the high end, but I'm considering stuff like the Razor LHT scopes on up to the Kahles 3-18.

Any constructive criticism on these assumptions or advice on scope makes / models would be most appreciated.
Bro, if you want a K318i, get it. Durability and repeatability are absolutely top-tier. I think the glass is pretty good, but some folks bitch about them...But someone somewhere will always find something to bitch about, right? 🙄 I bought one for my main hunting rifle, and damn. It's an awesome crossover scope for hunting and LR shooting. Throw it in a set of ARC M-Brace 34mm Low rings, and a 20MOA base, and you've got a badass rig, ready for close or long range hunting and shooting.

tempImagewZFq2r.pngtempImageQ4vqUG.pngtempImageKBB3J3.png

But if you decide you don't want to spend that much, I will also give a vote for the Burris XTR-III 3.3-18x50 with the SCR 2 MIL reticle. I have one of the 5.5-30x56 models with the SCR 2 reticle. Solid optic for the price.

IMG_8875.jpegIMG_8859.jpeg

For something in-between those 2 (price wise) the Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 Z-MRi is a REALLY nice scope. I have one in the 6-36x56 flavor. Another excellent option. 👍🏼

IMG_8302.jpegIMG_8307.jpeg

Keep an eye out/search for a Demo NF ATACR 5x25x56 at a reputable supplier should fall under your budget.
He did say mediocre glass wasn't a big deal... 😂 But that's a heavy MF'er to put on a hunting rig. But if that's his style, he should go for it.

Thanks for all the replies; I really appreciate it and I want to look closely at some of them. I'm aware that some reticles will appear tight at low magnification, but the rounds through the barrel will likely be 4-1 hitting steel vs hitting animals, so I really want an FFP. I have a couple of SFP optics which I can always switch to if I truly hate the reticle at lower power. While I want to keep the weight down mostly, the ATACR is in play, even if the Vortex Razor Gen 2 with it's chonky 48oz, probably is not.

Now to figure out what kind of reticle I really want. I'm leaning toward Tremor 3, mostly because Horus has a crap ton of videos on how to use it. Any recommended reticles would also be appreciated.

edited for grammar.

Thanks for all the replies; I really appreciate it and I want to look closely at some of them. I'm aware that some reticles will appear tight at low magnification, but the rounds through the barrel will likely be 4-1 hitting steel vs hitting animals, so I really want an FFP. I have a couple of SFP optics which I can always switch to if I truly hate the reticle at lower power. While I want to keep the weight down mostly, the ATACR is in play, even if the Vortex Razor Gen 2 with it's chonky 48oz, probably is not.

Now to figure out what kind of reticle I really want. I'm leaning toward Tremor 3, mostly because Horus has a crap ton of videos on how to use it. Any recommended reticles would also be appreciated.

edited for grammar.
My K318i is a SKMR3, and I really like it. Works excellent for steel, and really well for hunting, too. 👍🏼

edited for grammar.
Horus needs videos because there's so much (too much for about everyone) going on

every other tree reticle is super simple. .2 or .25 or .5 mil marks. easy as that. though when you have enough experience you will like some and hate others

Reactions: FuhQ
Also, as to why I don’t recommend the NF for hunting…I might have some experience with them, as well…

Recent production ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT. The glass is surprisingly unimpressive. Everything else is amazing about the scope, but the glass is sub-optimal for the price.

IMG_9601.jpegIMG_9605.jpeg

Take some of that budget, dump the brake, get a suppressor.

I hate hunting with brakes.

Then again, as my beloved USMC taught me - hearing protection: the less you use it, the less you need it...

I'd also take some of that money and spend it on professional instruction, if you haven't had any. No piece of gear will improve you more than instruction and practice.

Last edited:
I shot bunches of whistle pigs (small ground squirrel / gopherish rodents) using a FFP 18 XTRIIIi this spring. Much of it spent on 3x to 5x. There's much to do made over FFP in hunting that isn't really an issue. It works out just fine.

I have an illuminated XTRIII 18x on a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 30x on my 300 Norma mag for hunting. Both perform fantastic, and are an excellent crossover optic.

34mm maintube because of .308's drop at 800 yards or more.
I’d recommend
ATACR 4-16
Used zco 420
Nx8 2.5-20 or 4-32
Kahles k318i
Minox ZP5 3-15

Life’s too short for cheap coke bottle lens unreliable scopes

How much less than 300 yards for hunting? Long story, but my average shot on a deer is 50 yards, so I use SFP and no more than 3x on the bottom end. I don't care what the top end is, I won't be using it. I'm currently using a 2.5-15x Swaro Z6 with the plex reticle. This is a near perfect hunting scope for my needs, but wouldn't work very well for ringing steel at 1k.

Personally, I think you need 2 scopes. You can easily find 2 that will serve you well, and still stay well within your $3k budget, especially if you buy used.

Reactions: mrmarklin
At <300 yards I would not go FFP. They are not made for short range hunting. You are going to absolutely hate the tiny and unusable reticle on low power. Get a second focal plane scope and I would not go for more than X18, but even that is very excessive.

I have at least one of just about every tier one maker, and this lowly NF is currently my favorite deer scope. This is all the scope I need and more for Missouri white tails. Like you, I am not shooting beyond 300 yards. The right tool for the right job.

And, at under a grand it's not going to break you.
The SHV glass is really bad, and they are like looking through a straw with terrible FOV. Its by far the worst product NF makes. For similar price you can get a MUCH better hunting oriented optic such as.

XTR3
LRHS2
Gen 2 Viper
Bunch of other shit i dont feel like typing out.

Take a look at the Burris XTRIIIi 3-18. Around $1000 and will do what you need.
While I was at the SCI Convention in Nashville last week, Burris is unloading all the previous Eliminator scopes for a 3rd of the original prices, with the new Eliminator 6 out.
Eliminator 3s & 4s were going for hundreds of dollars with $800 @ the max for the Eliminator 5s.
I'll try to find the Digital Bar code that sends you straight to the specific website, so give me a day to locate it in my bag of goodies I brought back 😀

While I was at the SCI Convention in Nashville last week, Burris is unloading all the previous Eliminator scopes for a 3rd of the original prices, with the new Eliminator 6 out.
Eliminator 3s & 4s were going for hundreds of dollars with $800 @ the max for the Eliminator 5s.
I'll try to find the Digital Bar code that sends you straight to the specific website, so give me a day to locate it in my bag of goodies I brought back 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20240208_130728.jpg
    IMG_20240208_130728.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 18