• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope assistance for pig-headed son

Did you see the Helos Gen2 2-12? Just announced yesterday I think. https://athlonoptics.com/product/helos-btr-gen2-2-12x42-dmr-scope/

Not sure how good the glass will be or how bright the illumination gets. This setup with Ares or Cronus glass would be money. Rumblings of Bushnell bringing out a new LRHS soon as well.

That would work, I wish I'd bought a couple more scopes when GAP cleared out the LRHS with their reticle. It's great for hunting.

Nuthin wrong with an 06 weathering (as long as it's not a wood stocked Mark V). The scope budget gets him a Bushnell. It is what it is. Some like them well enuf.

This made me chuckle. My first “nice rifle” that I bought for myself (when I was about 23) was a Weatherby Vanguard in .30-06 w/ a 3-9x Bushnell. I loved it.

Reactions: diverdon
Trying to help out my son (22) who is putting together his first rifle. We have a little bit of Call of Duty and Good ol Boy working so I understand these choices are a bit odd, but its his money and he is starting his adult journey.

Platform: Bolt Action 30-06 (likely a weatherby). (I lost this battle--even I STARTED at 308--ugh)
Useage: Realistically mostly Daytime target practice, under 400 yards. We hope to get back deer hunting sometime, but the areas we hunt 400 yard shots are extremely unlikely. So we'll call it 400 and under. White tail deer/ possibly Hog in Texas. We have opportunities for locally 1000+ but he's never gone with me and he's largely independent now.
Wants: He isn't sure. I'm a FFP guy, we've chatted about it he wants a tactical reticle or "hashmarks" as he calls them. At least mill-dot, likely something more "tactical" (yes this frustrates me too)
Budget: $600 or less. I do believe their is some flexibility on this--but he is also young man of limited financial means (working full time but min wage).

I have 0 clue about this price range of scope, I've bought my share of junkers, but with full knowledge they are junkers--trying to get him a little more lasting.

get him a meopta and you will both be more than happy.