• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope base and optic question

cookie91/38

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
murrieta, California
Hey guys, I recently just got a new sps tactical r700 and I have mounted a larue tactical base, burris xtreme tactical rings, and a swfa 10x42 ss.I have heard that remington is notorious for off center holes on their rifles and I was wondering if this might be an issue on mine. The windage turret has 10 "revolution" marks that the turret rotates over. From the first mark to the last one it rotates over, there are 10. So technically center should be between the 5th and 6th rotation mark. Mine was a little over the 6th mark when zeroed. Now this is a fair amount of windage clicks to get from 5 and a half to there. So my question is, is this evidence for a offset scope? Or is a fair amount of clicks normal to get zeroed. Thanks a lot, Evan

Sounds like you need to zero the turret cap. But, how many mils or MOA of windage adjustment to you have, total? From there, at what point in that range is your windage zero set at? If it's off by a little bit, one way or the other, that's normal. If it's closer to the end of the range, either way, then I would be more concerned. Or, of course, if you were running out of windage in the scope and not being able to get it zeroed, but that doesn't sound like it's a problem.

what's considered a little bit?
Typically, it would be common to have the scope off by a couple/few MOA. Possibly more. But, it's when you are up against one side of the total adjustment range that it would be an issue. I'm not familiar with the exact model that you have. Are the "rotation marks" numbered? If so, is one of them "0"? And, did you loosen the turret cap/dial and set it to zero/center after zeroing the rifle? Before being concerned about which mark it's on, I would want to find the mechanical zero and determine exactly where your zero puts you in that adjustment range.

I think you are fine. Its never going to be dead center. You are in the middle range. Also, most people zero their windage and hold for wind and not dial wind. So as long as its zero'd, your GTG.

Thanks for all the answers guys. I think you're right I'm fine. And noob question but a MOA on the turrets is like 1 to 2 right? With four clicks?
Assuming that the scope's adjustments are in MOA, then yes. If it's four clicks in between numbers, then it sounds like you have 1/4 MOA clicks.

As mentioned, mechanically zero the scope in a set of v-blocks ( so 180ing the scope keeps the vertical stadia on target) Then mount the scope and see how far off you are on paper. This will tell you if the scope mounts are true to bore.

Last edited: