• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Base and Ring Set-up Help!

oxmav3rickxo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
nYc
So i just received my brand new remy 700 aac-sd and i have a leupold mark 4 6.5-20x50 e/rt scrope coming in, and im looking to get a seekins 20 moa base and some seekins rings. Now i was looking at the sticky about calculating ring height and using this formula:

[rail height + ring height] - [bell diameter x 0.5]

i got...

{.29"+.87"} - {2.3" x 0.5} which gives me 0.01" which is a positive number which is supposed to mean you good to go with that ring height. That is the Medium rings.

{.29"+.92"} - {2.3" x 0.5} which gives me 0.06' which also works. This being the Medium High rings

So im just asking to see if i should use the Medium rings? or is that too close to the barrel and should just use the Medium High to give me more clearance? Any other imput or suggestions would also be appreciated.

Also i plan on using Leupold Alumina Flip Caps which from what i read and see around here fit flush with the bell so i would not have to consider those into my calculations like with butler creeks, Correct?

Re: Scope Base and Ring Set-up Help!

Hmmm i think i just answered my own question just now looking at the rifle again, it seems ill be fine with the Medium rings because the rifle tapers down so the 0.01" will actually give me enough clearance while still being as low as possible. Correct?

Just mediums and you will be fine had same setup on SPS tactical. Scope was nice and low on barrel.

If you could update this thread when you get the rings and mount in it'd be awesome - I just got a Remington 700 SPS Tactical myself and was looking at putting the same optic on it, but didn't know what mount and rings to use to get it as low as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocBach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you could update this thread when you get the rings and mount in it'd be awesome - I just got a Remington 700 SPS Tactical myself and was looking at putting the same optic on it, but didn't know what mount and rings to use to get it as low as possible. </div></div>

Will do! All the items are on the way so when they all arive, I'll put pics of how they come together.