• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope base cant question

Chasingpro

Captain
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2020
Texas
I am building a 300 prc and would like to get the maximum adjustment out of my optic for ELR shooting. I would still like to be able to zero at 100. Is there a formula to determine how much moa cant I should use? Scope is 34 mm tube with 31 mils of total elevation adjustment.

This is a great explanation for it you can carry over to any caliber and dialing. I have been using Burris XTR signature rings with canted shims on both 6.5 out to 2k and 22lr out to 430 for several years now and love them. Can always just get a rail and be done with it too, but sometimes you end up 'tweener' and being able to get it exactly where you want it is nice too.

31 mils is about 106 moa so if you go to a 50 moa base or ring and base combo to get there you should still be able to zero at 100 and give yourself a lot of elevation. Not sure what scope but you should also have the reticle for more after that also.

31/2= 15.5mil-3mil for zero = 12.5 mil -(40moa base and rings 40/3.43=11.66 mils) = 1.14 mils left on the table prolly the safest I would go personally but like @Rob01 said you might be able to squeeze a 50 moa combo out of it

First figure out what bullet you'll be using. That'll give you both the BC and the MV that you'll be working with. That information will give you the distances and related drops. From there take the maximum drop you're likely to need and add a couple mils to it for buffer. Now subtract the max drop from the max adjustment of your scope. If the number is positive, you don't need a canted base. If it's negative then multiply by -1 to get your required cant. Round that number to the nearest 10 and there's your needed base/ring cant.

There are cases where a scope with an unusually small total vertical adjustment range will not be able to give you a 100yrd zero with 30moa dialed in in the mount/rings but if you're using a high quality modern tactical style scope then it's unlikely.

If your max needed drop is say, 34mils including a couple mils for buffer and your scope has 26 mils of total vertical adjustment, then you need to fill the 8 mils gap at minimum which is just over 27MOA, which when rounded up as directed means you'd need a 30MOA cant in your mounting system. That's an example the the "your" is a hypothetical person, not OP.

Way more work than necessary to figure out how to get the most out of the scope. Ballistics don’t matter in that. Just what’s available and how to position it in the scope.