• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope base for elr

ghostwriter247

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2011
mount pleasant iowa
I was looking over the Moa adjustments needed to go From 400 yds to just over a mile and the adjustments needed Are significant.

I was looking at the nf competition scopes and they are limited to 60 Moa.

Are most people moving up to scopes with 100 plus Moa adjustment? I would like to b able to shoot at both four hundred about to a mile but the best I could think is switching out bases completely or putting one on top of another to make a higher Moa combination when I shoot much longer range.

Or do most just have a long rang dedicated setup with a high Moa base they just don't use under 1000 yards?

The NF nxs series would be a way better option. The new ATACR would be even better. A 30-40 moa base will work depending on the scope travel, and a 34mm tube has more travel than a 30mm tube. I'd concern myself more with scope choice than base.
Don't limit your distance by getting a scope with 60 total moa travel, you'll regret it. A 5-22 NF has 105 moa travel, coupled with a 40 moa base, would really be the ticket.

I had a 8-32x56 NF nxs on a 338 snipetac, 40moa base, had to run a 600 yard zero, which worked because I wasn't shooting inside that anyway, or farther than 2200 yards, so it worked, but was limited at best.

Call Ken Farrell. Have them make you a 60moa base. That's what I have on my 338 Norma, 338 Lapua, & 408 Cheytac.

Spuhr. I think I got his 40 or higher MOA base for my S&B... plus its the most solid looking thing out there.

I have a set of Ivey 150 rings with a 12-42 NSX on my 375 Chey Tac and a Cold Shot 150 MOAB on a 338 Edge. ( Heritage Arms Cold Shot M.O.A.B. 150 Scope Base - Vertically Adjustable long range scope base ) with an 8-32 BR. Of the two my preference leans to the Cold Shot base. Both work but I personally prefer the positive detents at 1/4 moa in the Cold Shot vs. the vernier adjustment of the Ivey's. For me zeroing the scope with the base at zero then making sight adjustments in the base is easier than adjusting the vernier to an approximate value then using the scope turrets for final adjustments. I have found the Cold Shot to be accurate and repeatable and in fairness I have just beginning to shoot with the Ivey's so my opinion might change with more use.

GS

wow that cold shot looks just what im looking for. Let me know how the cold shot develops as you use it more

Milo, that was the problem I started with scope first and decided on the nightforce competition but was running into the problem of elevation travel. plus the intitial reviews indicate its clarity is better at high magnification range than the nxs, I won't have a chance to shoot past 1000 yards much but prefer to shoot at least 400 to 800. Im running an 10 ba right now and was thinking about putting the competition in a unimount and switching it between guns once i get my 1000 plus gun built. while i think i've got a realistic budget i don't have unlimited funds. I don't really have a mile gun yet but if i can get a quality scope out of the way, Im gonna get started on a 338 build on a savage action. not sure on the barrel yet, but prolly going to go with an jp or xlr chassis for it with a duplin bipod. not a perfect solution but would get me shooting a bit quicker at elr.

One thing I failed to mention in my reply is both the Cold Shot and Ivey rings are very tall. You need an adjustable comb or one of the strap on comb pieces to get a cheek weld.

GS

So has anyone put together any kind of chart that estimates how much MOA adjustment you need to reach out to a mile and beyond, such as 100 MOA for a thousand yards, 140 MOA for 1500 yards, etc.? I'm not saying those are the correct amounts, just wondering if anyone has calculated what is needed for various long ranges?

Another way to put it, is that if I have a 40 MOA scope base and 122 MOA of scope elevation adjustment, how far does that get me with a 300 WM?

Last edited:
I got a set of the Ivey rings. I couldn't get them to zero properly first outing. Sent them back for repair, tested them a few weeks back, looks like they are tracking properly. I just zeroed on a .223 (didn't want to waste ammo until I was confident they were running well) then ran them up 20 Minutes holding same point of aim, shot a group, brought them back down shot zero again, repeated the process several times, seems to be a go this time! Just getting ready to complete a 375 CT build then will be able to test them at distance. I am going to run my NF 8x32x56 with them, should have great magnification and plenty of travel. (if the mirage doesn't kill me) :)

So has anyone put together any kind of chart that estimates how much MOA adjustment you need to reach out to a mile and beyond, such as 100 MOA for a thousand yards, 140 MOA for 1500 yards, etc.? I'm not saying those are the correct amounts, just wondering if anyone has calculated what is needed for various long ranges?

Another way to put it, is that if I have a 40 MOA scope base and 122 MOA of scope elevation adjustment, how far does that get me with a 300 WM?

Totally depends on the round you are using. There are a ton of on-line ballistic calculators. JBM is one of them.

1,000 yards typically will require somewhere bewteen 30-37 MOA. Again depends on the round. My .308 rounds take 35 from a 100 yard zero where we shoot.

Last edited:
Cold shot Moab150 is waste of money. Tested a lot this base. Not correct returning vertical adjustments. Poor workmanship. Design errors can not be corrected. The same can be said about new Reknagel Tac. No guaranteed and the same returned of vertical adjustments.

Last edited:

Here is an online calculator that will allow you to see how much vertical adjustment is needed.

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Spuhr. I think I got his 40 or higher MOA base for my S&B... plus its the most solid looking thing out there.

I'm going with this. I see at mile high they have 0, 20 and 40 MOA canted monolithic scope rings.

My action has an integral 20MOA base so I can use the Spuhr rings to get me the amount of vertical adjustment I''m looking for with no moving parts.

Here is a link if you want to peruse their product line.
Spuhr - Spuhr Mounts - Mile High Shooting Accessories