• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope base for Savage 110BA (>0 MOA)

michael_aos

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've read EGW makes a 20MOA that sorta fits, but requires the holes be drilled-out to accommodate the #8 screws of the 110BA. I didn't see anything on their website that looked right.

Nightforce is rumored to have one, as is Ken Farrell -- again, not on their website, but possibly available just the same.

Does anyone happen to have a link or part-number for a good >0 MOA (probably 20 MOA) base for the "new" Savage 110BA w/#8-40 screws?
--

Re: Scope base for Savage 110BA (>0 MOA)

i called EGW and ordered a 30 moa base and had them open up the holes for the 8-40 screws. it was around $120 and fit like a dream. shipped fast. now a 40 moa base will take awhile so i just got a 30. it works perfect out to 1760. thats as far as ive tried with the beast 110 ba. mine is .338. hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiegolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i called EGW and ordered a 30 moa base and had them open up the holes for the 8-40 screws. it was around $120 and fit like a dream.</div></div>

Cool. Thank you. I think that's exactly what I will do.
--

also, the base i ordered was the HD Savage Round Back Picatinny Rail Scope Mount.

try that guy that makes them for you to your desired moa. murphy precision i think it is

As of last week, all Nightforce scope bases made for Savage are set up for #6 screws. I found Ken Farrel does have a 110BA 20MOA base drilled for #8 screws but you have to call them as they are not listed on their web site (talk to TG). I have one on order my self.

The guys at Nightforce did say, they are getting requests for a 110BA base but it depends on how many requests they get before they decide to produce them (hint).

I didn't want to use the rail system that came with my 110BA, so I searched for a base with 8-40 screws and <span style="font-weight: bold">no cutout </span>because this action is the target type, solid across the top with ejection port, I contacted Murphy Precision, they will make it any way you want it, a week later it arrived, extremely well made base with stainless screws.

[img:center]
00275.JPG
[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks VERY nice.

Do they offer it in 20MOA or greater?
-- </div></div>

He will make it to your specs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[img:center]
00275.JPG
[/img] </div></div>

Can we see a pic of the entire rifle without the factory base (I hate that gawdawful rail thing).

The rail on the 110BA is a 20MOA rail to begin with but if you want more or just don't like the big rail call Ken Ferrell He'll make anything you want, He just made me a 40MOA for mine.
Sully

Ken Farrell is a great guy to deal with. I wanted a 20 MOA for my model 10 that was out of stock, and he substituted the more expensive "G-force" version for the same price on the spot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 402</div><div class="ubbcode-body">call Ken Ferrell He'll make anything you want, He just made me a 40MOA for mine.</div></div>

Does his have the cutout? Or is it solid like the Murphy Precision?

I kind of like the sound of the 40 MOA base. What would be the downside?
--

The EGW HD and the Ken Farrel both have some cutout under the center of the rail but not as much, the rails are thicker then the Savage Supplied EGW rail.

The downside of 40MOA would be limited adjustment close range and optically your offset or looking thought the scope crooked. That can add optical distortion to the sight image and maybe even effect parallax. In an ideal world you would look straight down the middle of the scope with the scope in the center of its adjustment range. So if you only plan to shoot out past 1000m then 30 or 40moa may be the right choice.

With a 300y ZERO the Factory 300gr Scenar 338LM ammo will drop about 250 inches at 1000y. A 40MOA base will hold over the sight picture about 400 inches at 1000y. So even at 1000y a 40MOA base will require the scope to be offset 15MOA down from center. This is a rough estimate.

I'm probably going to use either the Premier 5-25x56mm or SWFA SS 5-20x50mm scope.

Each have ~30 mils / ~100 MOA of elevation adjustment.

I tend to do my load-development and validate my zero at the 100yd line, and then dial for elevation.

My local range only goes out to 600yds, but currently expect to shoot it mostly at 1000yds and beyond.

With that in mind, any suggestions to help me decide between a 30 MOA & 40 MOA base?

Remember, that 100MOA of elevation adjustment is the TOTAL range from top to bottom, not from center. So cut that number in half. That gives you about 50MOA of usable adjustment from center. Given those #'s I would not go beyond a 30MOA base, but others here have far more experience at this then I do.

How far do you want to shoot? I might have missed that somewhere. With my NF I have 60 MOA left of elevation that I can dial with the factory 20 MOA rail. I shoot 300 gr Scenars @ 2780fps at a DA of 7490 ft. and I have no trouble getting to 1700yd. My goal is 2000 so I need another 20MOA, even though I have 20MOA left in my reticle as hold over I will save it until I need it. With the new 40MOA rail I will still be able to maintain my 100yd zero. JM.02
Sully

Pics without the supplied McCann MIRS Rail, and I removed the 10lb weight that was on the end of the barrel. My POI changed 4" vertical / 2" left.

00284.JPG

00197.JPG

What'd that Murphy rail cost you?? I'm gonna have to get me one of those

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What'd that Murphy rail cost you?? </div></div>

$125

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What'd that Murphy rail cost you?? </div></div>

$125 </div></div>

Awesome. Thanks!

Since there are a few Savage BA guys here, I have a question. Will the BA style bolt handle fit a Sav 10 FP Round Top with Accu-Trigger and the bolt removal lever on the side (and where could it be available)? I called Savage to ask, but they just want your serial # and act dumb otherwise. I'd like to find one to keep my Savage ALL Savage. THX !

^ +1, I'd like to change out the bolt handle on my 110FCP for what comes on the 110BA as well.

Not sure about factory offerings, but JP, SSS, and Stockade have some nice offerings that are a simple swap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of recoil without the brake?

Diego </div></div>

I have the 300 WinMag, so it's not bad at all with the weight of the rifle, but shooting any magnum will start to wear you out sooner or later.

My Ken Farrel 20MOA 110BA (#8-40) steel base arrived today.

Here are some numbers,
0MOA EGW measured 0.332" bottom of rail to ring base both front and rear.
20MOA Ken Farrel measured .416" rear and .382" front bottom or rail to ring base.

The KF base included Torx drive #8-40 screws that where a bit longer then those supplied by Savage on the EGW base. I measured the depth on the front screw down to the barrel threads at 0.117" and measured the KF front screw depth at 0.110" and it tightens fine with out hitting the barrel threads.

There is a center rib on the KF base that leaves only about 0.025" gap to the action and it looks very nice installed. Here is a side view comparison of the EGW and the KF,
_PAS0201.jpg

Savaged supplied 0MOA EGW,
_PAS0200.jpg

Ken Farrel 20MOA,
_PAS0203.jpg

_PAS0206.jpg

Other then the KF base I ordered being steel and the EGW Aluminum, the mass and thickness of the KF base along with the center rib make it a very strong, rigid and sturdy part, far more so then the EGW base. The KF base weights in about 3 times more then the EGW base, however. There is a slight grove down the center between the edges of the rail that contact the action for epoxy bedding, but according to KF it's generally not necessary on the round top Savage actions.

the ba style bolt handle will fit any savage that has the allen screw in the back of the bolt assembly. i have changed the ones on my model 10fp-sr .223,and model 12 .204. makes reloading faster and easier

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to order the base on Monday 12/5.

I'm strongly leaning toward that Murphy Precision. Looks very nice.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 40 MOA base.
-- </div></div>

I'm also leaning towards the Murphy in 40 MOA. My scope has 100 MOA so I see no reason not to go with the 40 MOA base. Their stuff is really nice and very reasonably piced as well.

I got a Murphy 30moa base for my dads 110ba. Murphy's good to go, Savage on the other hand must have used a worn out tap when they taped the holes I had to case the treads with a bottom tap.

The threads on mine needed a little help as well. Just used the screws from the EGW base to help clean the receiver threads up some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post some pics when you get it Michael. </div></div>

I snapped a couple of pics, but they don't do it justice. I'll have to work on it.

The base is VERY nice though.

Anyone happen to know how much I should torque (in/lb) these #8-40 screws?
--

^ I torqued the front screw to 20 in-lbs and the other three to 25 in-lbs, used some blue Loctite as well. The specs from Ken Farrel say 20-25 in-lbs front and 25-30 in-lbs others.

One thing I would recommend. Check the max depth of the front screw to the barrel threads then check the screw penetration through the base. I had 0.007" clearance.

Just thought I would add, with a 20MOA base and 100MOA of elevation adjustment in my scope zeroed at 200 yards, I checked my available elevation rise. There is 22mils or 75.6MOA, that's enough for 1760 yards. The 20MOA base also puts the scope near center at 900 yards.

For my 110BA, I'm thinking of 2 bases ... one for shooting with NVD probably 600yds and under ... this one would be 0 MOA with a 17 inch top rail only. And the other would be 30MOA or 40MOA for shooting out to 2K in the day. Murphy apparently makes and stocks to this second requirement, as to the first I just got off the phone with Ken Farrell and they can do the 0MOA 17 inch top rail for maybe $200. But they want me to do a detailed drawing. Did anyone else have to do a drawing? They said accurate to at least 1/1000th of an inch. So not sure I understand why I need to reproduce the exact distances between standard pic rails and the radius of the barrel under the rear of the base. They must already know these things!

But, I've certainly not been happy with the Savage stock base. I can swap my scopes around on all my other pic rail rifles, but the pic rails on the top of the Savage stock base creature were apparently made to some other "standard". I have to remount the rings whenever I move a scope to/from the Savage. Yet, I don't hear anyone else complain about this. Maybe I got a one off problem here.
But certainly the stock "monster" seems unweildy and not sure even how you could use the flat forerail, given that the rear part of the rail is elevated.

Savage 110BA .338 LM rail change

I may have missed the answer but here goes. I have a Savage 110BA .338 LM, Night Force NSX 5.5x22x56. The other day I was shooting at 2000 yards. Scope was maxed on elevation with a 1.5 MOA hold over. Thinking about changing the 20 MOA rail to a 30 or 40 MOA rail for increased distance. Any suggestions? What would that do to my short range shooting? Will that affect my parallax at distance? All suggestions welcomed.

But, I've certainly not been happy with the Savage stock base. I can swap my scopes around on all my other pic rail rifles, but the pic rails on the top of the Savage stock base creature were apparently made to some other "standard". I have to remount the rings whenever I move a scope to/from the Savage. Yet, I don't hear anyone else complain about this. Maybe I got a one off problem here.

Just as an FYI, the stock McCann rail is not built to 1913 picatinny rail specs. Mine was off by .067" and my LT-107 1 piece from LaRue would not work. It was advised at first by LaRue and Savage that I file out the rail... Not happening. I explained that I was not mounting a toaster, popcorn machine, or any other tacticool gear on my rifle and they said they would ship me a EGW 20MOA mount under warranty. Good on Savage.

Keep this in mind if you plan on using a 1 piece and swapping optics between rifles.

Keywords: Savage BA110, Scope Mount, 1 piece, Larue LT107, Scope Base, 1913

Just as an FYI, the stock McCann rail is not built to 1913 picatinny rail specs. Mine was off by .067" and my LT-107 1 piece from LaRue would not work. It was advised at first by LaRue and Savage that I file out the rail... Not happening. I explained that I was not mounting a toaster, popcorn machine, or any other tacticool gear on my rifle and they said they would ship me a EGW 20MOA mount under warranty. Good on Savage.

Keep this in mind if you plan on using a 1 piece and swapping optics between rifles.

Keywords: Savage BA110, Scope Mount, 1 piece, Larue LT107, Scope Base, 1913

Haha !!! Fantastic news! I guess I will call Savage. I figured like most of my problems, that it was just "me", but glad to hear someone else, even Savage, acknowledged they put "Martian" rails on a rifle they planned to sell on "Earth". I still want the 17 inch rail for clipon mounting, but having a shorter 20MOA rail would be good as well.

Thanks again for the post!!!