• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Bell Clearance on 338

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    So, I have read several topics on this and there seems to be no exact concensus. I have just put on my SWFA 5-20x50 with steel badger rings onto my savage 110ba 338.

The problem is that with these rings the scope bell sits literally hairs away from the rail. I attached a picture of the gap, with a paper folder over twice. That should give you an idea of how much distance there is( BC caps definitly don't fit).

The only thing that I can think of that might make it ok is since it is the rail that its close to and not the scope(because of how the 110ba is setup) there isn't issues with metal expanding from heat.

scope1.jpg

Re: Scope Bell Clearance on 338

After measuring, it looks like its somewhere between .025-.03 inches from the rail.

I can't offer any advice, about to mount my SS, just wondering what height rings you used?

I got rid of the stock rail setup and got a Murphy Precision scope base. End of problem.

Slip a small piece of paper between the scope and the barrel just before you fire a few shots. Look at the paper and see if there has been any contact. If so, you gotta change things. If not, you're in the clear