• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope Bottoms Out Before Reaching Zero (Savage LA)?

LanceS4803

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2011
Middle TN
Haven't encountered this problem before, but then I've never scoped a Savage...

Savage 116 Long Action (early flat scope base receiver), in 300WM
Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44, with reported 50MOA elevation adjustment
Vortex Viper rings
EGW Tactical 20MOA one-piece scope base (needed only a very, very thin amount of bedding at the rear)

Mounted everything up with no issues and bore sighted at 100yds. Starting with reticle centered, kept cranking up but I ran out of elevation a few MOA before reaching zero. Checked the scope and I actually have 57MOA of elevation adjustment on this scope.

What am I missing here? Shouldn't I still have about 8MOA left after zeroing?

The scope base might not be aligned perfectly, especially since you bedded the rear of it. It may be giving you more than 20 MOA. Possibly significantly more.

The bedding is only 2-3/1,000th, at most. I don't think that would throw me off that much.
(I've done Seekins bases on M700s with much thicker bedding with no problems.)

I have the same problem with my LA111 300wm with the round receiver. With my scope totally bottomed out (about 90moa adjustment) I have a 100 yard zero using 210 VLD's. This is running a one piece weaver o moa base that is rear bedded. With the 20 moa base that I had originally purchased I was, you guessed it, 20 or so inches high at 100 yards. I am able to visually bore sight the gun with the scope, regardless it shoots incredibly high, much higher than the barrel would indicate. I spent a lot of time and ammo trying to figure out why I was that high, and I still haven't figured out why. But, looking at the silver-lining of the situation I have come to two conclusions: First, as long as I buy a scope with a lot of adjustment I will be OK. And second, I will never have to run a 20 moa base to get out to a 1000 yards. Good luck.

I'll give EGW a call, but it looks like I'll just end up with a 0MOA base.
I just wish there were more options for early Savage flat backs.

I have 5 flat recievered Savages, 2 long and 3 short and they all run 20 moa bases. And I have not had a problem getting a 100 yd. zero. Also I have not bedded any of the bases. I have used EGW, Badger, Farrell. Nightforce and Sekkins and they all work.

Contacted EGW. They said for my setup, I should be zeroing the scope at 200 yards. (I don't think just because I used a 20MOA base, I have to zero at 200yds. I zero other rifles with 20MOZ bases at 100yds).
Anyway, they offered to take the rail and mill it to any MOA I want. I guess I will get it cut back to 0MOA.

Sorry I don't understand? You say you are cranking up meaning you are turning the elevation nob up in the direction the arrow shows up? Or are you turning the nob down to raise the reticle up?