• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope bright and clear, then slowly becomes dark??

208Plinker

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
Boise, Idaho
So I have a SS 5-20x50 HD illum. on a burris pepr quick detatch mount on my AR10.

When ever I look through it, its hard to find my eye relif and when I do the optics are very bright clear, then slowly I start to dim out and it goes dark.

I know its me doing this, but what do I need to do to correct it? Is my eye weak or something? Mounted to high or forward? Scope is right over the charging handle and I have a prs stock.

Anyone else have this happen?

Re: Scope bright and clear, then slowly becomes dark??

What is probably happening is you are seeing it clear but you aren't in a natural position so then you settle in on the rifle and the scope "gets dark" bc you aren't in line with it anymore.

Likely you need to adjust your eye relief. Get you head in a comfortable position when you mount the rifle then move the scope front and back until it is all clear then mount it to rifle. Also you may need to adjust your cheek weld until its clear.

Might be a bad scope. I will give you $200.00 for it.
Seriously I own one also. Take the scope off the rifle and mount it on a tripod like a spotting scope. See if you have the same problem. Maybe you can figure out what is going wrong.

You had a bad SS HD 5-20x50 Illum. scope, out of the box?? What did swfa tell you?

TF9, you might be right, I kinda slump off to the left when I shoot prone and my neck kills me after 40 rounds. Maybe I am struggling to maintain a clear view.

Might be an eye dominance thing too . Left eye trying to take over (right handed shooter). Does it happen if you close or cover the other eye ?

Definitely a position and body alignment problem. Work on acquiring a comfortable natural point of aim and some dry fire at the house. Work with your PRS adjustments to help you on your stock weld and length of pull.

Are you holding your breath too long trying to remain still/steady?

You may discount this and think its funny, but I've seen some shooters do it.

It's either:

a) macular degeneration, or
b) you're squinting

Pray that it's the latter.

If you are saying that it's difficult to find your proper eye relief when you get on the gun then that would be your primary indicator. Everything there after is contributory.

Pain after shooting = poor position and the body fighting to maintain it.

Dimming of picture = see above and add in eye strain from closing the left eye, possibly breath holding (you only get 7 seconds before your eye starts to fade)

1. Set the rifle up properly. Ring height, distance from the eye, stock length and cheek position are all factors that need attention. Instantaneous full field of view and edge to edge clarity (w/i the scope limits) are what you are striving for. Get in a comfortable shooting position with your eyes closed, when your good and comfy, open your eye. If it's not perfect move stuff and do it till it is.

2. Open both eyes. Cut out a piece from a plastic milk jug and tape it to your off eye on your glasses. It lets light in so that one eye is not in darkness (pupils (the iris) prefer to work in pairs otherwise they will fight each other) but blocks the view.

3. BREATH!

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are saying that it's difficult to find your proper eye relief when you get on the gun then that would be your primary indicator. Everything there after is contributory.

Pain after shooting = poor position and the body fighting to maintain it.

Dimming of picture = see above and add in eye strain from closing the left eye, possibly breath holding (you only get 7 seconds before your eye starts to fade)

1. Set the rifle up properly. Ring height, distance from the eye, stock length and cheek position are all factors that need attention. Instantaneous full field of view and edge to edge clarity (w/i the scope limits) are what you are striving for. Get in a comfortable shooting position with your eyes closed, when your good and comfy, open your eye. If it's not perfect move stuff and do it till it is.

2. Open both eyes. Cut out a piece from a plastic milk jug and tape it to your off eye on your glasses. It lets light in so that one eye is not in darkness (pupils (the iris) prefer to work in pairs otherwise they will fight each other) but blocks the view.

3. BREATH!

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

So, that is the reason the young kid on top shot always wore that over his eye...

I second the cheekweld/fatigue issue. If you can shift your eye position when this happens, and your scope image improves, your eye is likely drifing O/O alignment with the scope's exit pupil, bringing on shadowing. Your stock may need some padding, etc., added to to provide proper support that agrees with your proper cheekweld.

This is what works for me.

Grab a hold of your rifle and get a good cheek weld. Now close your eyes and get more comfortable. Once you are more comfortable, open your eyes. If you can't see anything or the eye rekief is off reposition your scope and try again until the scope is setup properly and you are in a natural position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLDTYLRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what works for me.

Grab a hold of your rifle and get a good cheek weld. Now close your eyes and get more comfortable. Once you are more comfortable, open your eyes. If you can't see anything or the eye rekief is off reposition your scope and try again until the scope is setup properly and you are in a natural position.</div></div>

This.

Replace the battery.

WOW! I am learning so much, BIG thank you to everyone being helpful.

1- I am blowing out half my breath and holding it, sometimes for more than 10sec.

2- Forcefully closing (hard squint) on my left eye, while trying to keep my right open.

3- I adjusted my PRS stock/cheek weld to my eye relif and not to my comfort.

Jeez, I suck!!

We all just learned!

The whole reason this site exists is to get shooters to understand one very important thing - 95% of what goes into a good shot is what the shooter does BEFORE the shot. Learn from everything, and never skip an opportunity to train.