• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope choice 50 BMG

ralfabco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2009
Houston, Texas
With a Steyr HS 50-M1 scope options.

I am interested in a scope that can take the recoil from the fifty.

I am not looking for a scope, to squeeze precision out of the fifty round.

What about this unusual scope - the Trijicon ACOG fixed 6x with the .50BMG reticle. On the top rail mount a Aimpoint T1 with a 4moa dot.

Other considerations:

Schmidt Bender 3-12x54 PM II P4F

Kahles K318i

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks for looking.

I put an athalon cronus on my serbu 50bmg bolt action. Lifetime warranty and rated for a 50. Only have 25 rounds on it so far but I really like it for my application. Sounds like field of view and closer range/low power magnification are what you are wanting though.

Reactions: ralfabco
Yes. ^^

Durability and wide FOV. I realize the two scopes I mentioned with the zoom feature will have wider FOV on low power.

FYI - 2.7” ACOG eye relief.

Swfa has some fixed power scopes I have used on my 50 before I decided I wanted more magnification. I had the 16 power. They have a 10x42 for 299$

Reactions: 105gr
Vortex Gen 2 4.5x27 They are selling for about 1850 ish new and for the money and the warranty you can't go wrong. Just mounted up 1 for my friend on a .338 LM and was very impressed with the glass and it has 35 mils of elevation.

Reactions: camotoe
I have a Mark 4 LRT that's been on seven different 50Bmg rifles and has thousands of rounds under it's belt.
Shot 375 round's in one day with my M82, dialing all over the spectrum of distances out to 2,000+ yards.
It's been on a Bolt, shell holder, bolt, bolt, Semi, bolt, Semi.
Shot in many FCSA comps, hunted and general destruction.
Currently residing on my Serbu Semi with a BORS system.
I can wholeheartedly recommend a Mark 4 LRT.
SJC

Reactions: Diesel65
Swarovski used to make a 10x42 scope just for that purpose. They can be found on Gunbroker from time to time.

Reactions: Bravo6niner
Nightforce 5-25 SFP Enhanced ATACR. Solid, proven on my M82A1. Did not need FFP for my application. Cheaper and less to potentially break internally.

I have a Mark 4 LRT that's been on seven different 50Bmg rifles and has thousands of rounds under it's belt.
Shot 375 round's in one day with my M82, dialing all over the spectrum of distances out to 2,000+ yards.
It's been on a Bolt, shell holder, bolt, bolt, Semi, bolt, Semi.
Shot in many FCSA comps, hunted and general destruction.
Currently residing on my Serbu Semi with a BORS system.
I can wholeheartedly recommend a Mark 4 LRT.
SJC
Have the same on my BA50C. Had it on there for years, and hundreds of rounds. Hit targets to 1k with it. A bit small for that rifle, but no issues nonetheless.

Wish I had a Steyr or Harris .50...

I have a USO ER25 on a DTA HTI. If that goddamn thing breaks I'll be shocked. IMO, they make awesome BMG scopes and have a lot of elevation, which is usually a big deal with BMG optics. They were $3000+ scopes new and can be found on the PX for a good deal pretty often. LR17 is another, I have that one on an SR25 and love that 3.2-17x range. Plenty of Mk4's too. Given the range of that beast I'd be all over a 5-25x. I'm not much for mag either, but in this case it kinda needed it.

MK4 is okay, when Mr. Barrett came to Ft. Lewis to talk to us about his new XM107 and give us the class, that's what they came with. The Mk4 didn't have sufficient elevation, even in a +MOA mount, in order to keep the reticle on the target at far ranges. FOV ain't exactly the best either but it ain't the worst. I like Mk4 --on my recce rifle and a 20" Grendel.

USO makes a new 2-20x --that's gotta be damn near perfect but I don't know the specifics on it. Yes, SWFA scopes are cheap and decent scopes that will take a beating. I know a guy that took a beat up 10x to Iraq to top off an M14/21 and it survived Mosul and dropped bad guys so I think it'll survive suburbia.

DTA recommends Kahles --their recommendations have been pretty much spot on IMO/E (the Elite Iron can is peerless for the BMG and the price is impossible to beat, they make great cans and this one is no exception, the 1 inch thick baffles look like art!)

I have that ACOG you mention, I use it on an M2. For FOV, it'll certainly get the job done and the reticle has a drop indicator that works out to just over a mile. I wouldn't want it on a rifle myself, but on the M2 it is the tits and there is no faster. I figure on putting an EoTech on that top rail, the one with the .50 BMG reticle. I suppose an ACOG on an M107 in a sentry role against light armored targets would be ideal but not on a "sniper" rifle.

If you DO get the ACOG, I'd wait until during/after Thanksgiving and see if Trijicon is gonna slip another one onto Amazon for half price. I no-shit scored mine for $1400 last year --asked if I wanted to "buy another" (sure, why not?) but price changed to $3k+. The green M2 reticle isn't worth the increase in cost IMO. It's by far the nicest ACOG and given it costs as much as a S&B it better be.

Finally, there's the Leupold Mk8 CQBSS (I think that's it?). It's 1-8x and they make it with a .50BMG reticle for the M2HB but you gotta ask. Note that these reticles are generally good for API and ball loaded to milspec velocity from a 45"bbl., but not so much custom loads using, say, 750gr. solids.

Non-mag but works with magnifiers:

Trijicon reflex sight (forget the name but it's the only one that's $4k+) --I really wanted this for the M2 but the cost was astronomical and besides, the ACOG plus an EoTech is probably a better option anyway.

EoTech: they make a regular reflex sight, look for the 50BMG reticle. They make or made a larger one for the M2. Technically, these will be your FOV kings. Also your cheapest option by far.

Aimpoint: they make what is basically an oversize $3k M68 red dot for one.

Dong In Optics (sp?) (the one you see military use sometimes) is a POS and overpriced IMO, I'd steer clear.

Last but not least, don't forget rings, I pretty much stick with Badger these days --solid and don't slip under recoil, don't fuck up the tubes doing it.

Hope that helps. BTDT in the BMG optics dept.

I can't help but think you'd be better served with an M2HB based on what I'm gleaning here, but I could be wrong. It's a LOT of fun though.

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_1014 (1).JPG

I push my 50 2000 yards with my swfa 16x eyebox is picky I can spot my impacts

Last edited:
Just slap some MagPul BUIS on there....according to some Internet posters....you just need to get close with the 50 and the shockwave will rip their head off....so I don't see the point in putting expensive optics on it... /sarcasm

I have a SWFA 3-15 FFP MIL/MIL on my 50 and could not be happier. Plenty of up to reach out there. My 50 weighs 23 pounds with glass so it is pretty brutal on scopes but the SWFA survived 40+ shots so far. It has a 20 MOA rail so I end up with a LOT of up with the SWFA.

The Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 I have only has 21 MILs of up under ideal conditions. In real world it wound up being closer to 10 MILs when zeroed at 100 yards. It is very crisp and clear, better than the SWFA, but the colors were muted compared to the SWFA and my Steiner M7. I did call and ask and was told it would survive on a 50.

Any SWFA under 16x will have 40 mils and above will have 30 mils. The 3-15 has 40 mils as well.

I use USO ER25s on a EDM 50 and Barrett 416 with Spuhr mounts and I have never had an issue with either one.

Hello, Did you ever settle on a scope for the 50?

Thanks for asking. I have not. I am still tossing it around.

Honestly, I usually try to fill the multiple optical needs with closeout specials. If I find an excellent deal the purchase will be forced upon me. You never know what will pop up. The other day I just missed a new Elcan 1.5-6 optic for just over $1,550.00. This was a blow out due to the 5.56 reticle. Too much optic for that round. Hence the price.

I can borrow a S&B 5-25 PM II MSR from another rig and determine if I like it. Another possibility to 'consider' is the Trijicon MGRS. The Steyr has an adjustable cheek rest that has a lot of range. That red-dot is probably the Cat's meow for mid range. It comes with an optional 3x magnifier. With the average Joe the fifty is not a precision rig. At least when comparing it to the other smaller modern options.

IM new to forums so IM just learning how to use this one. I came across your thread. I go to a few machine gun shoots and more than often it seems people put on a nightforce NXS. I agree with you though on the accuracy...Ive shot a few, they just arent precision rifles. Reloading helps from what I understand

This is a slow process and I hope to eventually try to re-load this cal as well.

I run a NF NXS now on my Barrett 99 but when I first got it, I had a US Optics ST10. Shot it with the ST10 out to 1K at a Thunder Valley when I lived in Ohio. Always served that gun well. Just lucked into a replacement scope for the 6.5 so the old glass got moved to the 50
25C3E4CE-FF92-4701-805B-A2417F65E5F3.jpeg

With the average Joe the fifty is not a precision rig. At least when comparing it to the other smaller modern options.

You are correct if the average Joe is shooting surplus ball ammo but careful reloading will increase precision. I have been running a NF NXS 8-32x56 with an Ivey adjustable base for three years and over 1000 rounds of high pressure loads with great results and no equipment failures.

lgbTKKD.jpg
Range 4.jpg
Ivey RTM50.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ralfabco