• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope choice for medium weight .243

dk-1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2007
Central, Ca.
I am currently putting together a Rem 700 varmint in .243... It will have a 22" factory barrel, B&C M40A1 stock, intended uses are coyotes and mule deer to 500 yards with the occasional squirrel shooting sessions out to 400 or so yards (I am also building a 22-250 to dedicate to this, but when my wife joins me I will use the .243).

I have been researching all the new scopes available and I think I have found what I require.... I need the scope to be slim (40-44 mm objective) and light weight because I may be packing long distances through steep and nasty terrain. I want a mil type reticle as that it what I am accustomed to. I want short knobs that I can still dial by hand (like the original 10x40 mark 4 on the m40) because I don't want to hang up in the brush or have my zero changed. Mil adjustments to match the reticle would be great, but not a deal killer. Glass needs to be on par with a mark 4 with excellent light gathering capabilities (some of those coyotes might be taken at night), illumated reticle would be a bonus. The scope needs to be rugged and retain it's zero after riding around in the pickup on a regular basis or packed into BFE. Must be variable power in the 2-10 (give or take) neighborhood. SFP is just fine, no need for FFP. A set parallax would be great, making those fast shots that much faster. Price range of around $500....

I have one scope in mind, but I don't want to reveal it yet. Let's hear some unbiased opinions.

Re: Scope choice for medium weight .243

Sounds like a good candidate for the new vortex hs lr line of scopes. Exposed elevation turret, capped windage. 44 mm objective with good glass and great warranty. Only thing lacking is the mil style reticle, for that you would need a pst

I agree with the Vortex line, possibly a Viper/Viper PST. The turrets are tight enough to stay put if it gets banged around, it maintains zero well, has two different illuminated reticle/turret options (moa/mrad), and falls into your magnification and objective size preference.

Mine (Vortex PST 1-4x MOA in an ADM QD mount) has been incredibly reliable through different conditions; wind, rain, hiking, dropped, etc. and has not shifted zero once.

Keep an eye out on the Post Exchange, you can come across them every once in a while in great condition within your price range.

Thanks for the input guys! The scope I had in mind was actually the new Leupold vx-r patrol in 3-9x40. Is seems to have all the needed requirements. I have owned 3 mark 4 scopes over the years, the 4.5-14x40 target mildot, 3.5-10x40 m2 TMR, and 10x40 mildot. I have a love for the 40 mil objective 30 mil tube Leupolds. I had an NXS 3.5-15x50 and sold it to get the 10x40, I was MUCH happier with the Leupold. I don't know how the VX-R line compares to the Mark 4 line, but they seem to share a lot of the same features. I just don't know much at all about the vortex scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input guys! The scope I had in mind was actually the new Leupold vx-r patrol in 3-9x40. Is seems to have all the needed requirements. I have owned 3 mark 4 scopes over the years, the 4.5-14x40 target mildot, 3.5-10x40 m2 TMR, and 10x40 mildot. I have a love for the 40 mil objective 30 mil tube Leupolds. I had an NXS 3.5-15x50 and sold it to get the 10x40, I was MUCH happier with the Leupold. I don't know how the VX-R line compares to the Mark 4 line, but they seem to share a lot of the same features. I just don't know much at all about the vortex scopes. </div></div>

sounds like your mind is made up. here is a little info about the vortex warrenty.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

its the thing that made me give vortex a try. quality made me stay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input guys! The scope I had in mind was actually the new Leupold vx-r patrol in 3-9x40. Is seems to have all the needed requirements. I have owned 3 mark 4 scopes over the years, the 4.5-14x40 target mildot, 3.5-10x40 m2 TMR, and 10x40 mildot. I have a love for the 40 mil objective 30 mil tube Leupolds. I had an NXS 3.5-15x50 and sold it to get the 10x40, I was MUCH happier with the Leupold. I don't know how the VX-R line compares to the Mark 4 line, but they seem to share a lot of the same features. I just don't know much at all about the vortex scopes. </div></div>

sounds like your mind is made up. here is a little info about the vortex warrenty.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

its the thing that made me give vortex a try. quality made me stay </div></div>

No sir, my mind is not made up. I just saw that scope and thought it would fit. If there is a better option out there I want to know about it. I just remember when the Falcon menace hit the scene and was supposed to kill the SS line.... I guess I'm a little wary when it comes to new manufacturers. Leupold has been around since my grandfather's time.

Ok, the PST 3.5-10x44 really has my attention!! Does anyone have a link to through the scope pics? I'm curious about the quality of the glass.

I looked around and got a Vortes HS with Dead hold Moa retical. The turrets are covered Im going to put it on a 300 WSM for up to 500 yds. Love the warranty and everyone seems to like thier scopes.

Im like you looking for a light weight rig.