• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope choice: Mil-Dot or BDC

Mr_Mayo

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2012
So I just got a .308 bolt gun bull barrel and I am having trouble deciding on a scope for it. Right now I have a 2-7x32 on it and at 100yds yesterdey I shot a 5 shot group of 1.098in (measured outside edge to outside edge) but at 200yds I shot a 10 shot group (I only had one target left and 10 rounds) that measured like 3.6in. I know the gun can definitely do half inch groups at 100 and inch size at 200 so i want to get a scope that will help me get there. I am looking at the Nikon M-308 4-16x42 with either BDC 800 retical or RAT but was wondering if a Mil-Dot scope of around the same price range ($500ish) would work better for me. I want to use this gun mainly for prone/bench rest shooting at the range but also for something I could hit head/man sized targets out to 800ish yds.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!
Thanks!

Re: Scope choice: Mil-Dot or BDC

Well, in that price range you can find some decent offerings. Most will be 2nd focal plane though. Read up on mildot and mil/mil/ vs mil/moa as explaining this over and over can get exhausting.

For a $500 price point you can find something in a Vortex, SWFA SS, Weaver.

The new Vortex 5-15x44 mil/mil is a popular choice, but out of stock till sep, one hide member has one for sale right meow.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3344036&gonew=1#UNREAD

Not affiliated, just I am constantly on the sales threads looking for crap I do not need.

If anything check out the optics sale thread, you can find some great deals.

Definitely a mil-dot or mil based reticle over a BDC. I don't like BDC but if I had to use one it would only be for hunting.

There are plenty of good options around $500-600.
SWFA SS 3-9x, Used Bushnell 3-12x 4200 (there's one in the classified section for $600), the Bushnell 10x 3200, Vortex PST, Leupold 3-9 Mark AR

I was hoping for something with some better zoom capibilities. 15x i think would be the lowest i want. That Vortex seems nice. If i was able to drop like $700-800 on a scope does the quality shoot up?

How much would a FFP be compared to a SFP?

That range you can get into a Weaver Tactical, 3-15x50 EMDR or 4-20x50 mil/mil ffp or for $900 range Vortex Viper PST mil/mil FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarlsonCustoms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe a Bushnell 32/4200 tactical series? I used a 5-15 version for awhile </div></div>

Agreed, I'm just replacing a Bushnell elite 4200 6-24, it did well by me. I only took it out to 600, but I don't have any doubt that the glass was clear enough to go out further.
That's a bit out of the price range (though not much), but you can probably pick one up used, or go with the 4-16.