• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope choices help please

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
am getting soon a tikka t3 varmit in 223-8" twist and am in a bit of a quandry re scope selection. $600 absolute max and <$500 would be even better. narrowwd it down to these: 1)nikon 3-12x44-the 223 model likely; 2)leupold mark AR 4-12x40; 3)weaver super slam 3-15x42 glass etched; 4)burris 3-12x44 signature select with AO mil dot. weight is somewhat of an issue as is balance. leupold is lightest by far. looking at/prefer 2-3x at the bottom and 12-16 at the top. don't like 30mm tubes/50mm+ reticles and don't really need their increased capabilities in my setting. have a 2.5-10x 30mm/50mm scope on my savage PC 308 and don't like it at all for balance and weight reasons. going back to my nikon 4-16x42 1" scope on it. i could put it on the tikka. then what would be the member's advice on the 308 PC? long goofy question post but any advise or input based on experience would be really helpful. thanks in advance.

Re: scope choices help please

well slap my taint and call me Suzy, In that case I'd get an NC Star

I would search for a good used 4.5-14x44 Zeiss conquest with target turrets and mildots. $600.00 will be tight but doable.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

VAJAY,etc what is your smart assed,obnoxious response supposed to mean?

Hang around long enough. It'll slap you right in the forehead!

All your prospective choices is useless without you saying what your intended use for this rig is going to be. Critter getter, paper puncher, F/TR, what?

Go to Midway and get the Weaver Tactical 15x with the Midway $50 off code.. $700. That extra $100 will be the best decisionyou decided to spend. If you don't, in a year you'll be like.. why didn't I just spend the extra $100 and get something far superior than what I got.

But since I just re-read and you don't like 30mm Tubes and 50mm Objs.. then I retract my comments.. kinda.

Good luck.

You should rethink the 30mm part.

Look into a Super Sniper 3-9 FFP or the Bushnell 3-12x44 tactical and buy used.

paper punching. n.cent. fl longest range inside of 2hr drive is 200yd. thanks to those who gave helpful,meaningful replies. weight and balance are issues,having had 30mm/50mm scopes in past. really don't need the extra cost,weight and capability. actually leaning toward leupold because of quality AND service. sent them an old variX3 2.5-8 to fix and they couldn't do it. so,sent me a brand new VX3 2.5-8x36-UNREAL product backup.