• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Clearance

flymaster87

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Can anyone tell me what the minimum clearance between the barrel and the objective on a scope should be? The rifle is a 338 lapua mag and i can barely slide 2 pieces of paper through the gap.

Re: Scope Clearance

Because of the high recoil of the rifle, as long as your protective objective lens cap clears the barrel you are good to go. For lower caliber rifles a lot of people use a credit card as a measuring tool.

I Hope this helps

Two pieces of paper sounds rather tight to me. If it were mine, I would try to get it a bit higher.

...as close as possible without them touching...obviously, to find this out, you would have to set it until they meet (bad)

...so, the credit card gap will be good.

You might try contact marking fluid (or lipstick) on the largest diameter section of the scope's objective bell and fire it to see if it is touching during recoil. I would shoot it a few times until the barrel gets hot and floppy just to make sure.

it depends. will you ever be throwing night vision on in front of it?

Even if I never intend to put anything in front, I still don't want it that close for potential heat factor if nothing else, plus never know the future will hold in terms of potential new lens covers.

just a little food for thought