• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope decision budget build. Kahles k624i

Jcaplinger199

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2019
Arlington, TX
Just bought a tikka t3x CTR from a guy on here. It’s 6.5 creed with the 20 inch barrel. Great price and always wanted one. This is going to be more of a budget build. I’ve been wanting a smaller build and a tikka for awhile. I plan to seeing how I like the CTR stock it will be either keeping that or buying a KRG bravo. This will be a range gun with long distance out to 1200yards and maybe some whitetail hunting shorter distances less than 400 yards.

Scopes I have currently:
ZCO 527 MPCT2
Leupold Mk5 3-18x44 PMR1

Scopes I’ve had previously:
Minox ZP5 5-25 x 2 both had to be sent back as they had major QC issues out of the box. I know scopes have problems but I won’t buy another minox optic.
Athlon Ares ETR
Athlon Cronus BTR
Vortex Razor Gen 2 3-18

Budget for this is ideally around 2k. I preface this with I’ve always wanted a kahles and I’m intrigued by the set up with the parallax knob. If cost wasn’t an issue I’d buy a ZCO 420.
I want to know what y’all think about getting a used k624i gen 3 if the price is right. I’ve read so many threads about the CA issue but other than that it seems to be all good things. I don’t think I’ll have a issue with the CA on this build and I’m willing to take the risk if the price is right. The only other scope I’ve considered in my budget is the new Burris xtr iii 5.5x30 their going for around $1450 brand new. I haven’t seen as many reviews on the 5.5x30 version. I don’t really want a NF or another leupold. If S&B fit the budget then like I said I’d buy another ZCO. Something else I should consider? Thoughts on K624i aside from the known CA issue.

I’ve seen and read so many scope advice threads. I tried to be as detailed as possible with this. Thanks for your time in advance.

I like my kahles. Excellent scopes. I shoot lefthand and like the parallax on top. There are some excellent deals in the px section right now. I need to quit looking at the optics section. 1800 is a great deal

I recently sold a Burris xtr3 3.3-18 and everything on it was great except for the glass. The glass was very bright but every single thing a had very strong purple color in it and when you are looking at multiple objects the edges of everything started to blend together. It might have just been mine but I was not thrilled with it. I’m looking at moving to a razor gen 2 or Bushnell now.

I recently sold a Burris xtr3 3.3-18 and everything on it was great except for the glass. The glass was very bright but every single thing a had very strong purple color in it and when you are looking at multiple objects the edges of everything started to blend together. It might have just been mine but I was not thrilled with it. I’m looking at moving to a razor gen 2 or Bushnell now.
My XTR III 3.3-18 had CA but not that bad, something must have been wrong. I used to have a Kahles K624i and loved everything about it except for the CA, it was like you mentioned for the XTR III, I saw purple edges everywhere. I literally just picked up an XTR III 5.5-30x56 and it’s a keeper, not quite on par with my Minox ZP5 5-25 but very impressive for the price (OP, sorry you had a bad experience, they are great scopes, but a bad experience can ruin it, I understand).

To the OP, if you don’t think you’ll be bothered by the CA the K624i is an excellent scope with high resolution, fantastic turrets and a unique parallax and if you can find a good one under $2k it should serve you well for a long time.

Another option is the Vortex AMG 6-24, mine was very close in quality to the Kahles but handles CA much better.

In the end it really comes down to reticle, choose the scope that has the reticle that you think will help you the most for your style of shooting. All these scopes should serve you well.

Last edited:
I've owned five of the K624i scopes...only reason I ever sold any of them was because a customer wanted a couple of the Gen II models that I had - one that was on a complete custom M700 in 6x47 I sold him, and another Gen II that I sold him for a 6.5 Creed AR10. I used the funds from the sales of these two Gen IIs to purchase replacement Gen III scopes, and still have them on three of five Bighorn comp rifles. I spend a whole lot more time behind Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scopes on V-22s, or less expensive Ares BTR & Midas TAC scopes on Howa Mini custom builds, so it's always a pleasure to take one of the rifles with a Kahles down to the range for some trigger time. I'd buy another couple of these scopes (would probably stick with the 6-24x56 rather than springing for the newer 5-25x56) if I really needed another high-end optic. The CA has never bothered me, whether during a match, or while shooting here at home, from 600-1000yds.

I used the Khales AMR 624i for years...and I really love it. Hundreds of hours behind it. The conditions have to be just right for me to even notice the CA. Like orange dots in bright light...but never notice it during a match. Just a solid, solid optic.

Is my ZCO better? Sure in a few ways—like clarity and eye box. But every time I settle in behind the Khales, its like seeing an old friend. I just settle right in.

For your build, weight goal and ZCO basline....I think a used one ~ $1900 would be a good fit!

ZY

Just bought a tikka t3x CTR from a guy on here. It’s 6.5 creed with the 20 inch barrel. Great price and always wanted one. This is going to be more of a budget build. I’ve been wanting a smaller build and a tikka for awhile. I plan to seeing how I like the CTR stock it will be either keeping that or buying a KRG bravo. This will be a range gun with long distance out to 1200yards and maybe some whitetail hunting shorter distances less than 400 yards.

Scopes I have currently:
ZCO 527 MPCT2
Leupold Mk5 3-18x44 PMR1

Scopes I’ve had previously:
Minox ZP5 5-25 x 2 both had to be sent back as they had major QC issues out of the box. I know scopes have problems but I won’t buy another minox optic.
Athlon Ares ETR
Athlon Cronus BTR
Vortex Razor Gen 2 3-18

Budget for this is ideally around 2k. I preface this with I’ve always wanted a kahles and I’m intrigued by the set up with the parallax knob. If cost wasn’t an issue I’d buy a ZCO 420.
I want to know what y’all think about getting a used k624i gen 3 if the price is right. I’ve read so many threads about the CA issue but other than that it seems to be all good things. I don’t think I’ll have a issue with the CA on this build and I’m willing to take the risk if the price is right. The only other scope I’ve considered in my budget is the new Burris xtr iii 5.5x30 their going for around $1450 brand new. I haven’t seen as many reviews on the 5.5x30 version. I don’t really want a NF or another leupold. If S&B fit the budget then like I said I’d buy another ZCO. Something else I should consider? Thoughts on K624i aside from the known CA issue.

I’ve seen and read so many scope advice threads. I tried to be as detailed as possible with this. Thanks for your time in advance.

Give us a call at 916-670-1103, we'll discuss some options with you :)

My XTR III 3.3-18 had CA but not that bad, something must have been wrong. I used to have a Kahles K624i and loved everything about it except for the CA, it was like you mentioned for the XTR III, I saw purple edges everywhere. I literally just picked up an XTR III 5.5-30x56 and it’s a keeper, not quite on par with my Minox ZP5 5-25 but very impressive for the price (OP, sorry you had a bad experience, they are great scopes, but a bad experience can ruin it, I understand).

To the OP, if you don’t think you’ll be bothered by the CA the K624i is an excellent scope with high resolution, fantastic turrets and a unique parallax and if you can find a good one under $2k it should serve you well for a long time.

Another option is the Vortex AMG 6-24, mine was very close in quality to the Kahles but handles CA much better.

In the end it really comes down to reticle, choose the scope that has the reticle that you think will help you the most for your style of shooting. All these scopes should serve you well.

How would you compare the k624i vs vortex amg. I like both reticles the skmr3 and ebr7b. Aside from tube diameter and objective diameter they appear to have nearly the same specs on paper. The xtriii 5.5-30 new, k624i used and amg used are all around the same price point

How would you compare the k624i vs vortex amg. I like both reticles the skmr3 and ebr7b. Aside from tube diameter and objective diameter they appear to have nearly the same specs on paper. The xtriii 5.5-30 new, k624i used and amg used are all around the same price point
They are all fantastic scopes. Best turrets - Kahles. Locking turrets - AMG. Lightest weight - AMG. Cheapest price - XTR III. Widest FOV - XTR III. Ambidextrous parallax - Kahles. Warranty: Vortex > Burris > Kahles. You really can’t go wrong with any of them, at $3k I would have told you the Kahles is overpriced but all of these are below $2k and at that price they’re all excellent choices. Used the XTR III is probably about $400-$600 cheaper than the AMG and Kahles if that makes a difference but you’ll have to be okay with no illumination. I will say this, I did not like the EBR-7b reticle on paper and was nervous about that but through the scope it looked much better, the new EBR-7c has the center dot which I typically prefer.

Reactions: Mxridr