• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope decision Help?

testedone

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
TN
www.repentandlive.org
Ok, so I have both in my hands. I have an AR10 and plan to start actually trying to learn how to shoot properly, techniques etc and also understand the computational side of long range shooting (for me that's over 100 yards).

So they may not be the best but they are what I have in my hands.

1. Millet TRS-1 4-16 (I don't know what model as I got it used for 99 bucks)

2. SS 10x42

If you were starting out you would probably say get a mil/mil scope

But since I got both for a steal it is what it is...

What do you guys suggest I mount on this rifle for 200-600 yard..

Thanks

Re: Scope decision Help?

I would say either scope will more than meet you needs. I currently have a Millett TRS-1 on my .308 bolt rifle and had a SS 20x42 on my LR-308. Both scopes worked great, and I've used both to hit steel at 700-800yds. The glass in the 2 scopes was comparable, and both tracked well and held zero. The Millett had better clicks, and I liked the reticle better than the SS.
I have since replaced the SS 20x42 because: a) I prefer a variable, and b) 20x was really overkill for a fixed scope.
I will say that if you, like myself, like to use your scope for spotting your hits, the TRS on 16x will allow you to see .30 hits at 200-300 yds.
Also, if you are ever shooting against a dark background, the TRS-1's IR on the lowest setting will help you see your reticle on your target.
As far as durability goes, the SS would take that category. I have heard some people have had problems with Millett scopes, but I've never heard about any issues with a SS scope.
At this point I have close to 900rds of .308 under my TRS, and have had 0 issues with it, so that would be my personal choice, but you'll have to decide what's best for you.
I would say that whichever you decide to mount, you should definitely keep the other. You never know when you might need a backup, or decide to pick up another rifle.

By the way, All my scopes are mil/moa. Not the most popular, but it works for me.

Thanks for the feedback i think I will start with the SS 10x42 fr now and put the Millet on my .22LR and play with them both

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Testedone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so I have both in my hands. I have an AR10 and plan to start actually trying to learn how to shoot properly, techniques etc and also understand the computational side of long range shooting (for me that's over 100 yards).

2. SS 10x42

Thanks

</div></div>

Easy answer to that.
Try them both under identical conditions as possible and keep the one that suits and works best for you.

That's what I'm doing with my Weaver tactical 5-20x50 and the Falcon Menace 4-14x44.
Whichever one I like and works the best will stay atop my Remington Police 7mm Mag and the other one will be sold.
smile.gif

Yeah but that would make sense..
grin.gif
I guess my concern is should I start the basics with a fixed or variable power?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Czech</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Testedone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so I have both in my hands. I have an AR10 and plan to start actually trying to learn how to shoot properly, techniques etc and also understand the computational side of long range shooting (for me that's over 100 yards).

2. SS 10x42

Thanks

</div></div>

Easy answer to that.
Try them both under identical conditions as possible and keep the one that suits and works best for you.

That's what I'm doing with my Weaver tactical 5-20x50 and the Falcon Menace 4-14x44.
Whichever one I like and works the best will stay atop my Remington Police 7mm Mag and the other one will be sold.
smile.gif
</div></div>