• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for 6.5 Grendel build

ColoRye

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2018
I’m putting together a new 16” 6.5 Grendel build and am trying to decide which scope to pair with it. The build will have a Wilson Combat barrel and I live in Colorado (shorting at 5,000’ elevation or more), and I’d like to be able to reach out to 1,000 yards when I’m shooting steel. I’ll also occasionally use this rifle for deer hunting, but likely at 350 yards or less.

I’d like to keep my budget in the $1,000 or under range, but might stretch a little for the right glass. What are your recommendations?

If you don't mind the weight (25oz) and the country of manufacture (China), Athlon Helos Gen2 2-12 FFP

There’s an LRHS2 in PX for $900 asking. I have multiple LRHS/LRTS, both illum and not, on Grendel builds, as well as an LRHS2 on a 20” Wilson Combat setup. Very good glass and tracking, useable reticle and not overly heavy. A solid choice in my experience, and well suited to your intended purposes.

Reactions: YotaEer and JDB55
There’s an LRHS2 in PX for $900 asking. I have multiple LRHS/LRTS, both illum and not, on Grendel builds, as well as an LRHS2 on a 20” Wilson Combat setup. Very good glass and tracking, useable reticle and not overly heavy. A solid choice in my experience, and well suited to your intended purposes.
Thanks, I saw that. I have a couple of Bushnell Elite Tacticals that are fantastic. It looks like GA precision has that same scope for sale for $939 new.

These are awesome

If you don't mind the MIC scopes, I'm running an Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 VPR MIL scope on my 20" 6.5 Grendel DMR rig. It's sitting in their 1-piece 20 MOA mount. So far, it's been a really great setup for the money.

2BEC0B39-20A7-44CE-81CB-80874B4993FB.jpeg

Reactions: z71rat
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments. You're timing is PERFECT, as we are starting our Father's Day Sale.

I have an LRHSi 4.5-18 on my 16” Wilson combat barreled Grendel. Works well and is a much better scope than the Helos 2-12x.

My 16” WC barrel shoots great but I wish I went with the 18” barrel.

The arken posted above is currently 30 percent off from Arken. So 325 bucks new.
I put a strike eagle on mine from the px. Got it for 540 shipped.

Reactions: FuhQ
I have an LRHSi 4.5-18 on my 16” Wilson combat barreled Grendel. Works well and is a much better scope than the Helos 2-12x.

My 16” WC barrel shoots great but I wish I went with the 18” barrel.
I’ll be shooting exclusively with a suppressor.

I’ll be shooting exclusively with a suppressor.

So am I. I think the weight gain of 6 Oz (16” recon barrel vs 18” fluted recon barrel) is worth the 50 fps gain. JMO. I’ll be getting a fluted 18” after this one is shot out.

Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50
The Burris XTR III is what I'd buy if I needed a new scope under $1k for my Grendel. Hell, I don't even need a new scope, and I'm really tempted to pick one up. If my wife and I didn't just have our first baby, I would have definitely bought one already...

If you don't mind the weight (25oz) and the country of manufacture (China), Athlon Helos Gen2 2-12 FFP
The Athlon Ares BTR and ETR are within the OP's budget and much better optics than the Helos. If you only have $500, the Helos Gen 2 is solid. With $1,000, you can do much better.

The Burris XTR III is what I'd buy if I needed a new scope under $1k for my Grendel. Hell, I don't even need a new scope, and I'm really tempted to pick one up. If my wife and I didn't just have our first baby, I would have definitely bought one already...

The Athlon Ares BTR and ETR are within the OP's budget and much better optics than the Helos. If you only have $500, the Helos Gen 2 is solid. With $1,000, you can do much better.
Congratulations on the baby!

Reactions: drewthebrave
Save the money, use a scope you already own. Use the scope money for ammo or another build

These are actually pretty good and balance perfectly on a gas gun. I have one on my 16" 308. Would really kick ass with an offset red dot.

These are actually pretty good and balance perfectly on a gas gun. I have one on my 16" 308. Would really kick ass with an offset red dot.
The Helos BTR looks interesting with the multipurpose reticle, and it would probably be my first choice if I needed an optic under $500. I have an Ares BTR 2.5-15x on my SPR as well and it suits the gun well at 27 ounces (only 2 more than the Helos - and a step above it in the product stack). It's on sale for $700 right now at CameraLand.

The Burris XTR III 3-18x is heavier at 29.8 oz and is Made in USA.

I personally just don't like big-ass Hubble scopes on gas guns. 2-12 Athlon, 2.5-10 NF, 3-9 SWFA (or 6x) is about all I want up there. I realize others disagree here.

30% off on all in stock Arken Optics. Tough to beat, especially for that price. They are priced low anyways, but 30% less is great!

I’m putting together a new 16” 6.5 Grendel build and am trying to decide which scope to pair with it. The build will have a Wilson Combat barrel and I live in Colorado (shorting at 5,000’ elevation or more), and I’d like to be able to reach out to 1,000 yards when I’m shooting steel. I’ll also occasionally use this rifle for deer hunting, but likely at 350 yards or less.

I’d like to keep my budget in the $1,000 or under range, but might stretch a little for the right glass. What are your recommendations?
[/QUOT
Min 20” bull profile, any 16” will be overheated after 8 to 10 rounds, and once the ball is too hot to touch, he won’t make 300 yards, anything for the long range target has to be a heavy barrel as the thin profile stuff just heats up too quick then you’re stuck waiting 20 minutes for it to cool off for the accuracy to come back, That said for that round just pick up up ready to go complete upper 22 inch or 24 inch , or better yet Go to 224 Valkyrie, as it smokes the Grendel and reaches all the way out to 1300.