• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for a M1A

ak0prter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
TX
Dose anyone have a recomendation for a scope on a M1A? My goal is 1,000 yards. Im still new to anything over 300-350 yards so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

Re: Scope for a M1A

Hopefully under $800 but I could go over some. I have been looking alot at the Springfield Govt scope 7.62 with the drop compensator built in.

Springfield scopes suck ass, run away from them fast, a great scope to learn with is a Super Sniper 10x, and for mount get a Sadlak.

After looking on here for a while I started to look at the Sightron SIII 6-24 X 50, but I believe I still have some learning to do. But i will check out the Super Sniper also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Springfield scopes suck ass, run away from them fast, a great scope to learn with is a Super Sniper 10x, and for mount get a Sadlak. </div></div>

+1...

I ran a steel Sadlak, it was rock solid and I could still use my irons......
and the SS 10x is nice for the cash
another to consider is the Sightron SIII 10x/16x, really clear, Gen II mildot style reticle and 150 MOA of adjustment...

10x sucks ass if yer doin anything but long distance. get that stick in a wooded environ and yer hosed. for an all around usable rifle id get a quality 3-9. for one thing m1a is usually a 1moa+ piece anyway so assuming a need to 1000 may be pushing things abit. also consider yer gonna wanna mount any scope you get as low as possible cuz they sit too high on a m1a to start with. prolly wouldnt hurt to try for a mildot retical or some other holdoff type so you can maximize the quick handling/followup capability inherent to running a semi. if yer dialin shots at 1000 a bolt gun is better. just some humble thoughts. may the force be with you.

Well I'd love to have a rem 700 in 7.62 also but I got the M1A and have met and seen people doing it with that rifle so I figured I'd give it a try. I plan on geting a bolt gun asap but I would still like to set this one up.

Sadlak mount (I've got the Airborne, just cause I liked the look), and a SS 3x9 FFP mil/mil is a good start. for about the same, you could get the new Bushnell Elite 4300 3x12 FFP - but I know the SS 3x9 lives up to the M1A, as that is what I have.

You'll need some kind of cheekpiece, as any mount + scope on a M1A is too high for a normal cheekweld. I really didn't want to drill my nice walnut, so I got a 1 1/4" pad leather/velcro wrap around one from cheeknstock http://www.cheeknstock.com/order_form.html

That will get you out to 300 no problem. I'd say do that, then, worry about going out to 1,000 with that rig - you may opt for another rifle - but if you can successfully go 1,000 with the M1A, good on you

For a semi-auto .308 I'm partial to a 10x top end variable. The M1A is tough on scopes so ruggedness is important. The SIII are great choices, either in the 3.5-10x, fixed 10x, or the 6-24 you mention (more than I would pick but to each his own).

The SIII have lots of reticle travel which is a boon on a high mounted scope.

Second the notion to avoid the SA scopes....

Scott

I put one of the GI Check leather cheek pieces on my M1A and it works well for getting a good shooting position. In the $800 range I would go with any of the Leupold Vari X III scopes that you favor. I used a Vari X III 6.5-20x40 EFR on mine with excellent results out to 500 yards.

I am working on the same thing for my new M1A.
All I know is that I shot a Leupold VX II 3-9 till it wouldn't adjust for elevation anymore when I was a DSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Springfield scopes suck ass, run away from them fast, a great scope to learn with is a Super Sniper 10x, and for mount get a Sadlak. </div></div>

427cobra , I was wondering if you have ever own'd or have ever used a Springfield scope?

I have a 4x14 3rd gen that I have been using for long range (out to 1000)the last 10 or so years and love it, I have never had any problem with it holding zero, or being repetable on moa.
I just wanted to hear your take on it..
Thanks.

I have looked at the cheeck piece that straps on a couple times, but I'm just going to get a new stock so I can free float the barrel. But I have looked at a broad range of scopes.

I have a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 on a Smith Enterprises mount on mine. Almost the same as a Sadlak mount.
It is a bit more than your $800 price point, but if you can, look through one and see what you think.

I don't know about to 1000yd, but to 500 it is perfect for me. Unless you have a custom made NM gun, then my off the shelf scout is only good for 2 MOA on a good day, there is very little chance of me hitting anything at 1000.

madd0c

I have a M1A set up as my DMR. I run Mcmillian A3 stock with Arms #18 mount and Lupy MK 4 3.5x10x40 TMR.
Nice set up...
Good luck.

USO 1.8-10x44, nowhere near $800, but buy once, cry once. Save up some cash if you can, well worth the wait.

For 1k if you want a scope that will be there for a long time look hard at saving more money and upping your budget for a USO ST-10. If not a SWFA SSHD would be the next lower I would go with. I have heard great things about many of the superb mounts out there so take heed of what you see herein

I have the Bassett low picatinny mount on my NM M1A. On and off with one bolt.Makes it really easy to go from irons to optics and back. Takes longer to remove the cheekpiece,lol. Check 'em out, they're made in Texas.

2110w1e.jpg

nqu07d.jpg

I used some Burris Signature Z rings (med) with a 20moa insert to mount a Zeiss 4.5 x 14 Conquest. Will easily get to 1000yds. I can highly recomend this setup.With your budget you might think about getting a used real good scope instead of a new not so good one. Just my humble opinion.

That's a beautiful rig, what kind of bipod is that? I'm looking for one to mount on my rifle untill I can get the new stock, but that looked good and I wouldn't mind keeping the original stock on it. Also I have looked at some used scopes on eBay to see what's out there and thy is prob a good idea. Thanks for the tip about being made in Texas, I'm proud to support my local guys and thirty gear.

I ran a good number of mounts on a Springfield Supermatch, had poor results with the ARMS #18 and the best results with the Smith Enterprise base.

Now I am going to tell you something you dont want to hear, I was able to shoot better with the match sights than any scope/mount configuration I ran, they just are not very well suited for optics mounting.

Here is a pic of the Smith mount, and a SS10x I tried on it, with good results

Picture241.jpg

I have a vortex pst on order for my m1a, but for now, I am running my 8-32x56 NXS:

IMG_0192.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pic of the Smith mount, and a SS10x I tried on it, with good results
</div></div>

For the OP's budget, that is exactly the setup I'd recommend. The old SS scopes are proven performers, they take abuse better than scopes three times their price.

I already own it, but its not a NM version. Its the full size not the scout model. Once I figure out how to post pics then ill post one so everyone can see what I am working with.

Ok cool thanks, I have looked alot at the Harris Bipods but Im still not sure on which one I will use. How did you mount it? I havent tried yet but it almost looks like you can use a stud mount like on a bolt gun. The guy that sold the rifle to me said that you cant put a bipod on this rifle without changing the stock, and Im happy i didnt listen to him. But I was wonering if you had to screw it into the stock or if it just mounts in front of the sling.

Unless you change out the stock front swivel, you can't mount a bipod onto a standard stock without screwing it into the stock (and you would still need to take off the stock swivel).
If you want to mount the bipod in a quick detach manner, you need to replace the stock front swivel with one with a picatiny rail.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/MAParts.htm

scroll down to:
Stock Front Swivel, with Rail, for M14 or M1A Stocks

Very easy to install. Just dremel the rivets on the INSIDE of the stock to the front swivel, and the new swivel with rail bolts in. Use Blue locktite on the bolts(Red if you never ever plan on taking it off without a heat gun), they get jarrred quite a bit.

Next get whatever Bipod you decide on, If you get a Harris, then you need to add a:
ARMS QD Bipod Mount, for Rail

on the same page above.

It is then a simple QD Bipod, and very sturdy.
madd0c

Awsome, thanks for the link and all the advise. Is Harris the best bipod for the M1A? or is the 7.62 recoil a little to much for it for long term shooting?

Never had a problem with a Harris bipod on any of my 308s. thousands of rounds.

Will probably try an atlas on my next rifle just because of all the great reviews they get.

Here is a couple pictures of mine i posted in another thread about my duracoting the stock:
IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

As an M1A owner, I would also suggest Sadlak or Smith for the base, and avoid over-scoping the gun. With a gigantic scope, an M1A can be unwieldy. But that is just my personal opinion. Mine has a Kahles 6x mildot, which is not optimal, but still pretty good. A guy gave me a deal on the 6x and I just could not pass it up.

Sean,

Please note that no matter what mounting system you purchase or optics you choose, a semi auto M14 style weapon will be VERY difficult to use effectively at 1,000 yds.

Why?

Because of the gas system, trying to push the bullet fast enough to remain stable at that distance will be destructive on your expensive weapon.

Please don't take my word for it, use the internet and search using M14, M14SA, or M1A (registered trademark)
We used to shoot these at 1000 with M118 Special Ball and M852 7.62 LakeCity Match.

I do not wish to rain on your parade, but would like to inform you what you are in for. Some of the new VLD type bullets will help......but still a daunting task.

Respectfully,

Jetmd

I love the oppions and critisims, it all means alot to the overall picture, like I have said to a couple people, I'm the anoying new guy at the long distance range. I plan on buying a rem 700 .308 to get serious with but I already have the m1a so want to get started with this one. Besides I think it's a beautiful rifle and can't wait to push it limits as well as my own. Any and all advise and critics are welcome to speak their oppions. Thanks for the help everyone,

Sean

Sean,I have had good success with my rifle out to 1000yds.The 308 can tend to get funky after around 900 yds with 168 gr bullets, I and many others have had good success with 175 smk.

I'm using a Shepherd P2 3X10X40 on mine.. Just my 2 cents... Good luck my your build....

go with a mark 4 u can shoot it on anything while your learning and they are tough as nails. 11000 in us army alone none returned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Wardell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also look on here there sold everyday.</div></div>

Sgt Wardell you posted 29 times in one day.....that has to make the record book? What are do you have to sell?

Sir
I am shooting a Sightron SIII 8-32 on a long range competition rifle (bolt action). Glass is great, tracking is excellent and I have 1000+ rounds (most pretty hot) with the scope and she is still going strong.

BTW, IMHO you can do no better than working with Scott at Liberty Optics! they are great to work with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sreid87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dose anyone have a recomendation for a scope on a M1A? My goal is 1,000 yards. Im still new to anything over 300-350 yards so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean</div></div>

Here's an idea, for now, forget the scope. Just bed the barreled action, get a sling, and add a mat and a spotting scope to your kit. Then, take your M1A to the 1000 yard line for NRA LR competition, Service Rifle Division. From such a perspective, you'll learn more about what good shooting is all about than possible with the big ass scope, which is, for you, a distraction to marksmanship. Of course, I'm assuming you want to learn about good shooting, and that you have an interest in becoming an extraordinary shooter, not someone who just wants to execute the firing task.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sreid87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dose anyone have a recomendation for a scope on a M1A? My goal is 1,000 yards. Im still new to anything over 300-350 yards so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean</div></div>

Here's an idea, for now, forget the scope. Just bed the barreled action, get a sling, and add a mat and a spotting scope to your kit. Then, take your M1A to the 1000 yard line for NRA LR competition, Service Rifle Division. From such a perspective, you'll learn
more about what good shooting is all about than possible with the big ass scope, which is, for you, a distraction to marksmanship. Of course, I'm assuming you want to learn about good shooting, and that you have an interest in becoming an extraordinary shooter, not someone who just wants to execute the firing task. </div></div>

Thanks for the advise with forget the scope for now. I actually met a guy that lives near me on the hide the other day that invited me to a service rifle comp. I think I'm going to just do that for now to do as you said, become a better marksman not just a trigger puller. Anyone in or around Houston pm me, let's hit the range.

Good advise to become proficent with the iron sights first. Then as time takes it's toll and your eyes preclude the use of irons for LD shooting a scope will be important. That's the way it went for me.

For what it's worth: I love my M-1A but you saved yourself much time and frusteration with that decision. I have tried most every mount and optic combination on the M-14 family for years. I've had luck with some, but the bottom line is you end up running out of elevation, finding out your receiver isn't to spec, fighting to get a consistant "chin" weld, and spending the cost of a new weapon on an aftermarket stock. Besides, the 168gr is only good out to about 800yds, the 173gr special close to 1000yds. The 175gr LR will get you there but it will beat the weapon to death doing it (ask me how I know). Keep the M-1A in its stock configuration and challenge yourself with the factory sights. You will be amazed at what you can hit with a little practice and patience. If you still have the bug grab a 700P or 700SS 5R, put the best glass you can afford on it and throw some M118LR 175gr down range. How far you want to hit is directly proportional to how much you have to spend. If you are serious about long range look at a long-action in .300 winmag.

I've got an LRB M-25 with a Leupold Vari- X III 3.5 x 10 x 50 mm, illuminated mil-dot on it.
The rifle was built to NM specs and is in a McMillan A-3 stock with the adjustable cheekrest.
With 168 SMK's @ 2575 fps, that scope will get me out to about 650yds. I've had it out to 700 and have to use my 600 yard zero and hold on the first mil-dot. IPSC silhouettes are doable at 700 and I want to try longer ranges.
I'm looking at the Leupold Mark 4 in the 2.5 X 8 and the 3.5 X 10 with a TMR reticle or the Nightforce 2.5 X 10. Right now I'm leaning towards the Nightforce.

I, DON'T KNOW WHY THE SPRINGFIELD 4X14X56 IS GETTING A BAD REP. I've had one on a Springfield, Supper National Match, In 7.62 x.51 , and have no problems with it. With that said the only ammo I, use is 168gr. F.M.J.B.T.H.P. Match Ammo.. And when Reloading I get as close as possible to the Factory ammo as I can. Mine is of as you call it Third Gen. At 1000 Meters I get bored hitting the Rams head every time, I , don't have anything bad to say about it, now the Mount is the best, & not a Springfield, It's the one with only 1 Mounting Stud. Iv'e had it so long I,don't remember whats it called, only that the mount is not cheep, back then it was to the best of my knowledge $175.00 +/-...As I , Have said with over 2000 Rounds of ammo ran in that fine weapon, I have not had any problems, only make sure it stays tight, Meaning the mount, & there is a tool for that mount that they send with it. My Scope always holds it zero, however there are better scopes , but for the price that I paid I'm happy with it. PS: All shooting was done on the bench, and I"m always wrapped tight. Thanks, GUNS4U.....