• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes scope for a savage 17hmr

aiden_1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2010
I have a savage model 93r17 and wanting to get a good scope to get me out to 300yds. I had a bsa sweet 17 and it doesnt track right at all, so I need something to get to 300yds you guys have any suggestions?

Re: scope for a savage 17hmr

I have the same rifle and I just recently put a leapers 4-16x40 AO with red/green illumination on it. The glass is plenty good for the 200 yd shots on varmints I make. the eyebox is tight, you can't move your head around much w/o loosing sight picture at high mag levels. It has Mil dot ret (a little thick at low mag levels) and exposed and lockable turrets. My only experience with tracking so far is during sight in. It made accurate moves at 100 yds.
There is a lot of light leakage at high illumination settings but I never need the high intensity anyway.

for the $70 I paid for it, I like it. and it comes with picatinny rings (pretty cheap aluminum castings but it is a rimfire)

tater

Im in the same situation, got the BSA sweet 17 a while back before I knew anything about glass. Cant wait to take it off and put something else on it. (4x32 would be fine for me..)

Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40.

This is a mid-priced quality product as basement prices. Glass is good. Clicks are the best in that price range.

A Super Sniper 3-9x would also be a good choice.

Look into some of the Vortex scopes. They may fit your bill with magnification and should track a little better. Vortex also stands behind their product. The Crossfire I believe is their most economical model. Depending on your budget, the sky is the limit. Let us know what you are looking to spend.

Cheep, and ok glass. Walmart has the Centerpoint 4-12x40 ill-mildot for $70.

Going to buy a couple more.

I just bought a Konuspro M30 4-16x50 IR to go on my AR. I really like it so far. I have only been able to sight the rifle in but it tracked very well and I love the blue illuminated rect. I also like the knobs are exposed but have locks. Another thing I like is that it has the knobs that can be set back to zero after making adjustments. Glass is real close to my Nikon Monarchs on my hunting rifles... Oh, I almost forgot. it has the anti cant?? bubble inside the scope. It's like a bubble in a level. assures that you are level...
Good luck!!!

keep the suggestions coming cause i just got a savage 17 btvss and need glass

My budget is about 150. I dont wanna put alot into because Im not going to be using it all the time. I know what I dont want an illuminated reticle or mildot reticle if I can keep from it. I really just want a regular reticle with target turrets. Maybe a 3-9x40 to a 4-12x44, something in that range.

I'd go with the Mueller APT 4.5-14 it is a great scope for the money. 30mm tube, mildot and will focus down to 10 yds. The tracking has been repeatable from 50-200 yards on my .22lr

Vortex viper series with side parralax adj(non PST for the budget). Mueller is a bit less but the glass is decent and they track well for the money. Nikon buckmasters. Bushnell Elites. Even the Konus M30 would do fine for the .17 hmr but it's a bit heavy.

anyone use a nikko sterling? thats what im leaning towards but have 0 experience with one

It's maybe a little more than you are looking for but i have a 4-16x50 millett on my .17 and love it. Glass is great, tracks well. No problems for me.

This being said, it sounds like 4 out of 5 scopes from millet are good but..... i must have bought one of the good ones.

Went down to Academy (christmas gift card) and found a Nikon prostaff 3-9x50 for $149. I know this doesn't have target turrets but it has excellent glass for the money and a standard type reticle.

I figured a 50mm obj would look funny on the little 17 but it was the same price as the 40mm so a no brainer IMO was to get the 50. Good luck on your find.

I have a Tasco 10-40x50 Target/Varmint on mine. It has fine crosshairs with 1/8" target dot.

I have had good luck with Nikons. I have monarchs on my 2 deer rifles and also on my 17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62Texan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went down to Academy (christmas gift card) and found a Nikon prostaff 3-9x50 for $149. I know this doesn't have target turrets but it has excellent glass for the money and a standard type reticle.

I figured a 50mm obj would look funny on the little 17 but it was the same price as the 40mm so a no brainer IMO was to get the 50. Good luck on your find. </div></div>

I bought a Sight Mark 8.25-25X50 for my Savage 17 HMR. My TR .22 LR wears a Sight Mark 4-16X44. I stumbled onto these scopes at the local gun shop. These scopes return to zero, have good glass & Mil Dot reticles. They are in the $200.00 to $250.00 range. Check them out at sightmark.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheep, and ok glass. Walmart has the Centerpoint 4-12x40 ill-mildot for $70.

Going to buy a couple more. </div></div>

+1

Thats whats on my 22. decent scope.

I had a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on mine and I loved that scope. I then thought I would upgrade to a Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 side focus but 4.5x for hunting squirrel in the woods proved to be a bit much so I went back to my 3-9 Prostaff.

If you're not going to be hunting tree rats at closer ranges, Buckmasters or Monarch 4.5-14 might do you well.

I have a Bushnell 4200 ELITE 3-9x40

Glass is good, nice and clear. Only thing that sucks is that the reticle is plain and the turrets aren't able to be zero'ed... which blows if you shoot out to 300-400 yards with a 17hmr... which is what I do from time to time.

so no ones using the nikko stirling? how bout a weaver 4-16x42 fine cross hair or fc dot? no side focus though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Bushnell 4200 ELITE 3-9x40

Glass is good, nice and clear. Only thing that sucks is that the reticle is plain and the turrets aren't able to be zero'ed... which blows if you shoot out to 300-400 yards with a 17hmr... which is what I do from time to time.

</div></div>

300-400yds? Wow, no wind right?