• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for a stainless 30-30

silverstang

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2011
Texas
I bought a new Marlin 30-30 for a brush gun, and had to have the shiny one haha.

My girl is also going to be shooting it somewhat during hunting season, so I want to scope it for her.

I'm leaning towards a 3-9, possibly a silver Zeiss Conquest.

Any other scope recommendations? I'm not stuck on a Zeiss, and I would actually prefer something a little cheaper. I would like to keep it silver/stainless in color to match the gun.

Also, any suggestions on mounting it? My brother has a Marlin 30-30 with the "see-thru" scope mounts. I found them in Stainless, but I'm not sure about using them.

Re: Scope for a stainless 30-30

I am not sure who makes silver colored scopes, but on a 30-30 brush gun you should go with less magnification.

Leupold 1.5-5, or something in the 2-7 range like a Kahles should fit the bill without costing too much.

Scopes are a very personal choice, but I'd look at a fixed 2.5X or 4X for a 30-30. Keep it fairly light, compact, and handy, like the rifle itself.

Check out the DNZ mounts. It's an integral base/ring setup. Light and strong.

I went through this same quandry a while back when I was outfitting my Marlin 1895SBL with optics (but my options were even more reduced because I wanted an IER/Scout scope setup).

After taking the rifle to several local shops and looking at different "Silver"/"Stainless"/"Chrome"/etc. finish scopes (both traditional receiver mount and forward/scout mount options) from Burris, Leupold, Zeiss, Nikon, and others, I NEVER found one that matched the SS finish on my Marlin to any close degree. They were either too bright (like high polished SS) or not silver at all (the Burris scopes were almost a "bronzed" color). I ended up with a Nikon Monarch UCC 2.5-8x28 EER Scope that I mounted in Warne Maxima QD Rings (the Monarch UCC EER is now the Encore EER). Even with the Monarch EER, the color balance between stainless steel and the scope was never a match. Here is what it looked like in that configuration:

24fl3s2.jpg

For reasons completely unrelated to the scope color (I never used the scope past 4x and wanted a fixed, wider FOV option), I ended up swapping out the Nikon Monarch EER for a fixed 2.75x Burris Scout Scope (matte finish) and I have never looked back. I also went with the Warne Maxima QD rings again (also matte). Here is what it looks like now:

fekilj.jpg

Sorry for the "not-so-great" pics.

Finally, the see-thru rings are complete, without-a-doubt, pieces of SHITE!! Skip 'em and get something else!!

Ok so no see through rings. I did look at the Sightron scopes, they have a silver SI for 129.99.

I know alot of people like their higher end scopes, but how is Sightrons reputation when it comes to the "lower end" things?

What height are you guys running on the DNZ mounts? I am not going over a 40mm obj. lens, and that is on the large side. I just want it to clear the iron sights on the gun.

40mm should work with a medium mount. And would probably work with a low. I wouldn't call Sightron low end they're just affordable. They have good glass and track well. Plus they come with a lifetime warranty.