• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for around 1000

Azmos1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2020
Evening, I am not very knowledgeable on scopes. I bought a Riton X5 6X24 and the glass wasn't as clean as my Leupold. I bought a CZ 527 MTR in .223 and I'd like to put a somewhat decent glass on it. I'd like to get out to 600-800 yards. I do not need or really want an illuminated reticle and I really would prefer a scope with great glass. Brass inners, and not made or sourced from China. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Evening, I am not very knowledgeable on scopes. I bought a Riton X5 6X24 and the glass wasn't as clean as my Leupold. I bought a CZ 527 MTR in .223 and I'd like to put a somewhat decent glass on it. I'd like to get out to 600-800 yards. I do not need or really want an illuminated reticle and I really would prefer a scope with great glass. Brass inners, and not made or sourced from China. Thank you in advance for your advice.

I have a Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 on one of my rifles and I love it. It's made in America, and I think I paid just under 1,000 for it. I've had it a year though.
https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/p4xi-4-16x56

Reactions: joshobean
Leupold still makes a decent US scope for your budget. If you qualify for the military/veteran discount it's hard to beat for the price. Vortex had a great scope and warranty as well but some of the lower end are made in China.

Leupold still makes a decent US scope for your budget. If you qualify for the military/veteran discount it's hard to beat for the price. Vortex had a great scope and warranty as well but some of the lower end are made in China.
Thank you very much!! I didnt even know they had AD discount.

Reactions: jp_over
I just ordered one of these, it should be here today:

The XTR II are made in the Philippines. I have experience with the 3-15, it is a very solid scope.
I was kicking around the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25, the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25 and the Riton X5 series 5-25. The one thing they all had in common was China.
I gave up on some magnification, and maybe a bit in the glass department, but the XTR II have a well deserved reputation for robustness, tracking and reliability.
They also feature a very easy to use zero stop (the others have zero stops, some are a bit strange)

The XTR II are made in the Philippines. I have experience with the 3-15, it is a very solid scope.
I was kicking around the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25, the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25 and the Riton X5 series 5-25. The one thing they all had in common was China.
I gave up on some magnification, and maybe a bit in the glass department, but the XTR II have a well deserved reputation for robustness, tracking and reliability.
They also feature a very easy to use zero stop (the others have zero stops, some are a bit strange)
Thank you!

I ordered and returned this exact scope from Natchez a bit over a month ago. HORRIBLE optics.......maybe I got a bad one?? Made me have a headache after looking through it for 20 minutes.

Compared directly with a Steiner P4xi 4-16x56..............the comparison was laughable.

If your wanting a 30mm Tube...........and don't mind 2nd focal plane, the Vortex Razor HD LHT for $799 is unbeatable.
If you want a 34mm Tube, nothing bests the Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 for $849 from Doug @ Cameraland
If you want a true bargain in the 34mm tubed class with more magnification, the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 for $1299 from Doug @ Cameralandny is unbeatable.

I ordered and returned this exact scope from Natchez a bit over a month ago. HORRIBLE optics.......maybe I got a bad one?? Made me have a headache after looking through it for 20 minutes.

Compared directly with a Steiner P4xi 4-16x56..............the comparison was laughable.

If your wanting a 30mm Tube...........and don't mind 2nd focal plane, the Vortex Razor HD LHT for $799 is unbeatable.
If you want a 34mm Tube, nothing bests the Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 for $849 from Doug @ Cameraland
If you want a true bargain in the 34mm tubed class with more magnification, the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 for $1299 from Doug @ Cameralandny is unbeatable.
It certainly won't compete with the Steiner, but we'll see how it shakes out.
The Steiner is an excellent choice.

Hey man, facts are facts. Enjoy your scope. I just so happen to look at most scopes on the market side x side on a tripod for comparison sake. I'm not just guessing here.
On a good note, as long as you don't mount it, you can easily return the XTR II to Natchez for a refund, if in fact you find it lacking.

Hey man, facts are facts. Enjoy your scope. I just so happen to look at most scopes on the market side x side on a tripod for comparison sake. I'm not just guessing here.
On a good note, as long as you don't mount it, you can easily return the XTR II to Natchez for a refund, if in fact you find it lacking.
No problem, I do agree that the Steiner will likely have better glass, but they did have troubles with tracking etc... on the US made Steiners, which was apparently corrected. Either one would go back to the same place in Colorado.

I am somewhat in the same boat as the op, with a new CZ 527 in .223. This is a nice light, handy rifle and don't want the scope to turn it into an artillery piece.

Because it is something to consider
I could say the same about just about every mid priced scope out there.

The fact that Steiner stopped producing them and didn't restart P4Xi until the parallax problem was fixed tells me all I need to know to do business with them. Add to that their no BS warranty and it's hard to not consider it a top pick in the category.

I won't even mention their top end scopes (particularly the M7Xi) which from reviews here they appear to play in the big leagues.

Reactions: D_TROS
A lot of folks here (me included) like the MPO from Brownells a lot. There is a thread on this forum about it. It is illuminated, but you don't have to use that of course.

It's made in Japan, not China, backed by Brownells, and listed right at $1000 (but you should be able to get it for a bit less).

A lot of folks here (me included) like the MPO from Brownells a lot. There is a thread on this forum about it. It is illuminated, but you don't have to use that of course.

It's made in Japan, not China, backed by Brownells, and listed right at $1000 (but you should be able to get it for a bit less).

That would be my choice for this price range.

Reactions: DPS03

I thought that was a good scope for the money when I saw it. I think the only reason I chose the Steiner P4Xi instead was because the Steiner had more vertical travel in the elevation turret. But, the Steiner turned out to be an excellent buy anyway. Even though it is an American made Steiner, I've heard from different sources now that the glass came from their German factory. I know it's one clear, sharp scope for under 1,000.

How does the Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 compare to the Razor gen II 4.5-27x56 or the Athlon ETR4.5-30x56?

I thought that was a good scope for the money when I saw it. I think the only reason I chose the Steiner P4Xi instead was because the Steiner had more vertical travel in the elevation turret. But, the Steiner turned out to be an excellent buy anyway. Even though it is an American made Steiner, I've heard from different sources now that the glass came from their German factory. I know it's one clear, sharp scope for under 1,000.

It does have somewhat limited travel in the 5-25x56, but I think there is a lot more in the 3-18x50

I use a canted scope mount....20MOA. For my 6.5 Creedmoor, that with what the scope gives me is far more than you could need so I don't see that to be too bad unless you are talking .50 or something extremely long range.

Last edited:
Reactions: wb00757
@DPS03
Yeah travel is limited compared to some others but I believe it is on par with the PST2 which I have seen used as somewhat of a benchmark in this price range. I did expect more with the larger tube but whatever. Mine actually has ~24 internal travel but the zero stop limits it to 2 revolutions minus the width of the stop pin. If the pin was .020" shorter it would clear on the second revolution and allow use of the remaining internal elevation adjustment. It would be VERY easy to make this modification, but arguably very stupid because it's a $1000 scope. I could run a 30moa rail and still zero at 100 and give myself that extra ~3 mils.
I love this scope

Reactions: DPS03
DMRII or DMR Pro if you can find for $1000.
PS I have a brand new DMRII for sale on here for under a grand , due to selling rifle before using it.
Japanese glass. 10 mil per rev turrets. Zero stop. G3 reticle. Built like a tank. Running same scope on the bolt guns past 1000yd easy peasy. Bullet holes seen on paper at 300 yards, easy to spot.

own a vortex pst gen II 5-25, I just purchased a new zeiss v4 6-24x50 and all I can say its really up there in glass quality, better than my pst. Really impressed, with even more features.

Reactions: field_2_fork
own a vortex pst gen II 5-25, I just purchased a new zeiss v4 6-24x50 and all I can say its really up there in glass quality, better than my pst. Really impressed, with even more features.

I was just going to mention the new Zeiss V4 6-24 as well. I put one on a 6.5-284 recently and so far I'm very impressed.

The PX4i I had was right in line with the XTRII. Meh glass, decent mechanics, SCR reticle. The Burris XTRIIs I had were better as far as usability. I.E. I never had an XTRII the you needed vice grips to turn the elevation turret when it was cold outside, and firm grip from your fist when it was warm. For 849 the Px4i is ok. It doesn't punch well above that price in todays market IMO. Lots of good scopes out there under 1k. If you are poking around hide vendors I know you can often find the LRTS on sale. IMO the blem Burris deal is the best deal I have seen since Cabela's mis priced some Leupolds. I see the Tango 6 at the 1k mark quite often also.