• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for hunting rifle

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    I am buying Tikka Roughtech in 6.5 PRC for a lighter hunting rifle with a little more punch. (Current rifle is an 18" 6.5 Creed with a medium palma and a Bushnell 4.5-18 LRSTi, weighs about 12 lbs.)

The three I am considering are;

1. Vortex 4.5-22 HD LHT in mil
    2. Burris XTR iii 3.3-18 Illuminated
    3. Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18 Illuminated

I plan on using the direct mount Hawkins rings and keeping the rifle fairly factory so I can use it for an occasional NRL Hunter match. I hunt suppressed and will probably use my Dominus to keep it as short as possible.

I know the Vortex is the lightest, but the Burris has a much bigger FOV than the other two.

Thanks,

Keith

I have an XTR3i on order for this same purpose right now. When I looked through the razor, the reticle wasn’t very clear on the lowest power and illumination wasn’t daylight bright. I also like the lower power of the XTR3. I’ll probably try the LHT if I don’t like the XTR3

The Vortex is an excellent crossover scope in it's price range that works well for hunting and also works well for target shooting / competitions.
    They also have excellent customer service.

Chances are that one would work well on your rifle unless you specifically want it more dedicated to hunting and the extra 10ft of view at 100 yards at minimum magnification is something you want more than the higher end magnification and features the Vortex one has.

Looking at the XTR3 3.3-18x that I have sitting here with the SCR-Mil reticle I'd think it's pretty fine and hard to see at low magnification on anything darkish. I would consider carefully what environment you hunt in and let us know so people can make better recommendations. For my money the SCR reticle on the XTR3 is at least not optimal for woods hunting but probably pretty good for open country grassland hunting.

I would go with the XTR mainly due to the fact that the magnification on the low end is lower and the max magnification is adequate for the ranges the gun will provide unless you are thinking about shooting prairie dogs.

Many hunters miss shots given the reduced FOV that variable scopes offer at max power.

Kahles K318i is worth the look... Or a Zeiss V6 or V8. I have a few old(er) Zeiss scopes, and run a Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50 on my main deer rifle, and it's glass is amazing. Kahles and Zeiss, IMO, have the best glass on the market.

Looking at the XTR3 3.3-18x that I have sitting here with the SCR-Mil reticle I'd think it's pretty fine and hard to see at low magnification on anything darkish. I would consider carefully what environment you hunt in and let us know so people can make better recommendations.
    I agree with this. The xtr3 SCR2 reticle is great for longer distances or above 10x, but I've not been blown away with it for hunting (not what I bought it for tho). The standard SCR illuminated in my xtr2 is slightly better, but not a ton.

I've been happiest with my Razor 2 7c reticle for most distances. But its too heavy for most hunting applications unless you like punishing yourself or also take a tripod.

Most of my hunting in woods is with lpvo or red dots currently.

XTR3 scr2 mil reticle pointing into waning light. Zoom at 12ish mag
    20220604_203814.jpg

Razor 2 ebr7c mil at 15x. 10 minutes after 1st light coming from behind
    20220709_063006.jpg

20220709_062414.jpg