• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope for mk12 mod1

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
I will be most likely getting the mk4 lr7 3.5-10 scope for the mk12 mod1. Which turrets would you go with.. m5? I have no experience with the m2 or m3..so just asking which would be best suited for this rifle?

THanks,

ALan

Re: scope for mk12 mod1

M5 will be nice because it matches the reticle.
However, if you haven't purchased it already yet, I suggest looking for a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 (or 24). They are incredibly light and IMO, better than the Leupold for a mk12mod1 build. I'd be patient and look for a used one on the for sale forum. My brother and I both have mk12mod1 clones, and he has a leupy 3.5-10 and i have the nightforce. While his FOV is better, the rifle weighs heavier with his monster of a scope.
Just a suggestion, good luck man and welcome to the mk12 club!

As far as I know Nightforce 2.5-10's and Leupold 3.5-10's have been used on Mk12's. To that end I'd prefer to go with the Nightforce 2.5-10X32 for a Mk12 build. It's mil/mil, has a zero stop, illumination, excellent range of travel over the Leupold, and rock solid reliability.

Yep, all the mentioned are correct specs depending on who fielded them (SEALS, Marines).
Like I mentioned,nothing wrong at ALL with the Leupys. I like em and have a few on my bolts. It's just that I'm trying to shave weight off all my rifles and the NXS compact was nice for that factor. If you find a smoking deal on any of the above, I'd jump on it.

Thanks for all the replies. I get the Fed LE discount through leupold and was thinking of going with the 3.5 just to try that. I do have Nightforce on my bolt rifles, and they cant be beat, however, I'm thinking maybe the 3.5 with m1 or m5 turrets for the mk12.

Alan

I have a MK 12 MOD1 that I had a Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/M3 turrets on it. I just sold it and it is being replaced with a Night Force 2.5-10x32. Night Force has been my "Go To" scope company for the last two years for a myriad of reasons. Some of those reasons are ruggedness, durability, price point and quality. For the price, they cannot be beat in those categories. Hope this helps, Lee

I would get the Mark 4 3.5-10 with the M5 turrets. I am a big fan of matching turrets to the reticle. Another great scope would be the SS 3-9x40. I had one of those and the glass is comparable to the Mark 4

For my MK-12 I tried both the MK4 and the Nightforce. Both didnt really work well for me. I found a used S&B 10X here and couldn't be happier. After trying all of these, this scope, I find perfect for SPR's.
7565639550_bcfe5cb70f.jpg

USO SN-3 1.8-10. Gives you illumated reticle, endless options on turrets, reticles, etc, and more than worthy of sitting on top of the MK12. The 1.8 low end is nice for close options too, in comparison to a 3.5.

I have the NF 2.5x10x32 on mine and feel that it is the near perfect optic for me on that set up.

Leupold MK4 M2 2.5-8x36mm or NXS 2.5-10x32mm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhounddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Leupold VX-R Tactical 3-9 with TMR and mil mil on my SPR. </div></div>

I've noticed those too, seems like a great option for those not wanting to break the bank on a mid range optic.

NF with velocity reticle is where it's at. Nothing else out there compares. If you are on a budget then I would look at the vortex 2.5-10 HS. Has bdc holdovers and glass is really good for a $400 optic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ajb008</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my MK-12 I tried both the MK4 and the Nightforce. Both didnt really work well for me. I found a used S&B 10X here and couldn't be happier. After trying all of these, this scope, I find perfect for SPR's.
7565639550_bcfe5cb70f.jpg
</div></div>

What exact S&B model is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would the 3.5-10 leupold still be considered spec for the mod1?

Alan</div></div>

Yes. The original ModO was outfitted with a Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 Tactical with ARMS #22 medium rings (PRI based build). The first Mod1 builds (KAC based) used ARMS #35 base and high rings with the same optic.

Leupold's TS-30 was a 3-9 optic with a constant short eye relief of 3.3" (through the power range) which allowed the optic to be mounted directly on the receiver without a cantilever style mount (#35 for the Mod1) or extended receiver rail (#38 for the Mod0). ARMS #22 high rings were widely used. The TS-30 became the Mk4 3-9 M1 or M2, both having the shorter eye relief.

Leupold screwed the pooch when they introduced the 2.5-8x Mk4 variants which has the long variable eye relief IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as I know Nightforce 2.5-10's and Leupold 3.5-10's have been used on Mk12's. To that end I'd prefer to go with the Nightforce 2.5-10X32 for a Mk12 build. It's mil/mil, has a zero stop, illumination, excellent range of travel over the Leupold, and rock solid reliability. </div></div>
While the NF was available mil/mil; I believe the Navy used mil/moa.

What about the new Vortex PST 2.5-10x 32mm mil/mil. lighter and cheaper than the Nightforce. It will be my next optic purchase when I can find one!

NF 2.5-10

I have both the Leupold and the NF. The NF has better glass and I prefer a MOA reticule which NF makes. The TMR in the Leupold isn't bad, really depends on what you want.

Both seem to be built well, and the compact is smaller.

Only CON I see to the NF is that it seems the eyebox is less forgiving.

Go with NF 2.5-10 and never look back. Especially whenever you turn the turrets. Second to none.