• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for my 338

ss7

ssh
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
VA
Looking for some insight and recommendations on my scope upgrade for my .338LM TRG. Right now I have a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25 and want tacticle type illuminated reticle. I don't have any other complaints about the scope, but I've only put 9 rounds down the tube with it.

I'm currently considering the Vortex PST 6-24x50 ebr1 and the NF NXS 5.5-22x56 moar. My main concern is the lack of elevation adjustment on the PST and the price jump to the NXS. I currently have a 20moa base and require a 100yd zero, or at minimum a 100yd cross on the reticle, and minimum 1500 yd adjustment (or cross).

My go to load is 300gr Scenar at 2750fps with ballistics as follows (using hornady's calculator and 100yd zero):
Yards MOA drop
250 2.8
500 9.5
750 17.6
1000 27.5
1250 39.4
1500 53.9

With the PST max reticle cross at +/-10moa, a 20moa rail, and 65moa of adjustment, I calculate I have 62.5 moa of gain with 100yd zero (65/2 = 32.5 assuming center elevation alignment, 20moa rail, and 10moa min cross). Assuming this math works and giving myself some room for error, in a perfect world the PST would work. Adding a 40moa base would really give me some more room if I find these results false.

With the NXS, I get 95moa of elevation adjustment. This would open up longer ranges and keep me in a more centered range of the scope, but at a big cost.

I don't think I have a need for F1. I don't think I could swing more than $2000. But I am asking for suggestions!

BTW, my price assumptions are $750 for the PST and $1775 for the NXS.

Re: Scope for my 338

Best of both worlds and more. Pick up a used Vortex Razor 5-20HD, get 125 MOA of travel and FFP for around $1600-$1800.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best of both worlds and more. Pick up a used Vortex Razor 5-20HD and get 125 MOA of travel. </div></div>

That is an option. I may jump on one if I was confident the seller was trustworthy and the scope is in good condition. But I'd like to have the option of buying new if I get impatient.

That said, I feel like that scope fits the bill if it were cheaper than the NXS.

No worries about it being in good condition, vortex will fix anything wrong with it for free. Seriously, Vortex has outstanding customer service.

If you get a NF with HS and ZS you are looking at the same price as a Razor.

If you plan on dialing and shooting it alot I would recomend NF or S&B. It has been my expirence these are the best tracking scopes. Never owned a vortex so I cannot speak on those. I have just had too many issues with lower end scopes especially on bigger guns. It is hard to pony up the cash but worth it in the long run.
I do not claim to be an authority on optics but I have been shooting 50's for alot of years and broken several scopes. It is nice having a scope you can rely on, one that holds a zero. The whole buy once cry once motto holds true.

I use the NXS 5.5-22x56 and seems to be the perfect fit for the .338 lapua. I am using a 40MOA Base and can get out to 2300yds in the mountains (between 7000-10500 ft elevation)

I agre with the above about the NF 5.5-22x56. I used one on my .300 win mag with the 20 moa base. Ive shot to 1000yds with ease. I'm jealous of the 2300yd range, frankthefly!

To answer your other question about the value of the NF... I've had a few mid-range priced other scopes over the years and I was hesitant to spend upwards of $2000 on a F1 NF. After using it for a year plus I was so impressed I went ahead and got another for my .223 and one for my .270 LOL. The sticker shock is there with any of the higher quality scopes but, for me, the difference is noticeable. Especially out at longer ranges.

I have a 5.5-22x56 on a 30 moa base and can get out to 2700 yards using the hold overs in the retice or 2500 yards with no holding over using SMK bullets. Even further with Berger OTM's. The pressure here is 23.00 in Hg though.

It seems the general consensus is the NF is a more common, and maybe better, option for the .338. The Razor and NXS are in the same range on price.. any reason to pick one of these or the other?

I still would love to hear any reviews of the PST/.338 combination if someone has this setup!

I don't want to have remorse due to saving a few dollars. I would rather be confident in the package while being certain those extra dollars were well spent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No worries about it being in good condition, vortex will fix anything wrong with it for free. Seriously, Vortex has outstanding customer service.

If you get a NF with HS and ZS you are looking at the same price as a Razor. </div></div>

Does Vortex cover all the lines with this service? The PST get the same customer care as the Razor?

Thanks for this information.

Some lines but not all. The PST gets it for sure and some of the HS but not the crossfire and such to my knowledge.

Well guys, I went with the NF 5.5-22 with MOAR. I really appreciate the help with this decision!