• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for precision bolt rifle within budget

wichitaguns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
OK guys assuming I am buying new and my budget is limited to 1600, what ffp scope would you recommend? Thins will be going on an ai currently in 308 bit with a possible rebarrel to 6.5 creedmoor.
thanks for the input

Keep an eye out for a used Nightforce. You can come damn close to that budgetary number.

I'm not current on the Bushnell line if they are discontinued? but I have 2 of the ERS scopes, great value and they are solid scopes for the money IMO.

Thinking about maybe getting a gen 1 razor..mile high has a pretty good deal on these with a spuhr mount. Does milehigh still have a snipershide discount?
like the floating dot/crosshair on those.
Any other suggestions?

The mile high package is a great option.

You really left too many variables on the table for good suggestions. What type of magnification range, planned use, are your eyes good? lol Pinch some pennies and you can get a NF 4-16. Would be more than enough for 1000 yards.

Yes, the Gen 1 Razors are an awesome scope, but for $1600, maybe a little more, you could get into a Gen2 Razor, Steiner, Khales, USO, Atacr F1, etc... Especially if you look around here on the Optics PX. Another good scope that can be found for under your budget is the Cronus BTR 4.5-29. Just recently got one and I really do like it so far. Solid scope that checks off a lot of boxes feature wise, all at a great price. Me personally though, I'd spring for another F1 Atacr 4-16! That scope is perfect for me, my rifles, and the shooting/hunting that I do.

That's actually a awkward price point. For a couple hundred less you can get a solid scope - i.e. Vortex PST gen 2, a used Bushnell DMR, etc. And for a couple hundred more you can get into a Gen 2 Razor or similar quality scopes.

If you're set at that budget, you can usually find like new Steiner T5xi 5-25 for $1500 or so.

I've watched a couple Bushnell dmr ii's and a XRS go for $1,100ish on ebay the last couple of weeks.

you should be able to find a Steiner T5XI 5-25 for $1600 or less.

I recently had a budget very close to yours. I ended up getting a used 4-16x42 Nightforce ATACR F1 for $1550. Good deals are out there if you are patient and watch lots of places for used scopes. Sometimes the best deals come from face to face deals with other local shooters.

I constantly check the PX. Some good deals to me had.So li ing in Kansas I can pick up a dmr ii illuminated for 1100 ( big discount for the Kansas rifle association membership) incidently the gen ii PST is roughly the same price on uroptic. Which would be a never buy. Going down this road would free up money to get the atlas bipod and complete my rig. Thoughts?

I constantly check the PX. Some good deals to me had.So li ing in Kansas I can pick up a dmr ii illuminated for 1100 ( big discount for the Kansas rifle association membership) incidently the gen ii PST is roughly the same price on uroptic. Which would be a never buy. Going down this road would free up money to get the atlas bipod and complete my rig. Thoughts?

That's the route I'd go. Hell I thought I got a steal on the used HDMR II for $1,100..

FYI, There has been some complaints about the illuminated model.

Last edited:
S&B lonely in the safe right now and Cronus BTR riding the Mausingfield via ARC rings. Truly impressed... At this point it's not looking like I'll purchase another S&B, as much as I love them, the extra money is better spent feeding barrels.

OP, I'll go opposite of what everyone else has said as you haven't really stated what your intended purpose is. You can pick up a Weaver 3-15x50 edmr for just over 500 bucks these days. That leaves money for a rebarrel or a lot for projectiles, primers, and powder. But I would watch the PX here if you want to spend that much.

For the 1600 price range you can look at a few Nightforce SHV and the EoTech Vudu come to mind. The EoTech Vudu is very nice and for the price you get a lot of good features.

https://www.cstactical.com/eotech-vudu-3-5-18x50-ffp-riflescope-md1-reticle-mrad.aspx
21558720_1720736141302225_3852804816879499190_n.jpg?oh=049537ade76764c14b84462160a11a0a&oe=5A4...jpg

Find AthlonOpticsGuy on here and have him price you out a brand new Athlon Cronus BTR. It's 4.5-29X56....excellent reticle, great HD glass....exceptional warranty. Liked my 1st one so much I bought another.

I'd vote for a used Bushnell ERS from the PX here. Saves you a few hundred and you won't get a significantly better scope at 1600.

I'll second that it's an awkward price point. Not much improvement over 1k to 1.2k scopes, not too much money to save to get to the very nice 2 to 2.2k scopes, where there is a noticeable difference.

I wpuld lean towards a >2k scope at a good used price.

Good luck with your choice.

Went to milehigh today to look at a few Nightforce ATACRs, and they have numerous S&B' in the mid $2k range. Hard to go to a Nightforce for similar money. It definitely has me on a plan to save for another month or two to get the S&B/spuhr combo I liked

Save a bit more for an F1 ATACR. I picked up a new one for $2000 in the classifieds and couldn’t be happier.