• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for Rem 700 sps tactical

smittyj77

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2014
Looking for recommendations on a scope for my new rifle as well as mounts and rings
. It's a Remington 700 sps tactical model 20" bull barrel. 308 looking for a scope I could shoot 50 yards with but also looking for something I could laub one in at 1000 yds if I wanted to.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

I personally use a Burris XTR-416 with Millet 30mm rings, and shot this 3 shot group the other day. The shot on top is shot #4, spotter gave me a .25moa correction up, and that's where I hit. 1" circle at 100 yards. I have a bone stock SPS tactical other than a stock extension put in.

grouping.jpg

Looking for recommendations on a scope for my new rifle as well as mounts and rings
. It's a Remington 700 sps tactical model 20" bull barrel. 308 looking for a scope I could shoot 50 yards with but also looking for something I could laub one in at 1000 yds if I wanted to.

Depending upon your choice of bullets and the muzzle velocity you intend to load for, then you will likely need a 15 or 20 MOA mount setup, ESPECIALLY with bullets that weigh 168 grains or more and bullets with a low BC if you intend to shoot out to 1000 yards..... That 20 inch barrel WILL reduce the muzzle velocity for your rifle compared to, say, a 26 inch barrel firing identical ammunition.

Even with the 20 MOA mount setup, the total VERTICAL adjustment available in your chosen scope will have to be enough to allow you to hold on a target out at 1000 yards without using "Kentucky Hold Over" if you expect to be reasonably consistent and accurate at that range. Do the ballistic calculations for your load, figure out the vertical travel of your favorite scopes and then determine how many MOA base you need. You MAY find that you need more than 20 MOA, but likely not.

Once you find a scope that fits YOUR shooting style and that has decent optics, a reticle that makes sense to you and is useful for YOUR shooting requirements and some kind of decent vertical adjustments, BUY THAT ONE. You can easily find decent optics, but beyond a certain point you will merely be adding to the "bling factor" and not really to the effectiveness of the optic but at, USUALLY, great expense as you buy better and better optics!! Great optics are out there, but I know guys with scopes that cost around $4,000 bucks and UP!!! Often a scope with a 30mm main tube or even a 34mm main tube (kind of rare) will give a better chance of a scope having the vertical adjustment you will need and also decent optics. YOU need to look through as many scopes as you possibly can and make up YOUR mind what fits YOUR pocketbook and YOUR shooting style best. Take advice/input from others with a grain of salt......many people are WAAY over-scoped and spent WAAAYY more money than they needed to in order to accomplish THEIR MISSION.

A good Picatinny 15 or 20 MOA rail (10 and 15 MOA are available, but 20 MOA is most common) and some good, solid rings in the correct diameter and height for whatever scope you wind up with would be a good choice.

Last edited:
Look into the Vortex PST scopes, they are great for the price and they have a transferable life time warranty. I have the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP EBR-1 Scope with illuminated reticle and so far it has everything that I need. There are a lot of options out there depending on what you are willing to spend but IMHO the Vortex scopes are a great choice for the price, hope that helps.

Going to go with 20 MOA base on my Remington 700 sps tactical with 20" barrel and a vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP scope,

My next question is what do I need for rings, low med high?

Thanks again

Badger 20 MOA base and Badger rings. Ring height going to depend on what position(s) you shoot from and if you have an adjustable comb height, often running the scope as low as possible is what people tend to use. If you want to shoot a typical .308 out to 1k you're going to need 40+ MOA to get there. Assuming you get the higher end rings and mount and end up zero'd under halfway through your scope, you need a scope with probably 60 MOA elevation total or more to make sure you can get to 1k. Lots of scopes will do this.

Going to go with 20 MOA base on my Remington 700 sps tactical with 20" barrel and a vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP scope,

Thanks again

Well, required ring height depends on several things: (1) What position do you intend to use when shooting this rifle mostly? If you do NOT have an adjustable cheek piece on the stock, you will find that PRONE versus STANDING positions will likely put your eye in different places behind the scope when you have a good cheek weld due to your head/neck being at a different angle and, therefore, a different position and that will demand different height rings. (2) Since shooters' faces vary in shape/fullness, a ring height that works perfectly for shooter A will likely not work well for shooter B. (3) Clearance requirements between the scope and the barrel.

Though it is pretty easy to measure the rifle, scope and bases to determine what ring height will work for the mount and not cause clearance problems, it is kind of hard to measure what works best for you without having the scope mounted. If you have a buddy that has some rings for the 30mm tube size and that fit on the Picatinny rail base that will work to TEST MOUNT your setup, then you can sort of "try on" whatever height that is and then go from there...same height, higher, or lower rings for what suits YOU. I DO recommend having an adjustable cheek piece (Karsten makes a pretty good/practical/decent looking/reasonably priced one that is easy to mount) to help you get it all just right and allow for some adjustment as necessary when shooting from different positions.

If I can get a decent picture of one of my rifles with a Karsten cheek piece, 20 MOA base and Weaver Tactical Rings on the same scope you're going to use I will post it here so you can see what I am talking about. Even though the rifle in this pic is a Savage .308, the whole concept will be the same for your Remington setup. (This rifle, by the way, typically shoots around .3 to .4 MOA with SMK 155 bullets at around 2880 fps). OK..I found a couple of pics...in the one with two rifles in it, the one farthest from the camera is the one I am talking about. The front one is a short barrel Howa 1500 .308 in a Bell and Carlson stock and a Leupold scope that is jsut a "screwing around" rifle. I Do like the .308 even though it is somewhat behind the power curve due to external ballistics, but am in the process of building an accurized Rem 700, Krieger barrel, Competition Machine stock, Timney Trigger, Viper PST on a 15 MOA rail setup in 6.5 Creedmoor for competition long range varmint shoots where the targets are 330, 425, 550 and 650 or 850 (depending upon your assigned class) yards.

Attachments

• two guns A.jpg
    two guns A.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF0247.JPG
    DSCF0247.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
+1 vortex PSTs. Good price range for that gun

I agree..the PST scopes DO have things I think are a waste for MY needs, like illuminated reticle (not to mention the extra knob/battery compartment), but I like the MOA/MOA turret/reticles since I am a dinosaur and can think fast in MOA-speak. I also like the useful reticle style in these and they do have reasonably good optics. The scope seems to do the job for me and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'd rather spend my money on a good barrel and AMMO so I can PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!! A lot of guys WAAAYY overspend for "bling" scopes when what they need is to GO SHOOT MORE.....IF they are even reasonably decent shooters in the first place! (Sadly, a lot of guys ARE NOT and they will never be...but they have fun. And that is what counts if the mission isn't life and death!!)

Last edited:

Thanks again

I am running this idetical setup down to the rifle. I am using a Larue 20 MOA base with Leupold MK4 medium rings and with the 50mm objective its close but work well!

I am thinking about going a Vortex PST 10x for my SPS Tactical... Will be my playing around / range gun while I wait for my GAP 6.5 CM. Should be a nice scope / setup to play around with

That is the only thing I am not certain of... Right now I bought the XLR Scope Base because it isn't a foot long like the EGW, Weaver, etc scope bases; but it has 20 moa built into it. I am just not sure I want a 20 moa scope base in a 223 bolt aciont with a 10x scope on it, seems like a waste! Might give Kyle a call tomorrow and see if I can't get one withoout 20 moa built into it!

Got the same gun... Egw 20 moa base with Burris extreme low rings. Made it out to 1000 with it.

How close is it with the low rings? And is that with a 50mm objective lens?

you can find used burris xtr scopes pretty cheap. compared to the votrex and some of the others. the xtr line has a pretty good feature set in my opinion. i use medium burris z rings or low xtr ringson mine