• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for Rem 700

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
I don't want to break the bank just yet, so I'm looking for options on an entry-ish level scope. I'd feel better investing later on, when I've had the rifle for a while and can make a better decision. It will be mounted on a 700 SPS Tactical with a 20" heavy barrel.

What would you guys recommend is a decent price range, and perhaps some specific options? What sort of magnifications should I be looking for?

I'll mostly be shooting at a 200 yd range, though I may get to a range that has a 600 yd line.

I may have occasion to use this gun for deer season as well.

Re: Entry Level Scope for Rem 700

I'm a recent college grad with student loans and an entry level job, so $500 would be pushing it, but I could swing it if I eat Ramen noodles for a month.

I was in your shoes not so long ago. I did the same thing and got a "cheaper" scope, then a Leupold MK 4, then a Night Force NXS. I kind of didn't like the idea of spending so much money on a scope (or anything). If I had just gotten the NXS, I would have saved a bunch of money in the long run. You should get a new credit card and take advantage of the no APR for 15 months, then break it in with your new scope!
smile.gif
My first scope was an SWFA (not the HD). It was a 10x fixed and did it's job fine, until I upgraded. From now on, I buy the scope first and then the rifle!

For what your looking for get a Bushnell 3200 10x mil/mil from Midway(get the discount codes from here).You be into it for $200 or so and when your ready to trade up you can get $150 for it.They work way beyond what they should.

If you want a variable Weaver makes a 3-10 mil/mil for around $300 also pretty decent.Just realize neither of these will allow entry into the cool guy club
wink.gif

DMG, would the Weaver be an FFP or SFP scope? From what I've read, it seems like I would prefer FFP scopes, it seems like that's what they're using on the USMC M40s that I learned on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a recent college grad with student loans and an entry level job, so $500 would be pushing it, but I could swing it if I eat Ramen noodles for a month.

</div></div>

Not trying to sound like a dick but this is an expensive hobby, i.e. ammo costs even with reloading can take a toll. If a $500 scope is pushing it will you really be able to afford to shoot very often? I'm all for you doing it but I'm just being pragmatic.

I'm OK with budgeting this out while I wait for my scheduled raises and promotions to kick in. I just got back to full time work after college, and it'll be awhile before I'm throwing money around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm OK with budgeting this out while I wait for my scheduled raises and promotions to kick in. I just got back to full time work after college, and it'll be awhile before I'm throwing money around.</div></div>

Well depending where you are in Alabama I may be able to help

I would just wait and keep an eye out in the optics for sale section for a good deal on a used scope and jump on it. I agree with the buy once, cry once theory. Saves a lot more in the long run that could be spent on more useful stuff like ammo or other gear than crap equipment that you can't get rid of when you do upgrade.

I would spend more on the scope than the gun IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rory_™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA mil/mil, great optics for $300. </div></div>

+1. I'd go for either the 10 or the 12 power

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for an SWFA SS 10x or 12x mil/mil. </div></div>

What he said!

Make sure to look in the classified section here. People are constantly upgrading their equipment and deals can be had on lightly used stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SWFA SS says rear focus, I assume this means it is a SFP scope?</div></div>

No, it means the focus is in the rear of the scope.

Gotcha. How does one know if a scope is SFP or FFP? Also, I'm in northern AL, near Redstone Arsenal.

well if you're buying without being able to handle the scope then it should say in the description or ask the seller.
If you're looking at the scope and the reticle stays the same size while moving thru the magnification range it's second focal plane. If the reticle size changes from small to big going up in magnification it's First focal plane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SWFA SS says rear focus, I assume this means it is a SFP scope?</div></div>
If its a fixed power scope its always FFP.

Fixed power is what it is, the power doesn't change so the focal plane the reticle is locatedd in matters not. Scopes that are FFP almost, if not, always list it in the description. SFP has been the american shooters standard construction for many decades, so they generally don't specify it, its implied, the only common exception is when models in the same product line are offered both ways.
For under $500 you may as well forget about FFP. There are some manufacturers that offer it but they are questionable. Weaver offers a FFP which can be found for just a bit more than your limit, its fairly well regarded. For a few hundred more than it you get into Vortex FFPs.

Gotcha on the fixed power scopes. I guess I'll have to adjust budget for a decent variable power FFP scope then.

Do you happen to know which Weaver model I should be looking at? Their website has a lot of products and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.

SWFA SS 3-9x42

I am told this is the best scope to get in the budget FFP range. Thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rory_™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA mil/mil, great optics for $300. </div></div>

+1. this is sage advice. this is what i did then later upgraded when i could afford it. You'll like the SWFA. good glass and it wont kill your bank and there is nothing wrong with an entry level scope in your budget til you can afford what you really want. That said, the SWFA is a nice scope.

-Paulus

That 3-9 SWFA would be a good place to start. But, if you do decide to go with a fixed power, I would stay at no more then 10x. I have a fixed SS 16x and the field of view leaves a lot to be desired. Had it on a CZ 453 and hunting squirrels with it was a bit of a challange. OK for punching paper, but not hunting.

OFG

So, given the choice of a brand new SWFA SS 3-9x42 for $600 or a used 2010 model Bushnell Elite 3-12x44 for $620, what would you guys choose?

Ok, bugger the entry level stuff. Let's go... mid-range-ish.

Any thoughts on the Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50? LonewolfUSMC's review made it look pretty good, so thanks for the very well done review devil dog!

But, it seems like that scope is definitely designed for long range, and I'll really only have access to a 200 yard range, and I doubt hunting will require that sort of magnification. I'm hoping I can find a 3-12x44 discounted like the 6-24x50.

Also, thoughts on illuminated reticles? Pros? Cons?

So, I may get bashed for this, but imho you shouldn't discount the very entry level scopes.
My R700 started out with a $90 scope from walmart (not my purchase, it came with it), which I intended to take off as soon as it came in the door. Life got busy, people weren't accepting offers for their used gear, so I wound up keeping it on there for a little while. You know what? It worked great. The glass was good enough for 500 yards, the mil-dots were good enough for 500 yards (may have been exact, may not, but a first shot hit is a first shot hit). The turrets tracked how? You guessed it, good enough for 500 yards.

I don't have it on the rifle any more, I now have a SWFA 5-20, which sells for $1300. So, if we round my Centerpoint up to 100, my current scope is 13x as expensive. Is it 13x as good though? Not really. It certainly doesn't let me shoot to 6500 yards (13x600).
Now, I upgraded for a reason, I don't think my $90 scope would have lasted forever, which I expect my SWFA to, and I don't think it would have been capable of much past 6-700. It was a great starting point though, and gave me a cheap option to use while I saved up a bit and figured out what I really wanted to spend my money on.
There are plenty of scopes in the sub $200 range, and if you don't mind the risk of having to send one back for warranty work, and not being able to drop them off a cliff, they could probably keep you shooting for two or three years before they started limiting you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, given the choice of a brand new SWFA SS 3-9x42 for $600 or a used 2010 model Bushnell Elite 3-12x44 for $620, what would you guys choose? </div></div>

My SWFA 5-20x50 was much clearer than my Bushnell Elite 6-24x50. I don't know how those two scopes compare to their lower magnification brothers, but all other things being equal, it makes me think that the SWFA glass might be better quality than the Bushnell glass.

I almost picked out this budget scope so I can use the rifle at the range while I'm shopping around and hoping for a group buy or other discount to pop up.

http://www.amazon.com/Barska-4-16x50-Sniper-Scope-Green/dp/B0010DTX3G/

It's cheap enough that I won't have to feel bad when I finally do find a nice scope. Then I saw that A) It's listed as an Infra Red scope (pretty sure they meant Illuminated Reticle), and B) the reviews say it literally falls apart on a .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I almost picked out this budget scope so I can use the rifle at the range while I'm shopping around and hoping for a group buy or other discount to pop up.

http://www.amazon.com/Barska-4-16x50-Sniper-Scope-Green/dp/B0010DTX3G/

It's cheap enough that I won't have to feel bad when I finally do find a nice scope. Then I saw that A) It's listed as an Infra Red scope (pretty sure they meant Illuminated Reticle), and B) the reviews say it literally falls apart on a .308. </div></div>

What I have is a Centerpoint, you see a few reviews of them needing to go back for work, but you also see plenty of reviews from people putting them on 308 and 30-06 rifles without trouble. Mine had a few hundreds rounds through it before I took it off, never had any problems with it.

consider Sightron--you won't be sorry

dont waste money and ammo on a cheap scope
i promise the adjustments will suck and the glass will be horrible if it dosent break
it will be cheaper to buy a used bushenell or leupold or burris, all of which will be fine and useable if not ideal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a recent college grad with student loans and an entry level job, so $500 would be pushing it, but I could swing it if I eat Ramen noodles for a month.

</div></div> lol Bushnell 10x40.

I was going to suggest what I just bought Bushnell model ET6245. I thought it was a reasonable price and have been impressed with the optical quality so far taking price into account. I'd assume the fixed power would have the same glass. So +1 on the fixed 10x elite tactical.

Have you used the scope yet? Is the 6-24 magnification too high for short range (200 yard) target shooting?

I have a Mk4 6.5-20 x 50 on a Rem SPS-T I use for 200 yd PR matches locally. Could use more power when the mirage isn't bad.

Had the same scope on a 5R two seasons ago and the 6.5 was way, way too much for close-in deer walking under the stand.

Not good for someone on a tight budget but one size really does not fit all. The good news is that good hunting scopes cost only a couple of hundred $$$.

OFG

That 3-12x44 would be a great deer scope. But for me, in that price range I would buy either the SWFA SS 3-9 or the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9 both would serve your needs and budget well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you used the scope yet? Is the 6-24 magnification too high for short range (200 yard) target shooting? </div></div>

No, 6x isn't too much for 200 yards. Anything inside of 100 yards you might have some trouble though.
(at least that was my experience with it).

Personal oppinion is for hunting or target out to 300m the SS 3 x 9 is a great option, and it is not heavy.

The Mil/Mil and 3X for short pick up of moving targets in my limited opinion are things I would want. In side of 75m the 3x is alot of help when the game is moving, and 9x is more than enough to punching paper at 200m.

You will not be disappointed with a VortexViper PST 2.5-10x44 scope. That is what I use on my AR-15 to hit steel at 600 yards. The clarity is surprisingly clear. Its almost comparable to my $2000 nightforce and the vortex only cost me $600. I am able to see the vapor trail of the bullet on most days through the scope. It's pretty clear for cheap and their customer service is outstanding.

I have a weaver tactical 3-15 FFP with a EMD reticle in the for sale section. It's a nice scope with all the options you would need.

Well, the Weaver looked good, the reviews on it looked mostly good. A few gripes here and there, but overall it seemed like a good deal, so I made the buy.

Will post my thoughts once it gets here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onyx1357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would spend more on the scope than the gun IMO </div></div>

+1 I have a Premiere hunter on a CZ 452. Not permanent but just trying to see how well they combine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you used the scope yet? Is the 6-24 magnification too high for short range (200 yard) target shooting? </div></div>

For target shooting? I don't think you can have too much magnification for that.... I wouldn't use it hunting but that's not what I bought it for.....