• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for Remington 700 VS

joshua414

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2012
Jasper, TN
I've recently purchased a Remington 700 VS .308 from a friend of mine. This rifle seems to be a real shooter. The first (and only) 3 shot group I shot with the rifle measured 0.354" at 100 yards. Being that I think this rifle has a lot of potential for precision shooting I would like to give it a decent scope.

What options do I have out there in the $600 dollar range for decent glass to shoot out to 400 yards or so. The scopes I've looked at so far are the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, Vortex Viper HS 5-15 (Midway exclusive out of stock), Super Snipers 16x and 20x and various other random scopes such as Bushnell Elites and Weavers.

Power range is the more the merrier for me, reticle I don't really care but prefer mildot or some variation of, I don't care if it is illuminated but that's a plus, exposed turrets are a plus but not necessary. Zero resetable turrets are a big plus.

Good light transmission, good clarity, sharp images at high power, good quality and a good warranty are all musts.

Rifle is a range queen only, will not be used for hunting.

Re: Scope for Remington 700 VS

For target/bench shooting are there any advantages to having a variable power scope over a fixed power?

Re: Scope for Remington 700 VS

I would go with a variable. I have used fixed power scopes in the past and I have always found myself wishing I had gone with a variable. Just remember that with a mil-dot reticle, the mil-dots are only correctly calibrated at the maximum magnification setting. So, if you do 100yrd shooting with a 20+ power scope, every heartbeat is going to move the scope noticeably. Your zero/point of impact will remain the same at all magnifications.

For the best light transmission, I would go with a 50mm
objective. I have looked through many Vortex scopes and I have been impressed.

Make sure you get a scope with a parallax focus. That will allow you to focus your reticle against your target at all distances.