• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scope for RPR in 6.5 (Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA, or ???)

jmclean

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2017
I posted this in the bolt action section, but I'm not sure if maybe it should be here instead? If not please feel free to delete this thread...

I'm fairly new to long range shooting and am still working up to 1000 yards (unfortunately not many ranges near me go out that far). I picked up a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmore about 2 months ago and currently own two scopes that aren't bad, but I'm not sure if I should go with one of them for now or see if I can sell or trade for something that would work better?

Currently have:
Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I'm in Tallahassee, FL and haven't found many people locally into long range shooting so if there are any good resources to help me learn please let me know. I've been shooting out to about 300 or 400 yards since I was a kid in the Boy Scouts, and am really enjoying going (well) beyond that.

I am a HUGE fan of the Zeiss HD5s, but IMO they're very hunting-oriented in their reticle designs, capped turrets, and limited elevation travel. So, I guess with that being said, it really depends on whether or not you are going to spend a lot of time shooting at a given distance, or if you intend to move from one distance to another and adjusting the scope to compensate.

If it was me, I'd either use the Viper you've got, or get into something like one of the tactically-oriented Athlons. Just my $.02...

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen a couple Athlon Cronus before and was impressed with what I've heard about them. Any specific model or configuration you'd recommend?

The Zeiss HD5 definitely seems more hunting oriented. Maybe I'll look into a trade. It doesn't seem like it's really going to let me use the RPR up to its potential.

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen a couple Athlon Cronus before and was impressed with what I've heard about them. Any specific model or configuration you'd recommend?

The Zeiss HD5 definitely seems more hunting oriented. Maybe I'll look into a trade. It doesn't seem like it's really going to let me use the RPR up to its potential.

I admit to liking the Cronus quite a bit, if it's within your budget. If not, the Ares seems to be highly regarded by those who have had their hands on one (which I admit that I have not).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably post the Zeiss HD5 in the sale/trade section and see if I can get a Gen 2 PST, Cronus, Ares - or something else well suited for precision work.

For the sub $1000 range I think you've picked the two top contenders in the Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 and the Vortex PST II 5-25x50. I own the PST II and have been really impressed with it so far, I also own much more expensive scopes and while you do tend to "get what you pay for" with optics, the new HD glass has been really impressive in some of these newer scopes. One thing to keep in mind, is that even though the Ares BTR is 4.5x at the short end and the PST II 5x, the Vortex actually has more Field of View (FOV) and to me FOV trumps magnification any day, I'd rather see more through my scope at the low end. The Vortex also has their no questions asked warranty which is a benefit for some. That aside, I have been very close to pulling the trigger on an Athlon optic to see what the hype has been all about...

Guys, "the hype" about Athlon, ""is only what preferred features one might find desirable at a price point"". IMO, like superior well thought tree reticles not having obscuring numbers next to the vertical crosshair, or often a little better glass than other brands near the same price point and close focus with some of the offerings as close as 10Y. That's pretty much it - that one can have those cool features in less expensive scopes. Remember, it was only a few years ago these features existed only in certain expensive scopes with the S&B 5-25/H59 coming to mind first and why I bought them pre Athlon. Of course these are the features I prefer which is why I got excited about them and why I have continued enthusiasm. If those features aren't important to you then spending more money might be a better idea, might not be either though???

I look at it this way...Pick any scope on the market and one can find things they like about it and things they don't. Any scope you just picked could break at any point and maybe multiple times regardless of cost. For the most part scopes track good enough to hit 1.5 moa steel out to 1000Y no problem. So the question I've asked myself is - why spend more money which could be hundreds, if not thousands, on a more refined optic for general shooting??? In other words, yeah sure I'd like a TT, but I dislike their only reticle and it doesn't focus close, but it has the best glass and the best tool less turrets around. I can afford to buy one at a sacrifice, but no way will I, because it's disqualified by lacking some features important to me, so okay we're talking about saving over $2000 bucks and having the features I want but knowing full well a Cronus won't measure up to TT in refinement, I can live with that. Or, will I buy another S&B???, not likely, because that Cronus is 97% of an S&B to me but half the cost. Yuh know, life is rough.

Take that little Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44. Let's just say the build quality could be better in this $300 scope. I don't like the stiffer action on the parallax and illume knobs and the turrets could stand improvement. I do like the size, the weight, the 10Y focus, the awesome reticle, the good glass, that it does have illumination, the tracking and the reliability so far. Now take the SWFA 3-15, it's more refined and over twice the cost. If comparing, I like the turrets better, the huge elevation travel, and the 6M focus on the SWFA, I don't like the reticle and that the focus stops about 700Y out. Nope, to me there's enough distaste there that I find myself wanting to use the Talos because I like it's combined features a lot more. Plus they are so inexpensive I have put them(and the Argos BTR) on all my rifles I deem not needing a more expensive scope! That right there is a biggy!

Every Wednesday we meet at a friends house to shoot. Often I'll have some high end rifles and some regular rifles. I don't find it any harder to hit our 1122Y steel/ 19"x21" using any of the scopes I/we own. It's the cartridge, the wind and the accuracy of the rifles that hinders, not that one scope is $300 and the other $3850. Most memorable was hitting that steel many times in a row on a calm day with the Talos BTR mounted on the 6mmFatRat.

The Ares just brings the value of price per feature up a few more notches is all with it's 10 mil knobs, a ZS, the new APLR3 reticle and wide 6 times mag range.

Perhaps the "hype" should be...spending the money you saved on buying other cool gun stuff!