• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for ruger 10/22 16" rifle

AlphaDog504

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2020
I've used the search button and couldn't find a solid answer. I have a 10/22 with the 16" barrel in a magpul x22 stock. Did a bx trigger upgrade along with the normal internal upgrades. Right now I have a primary arms red dot that I put on it when I first bought it for plinking. But now I have a charger for plinking and want to make this more of a target puncher/ varmint hunter. I'm trying to stay under $300 for a scope with a simple reticle. I've been looking at the nikon rimfire either 3x9 or 4x12, the burris fullfield iv 2.5x10 or 3x12, and the athlon scopes. How important is it to have parallax adjustment? I'm going to be shooting under 100 yards. I know these are sfp scopes but I am open to ffp also but I haven't stumbled across any in my price range. Not looking for anything Gucci just a solid scope. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry to be so long winded but trying to get as much needed info in the OP as possible.

Last edited:
I just got one of these for my 10/22. Haven't got a chance to put it on and try it out, but it looks pretty nice. I mostly use my rifle for punching 2" targets at 100 yards. I prefer SFP scopes for short distances.

I've used the search button and couldn't find a solid answer. I have a 10/22 with the 16" barrel in a magpul x22 stock. Did a bx trigger upgrade along with the normal internal upgrades. Right now I have a primary arms red dot that I put on it when I first bought it for plinking. But now I have a charger for plinking and want to make this more of a target puncher/ varmint hunter. I'm trying to stay under $300 for a scope with a simple reticle. I've been looking at the nikon rimfire either 3x9 or 4x12, the burris fullfield iv 2.5x10 or 3x12, and the athlon scopes. How important is it to have parallax adjustment? I'm going to be shooting under 100 yards. I know these are sfp scopes but I am open to ffp also but I haven't stumbled across any in my price range. Not looking for anything Gucci just a solid scope. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry to be so long winded but trying to get as much needed info in the OP as possible.
A guy I work with has a athlon neos 4-12x40 I'm going to try out. He's asking $110. So I guess I can waste 100 bucks to see if I like it or not. And go from there.

I’ve got one of the TacSol Xrings in a x22 and have been thinking about doing more the a red dot as well. I’m think tho that this light weight of a rig with this stock might warrant a smaller lighter scope. Even pondering a NX8 1-8.

Parallax for a 22 is important. Depending on what you want to do, you can go with a shotgun scope that has its parallax set or go with a scope that you can set it close in. If you are target shooting it will make a difference.

Thanks everyone for the info. Just got the Athlon and I'm going to mount it tomorrow. Hopefully I can make some time this weekend to go test it out.

I have the Vortex Diamondback tactical 4x16. Was out getting ready for a NRL22 match this weekend and really enjoyed this scope. Turrets are mushy, but I knew that going in. Glass is clear and I really like the information provided by the retinal.

How do you like the Athlon? I am thinking about the 3x12 w/ mil dot for my 10/22 also.

Love it for nailing varmints under 50 yards and I've been punching paper out to 125 yards. The glass is clear. For the price it's a heavy hitter in my book.

I put a Ares BTR GEN2 4.5-27×50 with Athlon rings on a Ruger 10/22 Custom Shop.
Have been extremely satisfied with it for the price. $799 from CameraLand on special.
Call Doug.

Reactions: NewsShooter
The SWFA 6x and 10x Mil-quad scopes are nice.The 6x lets you focus real close.I also run a SWFA 1x4 on a 10/22.

I put a Ares BTR GEN2 4.5-27×50 with Athlon rings on a Ruger 10/22 Custom Shop.
Have been extremely satisfied with it for the price. $799 from CameraLand on special.
Call Doug.
I've got a couple of these, eyebox is tight at max power but glass is decent and tracking is accurate. They are more than the price listed above.

At $399, I would be looking at the Arken Optics 4-16 Gen2. Superb glass, and awesome turrets and reticle. It is FFP though, but also has a zero stop!! 👍

DK

I use a Vortex 1-4x PST and it gets the job done well... I'm not a big fan of magnification on a .22 though.

i am sort of thinking about a scope to replace the cheap red dot on my takedown light.
just for fun shooting, but i don't want crappy glass.