• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for Ruger American Rimfire

evangorp

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2013
I have recently purchased a Ruger American Rimfire rifle to use as a beginner/training rifle to gain an understanding into the world of precision shooting. While I know this rifle is new to the market I personally feel that it has potential. I went back and forth between this and a Savage, and in the end the Ruger just fit me more comfortably. With that being said I was originally going to set my 10/22 and this rifle up as benchrest shooters, and after reading and browsing different areas of this forum as well as youtube videos from members of this forum, I believe what I am truly wanting to learn isn't so much the accuracy of bench shooting, but the skills of shooting/marksmanship that have been taught to the military over the years. Where this endeavor goes, I'm not sure. I hope to purchase a centerfire rifle in the next year and begin building it, but want to make sure this is something I want to do, hence the reason I am starting with a .22.

Now on to my question/need for suggestion. I was originally going to buy as Mueller APT, but after reading what I have read, I believe I am looking for something with a mil-quad reticle(believe that is what it is called). My list has been narrowed to the following scopes:

1)BSA Tactical from Midway (seems to get good reviews, however it is made in China I believe) $250
2)SS either in 10X, 12X, or 16X (there seems to be lots of positive comments about these scopes here on the forum) $300
3)Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 (Now I know this scope is in a totally different league but it caught my eye, my biggest concern is that the parallax only adjusts down to 50 yards) $560

I have my 10/22 set up with tech sights, so it will be my 0-100 gun so therefore the RAR will probably be shot from 25(50)-200+, I have a range close by that goes out to 300, farthest range anywhere close.

If you guys could offer insight as to whether I am thinking/going about this the right way, as well as if I am thinking about optics correctly and which route you feel would be best for someone starting out. I want the optics to make the experience push me into the sport, not discourage me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you are wanting to stretch the legs of the .22, 300 yards is a great distance to work on wind calls, as it is close to a 308 wind drift at 1000yards. You'll need lots of elevation travel, and also the ability to focus close for the short range stuff. I've been recommending the SS 3-15x for .22 trainers due to 36 mils of elevation, and 10 mils of hold over in the reticle and the ability to focus down to 7 yards. Great glass and FFP, again one of the most versatile scopes on the market under $700. And, can be switched over to the full power rifle later.
If that's a little too spendy, the SS 10x is the next best bet, IMO.

Last edited:
I have a SS 10x and I like it a lot, would be a great pairing to your new RAR in my opinion. The fixed super snipers are by far one of the best values for an entry level long range scope on the market. Let me know how she shoots, we just received some and I've been eyeballing them. They feel quite a bit nicer than any of our other rimfire bolt guns, besides the CZs.

I have the Midway exclusive Weaver 3-10x40 on my Ruger 10/22 and Im pleased with it. I would go there or the SS 10X.

I am definitely leaning towards the SS scopes of some sort, not sure if I can spring for the 3-15 right now, but am considering one of them. The other scope that caught my eye last night was the Pride Prowler 3-12. It has AO, FFP, illumination, zero set turrets, and some other features I can't remember. Although they are new and there isn't much info on them yet, but for $349 they look interesting. I really wishl SS would come out with a 4-14, to compete with the falcon menace, in a price range of 450-500.