• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for SCAR 17S

vincent317

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
NC
This past weekend I made an impulse buy, FN SCAR 17S. I have a couple of AR15s and the SCAR is my first .308. I already have scopes for the ARs; Burris MTAC 1-4 and MTAC 4.5-14. Most of my shooting right now is 200 yards and under but with this new rifle I would like to get out further maxing out at approx. 700 yards. I shoot pretty much just paper and do not hunt or compete. With that being said, I am looking for a new scope for the SCAR. I have narrowed my list down to the following:

Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 (still undecided about SFP or FFP)
IOR/Valdada 3.5-18x50 FFP
Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x50 FFP

The only reason I ruled out the USOptics 3.2-17x44 is because I do not want to wait a couple of months for a scope.

The reason I am going back and forth on SFP vs. FFP is that I am going on 60 and my eyes are not what they use to be.

I have heard that SCAR 17's are rough on optics so I want a scope that is sturdy. I plan on using an AADLand 20moa fixed mount. My budget is $2500 +/-.

I would like your input on the glass quality, sturdiness, and features of the scopes I have listed above and provide input on any others that I might be overlooking.

This purchase will probably take place in the next 48 hours so input on the best prices would also be appreciated.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance and input.

I have the Vortex Razor HD 1-6x and like it a lot, it is 2nd focal plane though which is good for its design. It was designed with 3gun in mind so it has a very simple reticle and that could be good or bad depending on how busy you like your reticles. Oh and I paid right around $1200 plus my Spuhr mount was around $400 I think.
If you want a FFP scope I think I would get the US Optics they make a 1-8 that has a busier reticle and they have two models. One is $1999 and they other is $2499 and their is a few different options between the two.
Then you have the Leupold 1-6x and 1-8x but they are pricy and I am not 100% familiar with them but they do come with a few different reticle options.
The last scope I am going to talk about is the new updated Nightforce 2.5-10x and that I think it about $1700 but dont quote me on that. Again do the research on that scope too. I believe this scope will reach the farthest out of the ones I mentioned. You could always run a red dot at 45* for close shooting.
Hope this opens up some options it never hurts to hear what else is out there.

I have a Vortex Razor HDII 1-6x, A Bushnell Tactical in 4.5-30x, and a S&B PMII 5-25x plus the Elcan in 1-4x. I also have a SCAR 17S configured with a 21" SSR clone setup. They are all good scopes but the Vortex is not sufficient for true target discrimination and use at 700 yards. I would go with the Bushnell in 3.5-21x. I use the 4.5-30x and Elcan on my SCAR depending on what I'm shooting. For a removable mount just get a LaRue product. For a permanent mount go with a Spuhr mount. Oh and I would never get a SFP scope for any kind of distance.

First of all, congrats on buying such a fine rifle. All of the scopes mentioned above would probably serve you well. I personally have an Elcan 1.5-6 on mine, and couldn't be happier. Go over to the FN forums and ask around. The last time I frequented that place, it seemed like a lot of guys were running Nightforce on their Scars.

I alternate between a Leupy 1-6x24 and a March F 3-24x42 on my SCAR 17s depending on what I'm shooting at and it's range. I have both mounted to a Bobro 30mm extended one piece mount. For 600-700 yards, you'll be wanting at least 12x, if not 15x magnification. I usually shoot the March long range at 18x power, as beyond that the eye box position gets more critical, but I have not had any problems with it. I got lucky with the March, finding a barely used one with illumination for under $2k. I believe that you can get the non-illuminated one for about $2.1k and the illuminated model for about $2.7k. Kelbys is the only US supplier. The glass is perfect, the scope and turrets are low profile and the lightest of anything comparable out there, which befits the SCAR well. I have not experienced and have not heard of any issues with the March on the SCAR, despite the rumors of it being hard on optics.
Skip

Last edited:
S&B 1-8 short dot, I paid around 2800-2900....think street price is about 3200$ now

Scar 17 hasn't beat it yet but it wrecked a couple others. I know your looking at higher mag scopes, but I feel the 17 is best staying light (replaced a 2.5-10 NF on it)

Last edited:
Is there a list of optics that the SCAR will destroy VS ones that are GTG?

If you haven't purchased yet, I would consider the Vortex Razor HD 5-20X 50mm with EBR-2B reticle and 10mil turrets. I love mine on my DTA SRS and no problems yet with my 308 and 338LM conversions. Great glass, FFP and Lifetime, transferrable warranty. I'm 65 and works fine for me! Just sell it, if you don't find it fits your needs. Never had issues with my March F 3-24X 42mm or FX 5-40X 56mm on my Barrett MRAD 338LM and don't need to lug a spotting scope around. Just dial down magnification for better FOV and less mirage.

If you haven't purchased yet, I would consider the Vortex Razor HD 5-20X 50mm with EBR-2B reticle and 10mil turrets. I love mine on my DTA SRS and no problems yet with my 308 and 338LM conversions. Great glass, FFP and Lifetime, transferrable warranty. I'm 65 and works fine for me! Just sell it, if you don't find it fits your needs. Never had issues with my March F 3-24X 42mm or FX 5-40X 56mm on my Barrett MRAD 338LM and don't need to lug a spotting scope around. Just dial down magnification for better FOV and less mirage.

Thanks for the recomendation, but this is about the SCAR17. It has a specific recoil impulse that would kill optics that otherwise work on .338 and .50 Bolt guns.
Just trying to get a list of GTG and what to stay away from for the weapon system.

i've set up a few scar 17 rifles, the 1-6 swarovski is a neat option, I have a guy who uses an aimpoint micro T1, i've got a handfull of customers running the nightforce 2.5-10x32, and many of them are using a trijicon rmr at close range. that rifle is so light, yet it can reach out there, you want to balance magnification and not over encumbering the rifle. I've done a few with larger optics, heck i've even had a guy throw a 5.5-22x56 on a scar, but most people i've helped set up seem to like the smaller to mid sized optics. just chiming in, you can check out a few in the links below

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...066561.-2207520000.1379436133.&type=3&theater

here is one with a 3.5-15x50

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...066561.-2207520000.1379436152.&type=3&theater

here is one with an eotech
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...066561.-2207520000.1379436157.&type=3&theater

here is one with a 1-4
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...066561.-2207520000.1379436341.&type=3&theater

another with a 1-4
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...066561.-2207520000.1379436346.&type=3&theater

just a couple of pictures so you can get an idea of size and aesthetics, I wouldn't be upset if everyone went and "liked" out facebook page as well. :)

Thanks for all of the informative and enlightening input. I ended up getting the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 (model C429) and the AADLand 20 moa mount. I am very impressed with both. The scope is on the large side for my SCAR but for the benchrest shooting I am doing right now it is working just fine. The SCAR is also more accurate than I originally thought. I was able to string 4 rounds together at 100 yards but I never could get 5 to touch. BTW the 4 touching was a one time thing but all my groups have been fairly close, at least for me. Now that I am getting use to the rifle and scope I am going to start moving out further. We'll see how this weekend goes.
FNH SCAR 17S 02.jpg

Now that you've got your SCAR scoped, you need to get a better trigger in order to really tighten up your groups.
Skip

Now that you've got your SCAR scoped, you need to get a better trigger in order to really tighten up your groups.
Skip

I've considered that. I have a Geissele SSA-E on one of my ARs and it is, without a doubt, the best rifle trigger I've had the pleasure of shooting. I must have gotten lucky with my SCAR as the trigger is not near as heavy and gritty as some have posted. I want to give the original trigger more rounds to see how it does but I can see another Geissele in my future, they're just that damn good.

I think I would add the Leupold 3-18 to that short list. It is pretty small so it would be a nice fit.

I've considered that. I have a Geissele SSA-E on one of my ARs and it is, without a doubt, the best rifle trigger I've had the pleasure of shooting. I must have gotten lucky with my SCAR as the trigger is not near as heavy and gritty as some have posted. I want to give the original trigger more rounds to see how it does but I can see another Geissele in my future, they're just that damn good.
My SCAR OEM trigger was neither exceptionally heavy or gritty, but the Geissele Super Scar is a huge improvement. I've heard really good things about the Shooting Sight trigger as well.
Skip

You have very good choices listed. Another good choice to look at would be the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44mm, they are very light and offer great tactical features.

Here is one CERAKOTE in FDE
1175312_601482519894265_85856927_n.jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL