• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

scope height

bdriven

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
Hello guys,
so, as I'm going deeper in my project, more questions arise.
(the project is turning a Remington 742, into a "sniper" toy),
almost done with the tactical stock, have a picatinny rail mountend for a bipod, and I'm about to work on the threads for the barrel. now, my latest question is, the suppressor I'm mounting on it, is about 2 inches in diameter, is it possible to tell, what height rings I would need for the scope? (3-9x40) to make sure it does not interfere with the suppressor?
Thanks!!!

Re: scope height

1. WTF is a "Sniper" Toy?

I think you may be better received if you just refer to it as a range gun since I seriously doubt you will be using it in any type of Sniper role.

2. Ring height needs to be based on scope objective diameter and cheek-weld. If you mount it real low you may see a very light shadow in the bottom of your scope on 3x. What will be more of an issue with the suppressor is mirage when you are firing it rapidly. That's the price you will pay for a suppressor. There are covers that can mitigate the issue, but you will still get some mirage off the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF is a "Sniper" Toy?</div></div>

Its the new thing, all the cool kids have them.

NerfLongshotYellow01.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. WTF is a "Sniper" Toy?

I think you may be better received if you just refer to it as a range gun since I seriously doubt you will be using it in any type of Sniper role.
</div></div>

Can somebody please explain to me (a new comer to the sport and this website) why the word "snipe" and its derivatives are so highly revered that the mere mention of them in a non-literal context results in a slap down? I've seen this in various threads on this website (called "Sniper's Hide").

The term "Sniper" is a much revered word and TITLE especially on this site. Anyone can be a precision marksman, some can even add precision long range marksman. Only those that have been through the trials and tribulations of completing "Sniper" School (Mil or LE) followed by the assignment and employment as a designated "Sniper", are entitled to the title. While a great deal of terminology may be considered petty, those that have earned the TITLE are very protective of it and are quick to offer scathing commentary to those who use it in an incorrect or off hand manner.

Just because you are a member of Snipers Hide does not make you a Sniper.

Just because you have a heavy barreled bolt action rifle with a big honking scope on top does not make you a Sniper.

Just because you have a multi thousand dollar weapons system and may even know how to use it does not make you a Sniper.

Even if you have won 7 National High Power Championships and produced a video on sniping, you are not a Sniper.

Sniping is not a "Sport" or a "Hobby" it is a JOB. Tactical Marksman, Precision Marksman, Long Range Precision Marksman, Sh!t Hot Rifle Driver may approximate the "shooting" skills of a sniper but doing the JOB is where the difference lies. Much more to sniping than just the shot.

Cheers,

Doc