• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope help

Ty21

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2020
Oregon
Scope help trying to decide between the Steiner t5xi 5x25 or Leupold mark 5 5x25 or athlon Cronus btr gen 2 4.5x29 or vortex razor gen 2…..I’m leaning towards the Steiner because it comes in under 1600 but I’ve been reading about some bad reviews about them and there warranty is there a better scope under $1600? I really can’t afford $2000

Search some of the other posts, probably with this exact title, and see what questions you should address on your post so folks can give you proper advice. It’s not as simple as what you’re asking. For instance, the first question that comes to mind is what’s your intended use? 🍻

Reactions: Ty21
Leupold and Vortex seem to have the better Customer Service and Support, if needed.

Whatever you do, buy from @gr8fuldoug

He’d love to assist and takes care of Hide members.
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it is always our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with the members here. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes.

One thing you should do is take a good look at reticles and see who offers one that you want. That is key

you can get a razor gen2 for $1600 new easily

Yup. Get with Liberty Optics and they can get there. Other vendors too. Just need to call and ask as they can only advertise the MAP price on their site.

Reactions: Holliday
I’m leaning towards the Steiner because it comes in under 1600 but I’ve been reading about some bad reviews about them
One of those reviews was probably mine. My T5xi had excessive chromatic aberration but their CS replaced it no problem. Excessive CA seems to be a common issue with T5xi. My friend runs a Mk5 and it has some slight CA, my replacement Steiner doesn't have any.

Last edited:
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it is always our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with the members here. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes.

One thing you should do is take a good look at reticles and see who offers one that you want. That is key
The mark 5 has eve to like but the only thing is the edge to edge clarity isn’t as clear it looked fine to me in the store but I want to look at it outside

Search some of the other posts, probably with this exact title, and see what questions you should address on your post so folks can give you proper advice. It’s not as simple as what you’re asking. For instance, the first question that comes to mind is what’s your intended use? 🍻
Long range shooting I want to out to 1000 and up to a mile

My Steiner T5xi has performed quite well at 1,000 yard F-class matches and out to 1,600 or so yards. I was very happy with it as my first "high-end" scope. I think it'll do just fine for your use cases.

As I've picked up fancier optics, I will say that it seems fussy with the eyebox; the image quality can be pretty rough if you aren't behind it just right. Additionally, the SCR reticle is quite fine, so in busy target areas it might be hard to get a good sight picture. That said, I had no problems using it for 1k F-class shoots.

Between the two: both will likely work well for you, it's just a matter of reticle preference and illumination.

My Steiner T5xi has performed quite well at 1,000 yard F-class matches and out to 1,600 or so yards. I was very happy with it as my first "high-end" scope. I think it'll do just fine for your use cases.

As I've picked up fancier optics, I will say that it seems fussy with the eyebox; the image quality can be pretty rough if you aren't behind it just right. Additionally, the SCR reticle is quite fine, so in busy target areas it might be hard to get a good sight picture. That said, I had no problems using it for 1k F-class shoots.

Between the two: both will likely work well for you, it's just a matter of reticle preference and illumination.
I don’t need illumination the Steiner seems nice but I like the reticle on the Leupold because it’s open on top to spot trace and stuff

I have a cronus 4.5-29 gen 2. I am fairly pleased with it, the glass is good, the adjustments very tactile and crisp. However, eye box is extremely tight at max magnification.
The Burris XTR III and bushnell DMR II Pro are also in your price range.

I have a cronus 4.5-29 gen 2. I am fairly pleased with it, the glass is good, the adjustments very tactile and crisp. However, eye box is extremely tight at max magnification.
The Burris XTR III and bushnell DMR II Pro are also in your price range.
Great more scopes……illl look at those

Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56 for less than your price range. Put it in the cart and be happy. Big eye box through whole power range and great reticle.

Reactions: Ty21 and b6graham
Fu
Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56 for less than your price range. Put it in the cart and be happy. Big eye box through whole power range and great reticle.

Funny you just posted that I was just on there website looking

Reactions: Rob01
Fu

Funny you just posted that I was just on there website looking

Price for 4.5-27 is less than that used 3-15 above. Can’t lose for that price.

Price for 4.5-27 is less than that used 3-15 above. Can’t lose for that price.
If that is the case it’s indeed a no brainer to buy the 4.5-27x56 however the price showing is $1999.00 for that scope as of a few seconds ago.

Did you add it to the cart by clicking “buy it now”?

if no, you made the same mistake i did by not adding it to the cart, lol
O I added it to the cart it says 1499 in the cart but the web page says 1999

1635390156709.gif

Reactions: b6graham
Yup in January.
That stinks. Just became a member at a range that goes out to 1250. I really got the itch to learn long range shooting. Just bought a Bergara b14 hmr wilderness. I was torn between the Athlon Cronus and the gen 2 razor. That price would have been to good lol.

That stinks. Just became a member at a range that goes out to 1250. I really got the itch to learn long range shooting. Just bought a Bergara b14 hmr wilderness. I was torn between the Athlon Cronus and the gen 2 razor. That price would have been to good lol.
Yeah but I’ve heard the Cronus is supposed to just a good I also looked at the ares etr before I got the razor

• Haha

Always the used market if you wanted to save a little money. Take a look down there.