• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Scope Ideas for ruger 10/22

buds444

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2011
Utah
Looking to spend around 200-300 dollars for the scope, plus rings and base. I'd like something that feels quality, mainly for plinking and having fun. I know the question is asked all the time but scope options are always changing as well so I figure I'd throw it out there. Thanks for the advice.

Edit - I forgot to explain my desires and wishes for this gun. I'm using it for plinking steel. The most we shoot at is 50 yards. Most he time under. We have an action target dueling tree we go to town on, so I'm interested in red dot type scopes, without the cheapness that you usually find in red dots. A scope that does both jobs, being long range able and red dot would be excellent. A knockoff acog if you will. That's what i'm looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions.

- Brandon

Re: Scope Ideas for ruger 10/22

Depends alot on your planned use but i'm really enjoying a swfa ss fixed 6x on the 10/22. With an egw 20moa base and low swfa rings it's been cranked to 300 yds a couple times successfully. Never thought a 22 would be his much fun.
Pic isn't great but you can sort of make out how the setup fits up.
2012-01-26_18-58-34_397.jpg

I initially had a hensoldt 4x24mm scope on my 10/22 and loved it. It is a bit over your price range but I was able to pick out my 22 holes in the Target at 100yds easily! If I'm lying, I'm dying. Sure the reticle looks odd, but once you get used to it its fine.

Another scope I've been hearing rave reviews from some locals is the Falcon Menace 4-14x44. Great glass for the price, good reticle, and good tracking.

I'm running a weaver 3-10x40 tactical (the midway exclusive one) on my rifle right now. It's a little much but it is fun.

I'm probably gonna swap it for the 1.5-5 falcon i've got here.

Thank you all for the replies. I forgot to mention I'm interested in a red dot type of scope rather than one built for "accuracy." I'm just trying to avoid the cheapo red dots you can find all over. A nice knockoff of an acog would be great or any scope that could fill the gap between a red dot and a proper rifle scope.

have u looked at the lupys fire dot a little more money then you are looking to spend but have the dot along with the rifle scope, i have one on my 22 and love it

That would in theory work. However it may be getting a bit more advanced than is desired. Me myself I would love a true mil dot set up. This is more for kids and parents who pick it up and want something red showing them where to shoot. I shoot a ton on action target's dueling tree with this rifle so anything relating to quick acquisition and accuracy with that would be awesome.

I placed the Sig red dot scope that they ship the 550 rifles with, it is crap on a
5.56mm rifle but just great on a 22lr, need a picatinny rail though

I have a Mueller 8.5x25 and it will work for you and be able yo buy a base and rings. For a a little more you can get a SWFA SS 10x.

I've used a Meuller 8.5-25, have a nikon buckmaster 6-18 md mounted right now.

Meuller
Pros: Price, higher magnification, will focus down to 10yards.
cons: dislike the turrets and how they are marked. 7.5 moa per revolution. Why not make it an even number. Not a big deal if you don't shoot past 100, but if you do it will mess with you. That is the reason why it's not on the gun anymore.

Buckmaster
pros: feels like a much higher quality than the meuller, but at twice the price it should. Even number of moa per rev on the turrets, like every other scope on the market except for the meuller. Turrets repeat and feel solid.
cons: fat reticle. Doesn't focus below 50 yards, that's been bugging me. Even at the lowest mag it's not clear on closer shots.

I've shot out to 150yds with the Mueller but I have a 20moa scope base on mine.

"Reliable" red dot in that price range - Burris Fastfire II with picatinny mount. "Reliable" is a relative term and you're not going to get something you can beat the snot out of unless you double or triple your budget, but I gather you know that.

I went through the same dilemma on one of my 10/22 rigs - I didn't want NcStar crap but didn't want to spring for an EoTech / Aimpont on a backyard plinking rifle. I settled on the FastFire and have had a lot of fun with it. It's a reflex type sight, so no magnification but it gets the job done.

+1 on the Fastfire II, it is a good site and if you rough handle things, get the protective wing mount for it.

Ultradots are good red dots for the money.

For the OP's stated use a variable with a starting power above 2.5x (most 2-7x scopes actually bottom out @ 2.5) is not needed and can actually be a hindrance. Same should be said for AO.

IMO, the Redfield 2-7x and Weaver 2-7x are tough to beat for about anything. Yes, the Redfield's have parallax set at 100 yards but I have zero issues from 10 yards to infinity with mine for anything I do. Other options include the many many 1.5-4x and 1.5-6x shotgun scopes out there.

LK

Ultra Dot.
Looks at the optics classifieds here.
Picked up a Mueller Dot last week for $75

Coach