• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope leveling short action customs

Northtogladwin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Looking to get a leveling kit looking at sac, who had used it? And can I just but the mount to level without the bases of I have a tripod or bench at home

Looking to get a leveling kit looking at sac, who had used it? And can I just but the mount to level without the bases of I have a tripod or bench at home
I own the final scope level from SAC. I don’t have a mount but just clip it into my tripod or stick it in a vice.

I use my heavy scope tracking tool. I level in on the concrete floor, attach the ring base to the pic rail, pushing both bases in the same direction then level the reticle to a plumb bob string.

I have the Badger Dead Level but I find it is too light and easy to bump out of alignment with the string. I prefer the weight of the STT for a stable platform to mount the scope on.

T

Just level the crosshairs to the horizon and with a scope attached bubble level. The gun/scope relationship level isn't critical.

Buy a set of the Fix-It-Sticks levels. Mount one on your pic rail under your scope, and place the other one long-ways on your pic rail, and somewhat level your rifle side-to-side & front-to-back (doesn’t have to be perfect). Then remove the small level, mount your rings and scope, and put the other level on your turret. Make the 2 levels match each other, and not necessarily level to the ground. Torque to specs, remove levels, put them back in the bag until you need them again. 👍🏼

Take that advice from someone who used a Badger Ordnance Dead Level for 10 years, and now it collects dust.

Last edited:
1686056182167.jpeg

Buy a set of the Fix-It-Sticks levels. Mount one on your pic rail under your scope, and place the other one long-ways on your pic rail, and somewhat level your rifle side-to-side & front-to-back (doesn’t have to be perfect). Then remove the small level, mount your rings and scope, and put the other level on your turret. Make the 2 levels match each other, and not necessarily level to the ground. Torque to specs, remove levels, put them back in the bag until you need them again. 👍🏼

Take that advice from someone who used a Badger Ordnance Dead Level for 10 years, and now it collects dust.

Any interest in selling your Badger Ordnance Dead level?

Reactions: Northtogladwin
This will get your scope guts square to the base or Pic rail.
It is fast and it works.

./

This is what I have, only down side is I can’t level my scope in a low one piece mount.

This will get your scope guts square to the base or Pic rail.
It is fast and it works.

./

If you don’t have a pic rail under your scope like on a traditional Remington hunting rifle and the nice tools pointed out from @Terry Cross and @FuhQ won’t work, this is what I do. I’m sure there’s many issues with it but…

Basically you’re aligning the line between the centers of two circles to be perpendicular to gravity (barrel and scope objective). Then you get the reticle plum.
  1. Put rifle on tripod
  2. Eyeball buttstock so it’s perpendicular-ish to ground
  3. Mount rings, get scope in the right place, leave scope loose-ish
  4. Use a EXD Engineering Vertical Retictle Instrument from Brownells ($50) to get the virtual line that bisects the rifle bore and the scope objective perpendicular to gravity
  5. Find the side of a house that’s perpendicular to the ground, or some window trim, or hang a plum line out there
  6. Align vertical reticle line to edge of whatever in step #5
  7. Tighten, recheck, drink a beer

Caveats:
Assume that the bore is concentric to barrel…yeah, I know…and the barrel and scope objective are “well-enough” round.

Also doesn’t work if you can’t place the tool onto the barrel or scope.

Step #6 hint: you can leave the EXD tool on the gun and look into the scope, through the cutout it has in the middle to see your plum object for the reticle plum-ness. This makes it easy to see if your gun/scope relationship is also level as you move things about.

But hold onto the EXD or it’ll fall…I point rifle very very slightly up to help it not fall (and yeah, I KNOW that throws off the plum a fraction).

Seems to work. Probably a piece of shit. Fucking scope aligning lol…

P.S. This is really just the anal and more $$$ version of what @spife7980 suggests. You could just eyeball the gun/scope to insure it’s straight up and down before turning the scope to get the ret plum.

Last edited:
If they wanted my business they would turn off their ads!
I was getting at the fact that some adblockers also accidentally block user-pasted-in Amazon links. Like if I pasted in a simple non-affiliate link to some random product on Amazon, people with certain blockers just see an Amazon icon.

I’m not telling you to turn it off and keep it off. Just helping you troubleshoot the issue.

If you don’t have a pic rail under your scope like on a traditional Remington hunting rifle and the nice tools pointed out from @Terry Cross and @FuhQ won’t work, this is what I do. I’m sure there’s many issues with it but…
It's 2023... Who doesn't use pic rail bases in 2023? Take that Fudd shit over to LRH. 😂

I know, I know, but some of my rifles (cough CZ 527 cough Browning T-bolt cough) just look better bare nekkid with their sexy dovetails and bare bolts showing 🍑
Everyone has their preference... Personally, I'm running rails on everything...Even rimfires, 10/22, etc... It just makes swapping scopes exponentially easier.

I was getting at the fact that some adblockers also accidentally block user-pasted-in Amazon links. Like if I pasted in a simple non-affiliate link to some random product on Amazon, people with certain blockers just see an Amazon icon.

I’m not telling you to turn it off and keep it off. Just helping you troubleshoot the issue.

Apparently not an ad blocker, seems to be my anti-virus/spyware as it is listed as "not secure".

Reactions: carbonbased
20230611_104353.jpg

Just a quick tip. Bright orange or yellow bowfishing line makes for a great plumb bob line. And it's rugged. I keep a 4'-5' length tied to a bunch of big flat washers and tacks in my range box.

Works great in summer and winter. 👍

Use a combination of everything mentioned here.

Arisaka mini lever can be useless depending on the mount design when using unimounts. Mount can be too low or the area under the saddle isn’t flat enough (raised ridge feature down middle of mount used to be fairly popular).

Starrett mini levels are indeed garbage, I use a Stabila. The digital angle gauges can be a good alternative.

I use reflective orange guy-lining for my plumb bob line.

Badger Dead Level is in fact too light. Also check yours to make sure the base and rail are actually level to each other.

Reactions: Holliday
Don’t overthink the problem.
I have a doorway in the shop that’s plumb, so I don’t need a string and bob weight
DBB5B642-7E38-4787-A1BC-416360C332AF.jpeg

I like my scopes level, but keep it simple. I mount the rifle receiver in the bench vise with rubber/silicone jaws and adjust so the top of the receiver is level. Doesn't work with round receivers and old style mounts, but is easy for anything with a flat top or a rail.

Then just mount the scope and use the same bubble level (in the same orientation, for consistency) on the scope's top turret to mount it level. If I'm mounting a bubble level to the scope, that gets mounted at this time as well of course.

Sometimes turrets aren't perfectly level with the reticle, but the only time I've seen it off enough to notice was a recent Arken scope purchase and even that was barely noticeable.

Reactions: Baron23