• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope leveling

Nightlybane

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
Illinois
Hi, first time leveling a scope. What's the best scope levels? I'm wanting one that will last. I'm mounting a leupold vx-r 1.5-4 patrol that I've got with a Leupold mount. Any recommendations? It's an older scope that I bought a few years ago. Still works like a charm though.

Use the search bar on here. Quite a few topics with recommendations and folks techniques

I line up the virticle stadia with the centerline of the action looking at it from a foot or so away….

Deck of cards, stack of feeler gauges, ariska leveling wedges if you're a gadget whore like me.

Reactions: Czechvar
Deck of cards, stack of feeler gauges, ariska leveling wedges if you're a gadget whore like me.

I have more mounts that won’t let me get away with using the small leveler than I have mounts where I’ve been able to actually use it.

a deck of playing cards
I'll have to research that
The deck of playing cards is so simple and works so good.
I'll have to figure it out. I've never done this but I think I got an armorer to do it for $35
I line up the virticle stadia with the centerline of the action looking at it from a foot or so away….
Copy that.
I love gadgets. It's what I like lol
I have more mounts that won’t let me get away with using the small leveler than I have mounts where I’ve been able to actually use it.
I understand that. Something I'll have to note

My method: see pic
- level table
- level rifle
- level scope (if possible)
- level grid

- shine flashlight from objective thru scope to rear. Adjust Ocular focus to project sharp image on a gridded chart. Line up the vertical line of your reticle to the grid.
- snug rings.
- Go to range
- Set plumb bob with thick string hanging from target backer.
- set final alignment by aligning reticle alongside the string @ 50y for LPVO's (100y for larger scopes).
- Lock down rings to recommend torque spec.
- If a precision scope - then go to 100 and perform tall target test and return to zero. (See video on Hide)

Attachments

• 20220330_102545.jpg
    20220330_102545.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220330_102608.jpg
    20220330_102608.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Resized_Screenshot_20220323-095743_Photos~2_84688288203213~2.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20220323-095743_Photos~2_84688288203213~2.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
B8DF80C3-0FA8-4FF2-A86A-E2413B5925AF.jpeg
This is my method before I mount on a rifle. I use to do surveying before. And surveying equipment is very precise which needs calibration every so often. So when I have a new scope to mount this is the method I came up with. Did this yesterday for a new scope. My property is long, so my front wall of my home is about 50 yards from the beginning of the driveway. I have a vertical laser which anyone can purchase from Home Depot or Lowes, beaming against the wall. BTW, I use Spuhr mounts on all my rifles. And that wedge they provide to level a scope has been dead on all the time. No BS.. Though I still setup to verify anyways.

Reactions: db2000