• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Magnification

jladd

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2017
Illinois
I'm looking at purchasing a Sightron SIII Precision Long Range scope for use on my Seekins Havak Bravo in 6.5CM. I will be shooting it from 100 to 1000 yards and looking at either the 8x32x56 or 10x50x60 models. My question does the 10x50 really provide any advantage over the 8x32 power for this shooting? My Seekins does have a 20 MOA rail to provide me with more elevation.

Maybe for spotting. I shoot out to a mile and my 5-25 is usually between 8 for finding and maybe 15-16 for shooting unless I'm doing paperwork

Reactions: Sig Marine
Depends on what kind of shooting you are doing. If it’s something like f-class where you need to see exactly where you hit, the higher power might help. Normal style shooting on steel, the 32 will be more than enough. Most scopes are a little more difficult to use on full power, eye box is tighter, image is darker, and possibly lose a little clarity especially in mirage. I run a 5.5-30 and rarely run above 16-20x unless I’m shooting prone at a small target.

As I said at Accurate Shooter, what type shooting? Just relaxed bench/prone or matches like BR/F class or PRS style in the future? Either will work and I would go with the 8-32 personally but depends on your needs.

Usage primarily benchrest out to 600 yards then fun/general shooting out to 1000 (no competition beyond 600).

Thanks

I use NightForce NXS 8-32X56 on my AIAW and TRG 22. on my semi auto's I like the
3-21x50 or 5-25X50 scopes. on a few series I use a 4X ACOG.

not sure it's really that much of an advantage . It's nice to have the extra if you can use it . I stayed around 40x's mag most of the time 100 - 1k
and most of the time I see what I hoped to see there are a few days per year where even with the aperture reduction the mirage is so bad I need to turn it down just a little maybe 38 or something like that . Yea you can shoot and hit a target with less mag , but why not use it if you got it and if you can get it for 1/2 the cost of more expensive scopes with less there's another why not . I am hooked on having that detail of 100 yard shooting out at 1k and I hope beyond .

Best of luck with what ever you get I love my sightron 10x50x60 but as much as I loved that scope my delta hd 5x50x56 is much much better .

Extra mag can be nice at times to see all the detail you mentioned, other times is can be hurtful. For prone or bench slow fire, get all you want. If you ever run positional timed strings of fire on multiple targets, you will learn high magnification isnt great. A lot harder to locate targets and it amplifies the smallest movements. So it all comes down to your use, everyone will be different.

I've shot 1,500yds with my 3-18 Razor G2 and was entirely happy. I lean towards lower mag ranges so the gun is more useful up close. 1,000yds isn't that far, a 10x scope will get you hits, but if you are really eeking out long shots all the time, more would be nice, especially for spotting hits on paper. A 5-25 or 4-20 would be plenty in my opinion.

Thanks so much for all the terrific information! I’m leaning at least for this rifle towards the 8x32 SIII PLR scope.

Did you ever get this scope?
I am leaning toward it or the new S6 5-30 ED (with rings its basically a grand more).
Yes I did purchase this scope and extremely pleased with it. My 74 year old eyes cannot tell the difference between it and the ED glass.

LOL - thx for the review! when I go from my SWFA to my sightron my eye wants to jizz in the lensecap.
I will probably order the non ED glass version and save a buck or 1000 this round.

Yes I did purchase this scope and extremely pleased with it. My 74 year old eyes cannot tell the difference between it and the ED glass.
What's the total elevation travel on the new Sightron 5-30x56?

LOL - thx for the review! when I go from my SWFA to my sightron my eye wants to jizz in the lensecap.
I will probably order the non ED glass version and save a buck or 1000 this round.
I have the SIII 8-32x56 and several of the 10-50x60s they're great for what they are but if I needed a good 5-30x56 I'd go for the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 instead for the 110 MOA total elevation travel and ED glass open box sale $1299 at Cameraland to if you don't qualify for Expert Voice or the Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 demos for $799 at EuroOptic and Scopelist. More elevation travel and better glass compared to the Sightron S6 if their glass especially if they are still using the same glass as in their SIIIs.