• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Mount Advice for Bergara HMR PRO w/ Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50

Riggster

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2020
Hello,

I am new to the forum and long range shooting. I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding hardware to get for mounting a scope. Here is a summary of my situation:

Rifle: Bergara HMR PRO chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Receiver has 8x40 threads.

Scope: Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 (MRAD, 30 mm tube)

Personal goals: I want to learn how to shoot out to 1000 meters. This rifle will be mainly used for long range shooting.

Budget: I would like to keep the cost to a few hundred dollars

I'm a little overwhelmed regarding what would be the most appropriate hardware to use to mount my scope. For example, should I put a picatinny rail on my receiver and mount to that, or mount the rings directly to the receiver? Should I use low, mid, or high rings? Should I use a 1 or 2 piece mount? Do I need to have a canted base if I want to shoot out to 1000 meters? I welcome any advice people may have, especially discussion of pro's and cons of different configurations and recommendations on specific pieces of mounting hardware.

Thanks!

Grab a Talley 20moa base and seekins, nightforce or egw rings. You don’t need a unimount. Buying used on the SH exchange will save a lot. Height depends on your scope and stock height but mediums or highs would likely be best.

Gen 1 PST is limited in elevation.
I’d definitely go a 20 moa rail with decent rings.
With a 20 moa rail you should be able to dial 1300-1400yards.
Seekins and the Premium vortex rings are excellent for the money.
I never go lower than medium rings anymore with a adjustable stock/chassis.