• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope mount for Ar15

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
I am setting up a Rock River 20 inch match barrel for target shooting for 300 to 1000 yds. I pick up the gun tomorrow.
I am looking at single piece mounts and am not sure whether I need a canted mount such as 20 moa or 30 moa as I have read here in postings when setting up a scope for longer distance shooting. I don't want to run out of travel for elevation adjustments.
I am most likely going to choose a scope either a 4x16x 56 or a 5x25x56.
Can anyone give me some advice.
I have been looking at Badger and La Rue mounts so far.
Thanks
Gary

Re: scope mount for Ar15

Scopes are pretty personal. SS, Luppy, NF, USO, S&B,etc,etc......
Set a price limit and go from there. It really easy to spend too much and love the hell out of it. It will ruin you for life.

This is probably what you will need to mount a scope on an AR an still have 20 MOA built into it. You will have to have some kind of forward extended mount so you can set your scope far enough forward to give you the proper eye relief. With this you can just use a regular set of Badger, IOR, NF, Seekings, TPS, etc medium rings and be just right. http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_128&products_id=272

That is unless someone like LaRue makes a slanted mount.

I had one of those rails on my 308 ar. Worked well. I couldnt get a 100m zero using it with my 3200 tactical scope. Sold it and just using the burris rings. My eye relief is ok and the access to my charging handle is good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one of those rails on my 308 ar. Worked well. I couldnt get a 100m zero using it with my 3200 tactical scope. Sold it and just using the burris rings. My eye relief is ok and the access to my charging handle is good. </div></div>

3200 Tac's aren't known for their large adjustment range....

I like LaRue's design, but unless I'm mounting an optic on a CQB type AR, I prefer a little lower for a solid cheekweld. I run a US Optics PosiSlide&Lock, its .3" lower than the LaRue at 1.2" center over rail.

Any mounting system that allows you repeatable torque will remove/replace within a 1/2moa or so.

I have used just about most of the manufacturers out there. I am switching all my AR optic mounts to Bobro now.

I have both laRue and Nightforce. The LaRue has more offset for better eye relief. After using both, I prefer the non quick-release attachment of the NF and the simpler more orthodox scope clamps of the NF. But, its personal preference, both are great.

Another LaRue fan here. As compared to the other heights available, I found the 1.5" height ideal for my cheekweld...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spotswood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am setting up a Rock River 20 inch match barrel for target shooting for 300 to 1000 yds. I pick up the gun tomorrow.
I am looking at single piece mounts and am not sure whether I need a canted mount such as 20 moa or 30 moa as I have read here in postings when setting up a scope for longer distance shooting. I don't want to run out of travel for elevation adjustments.
I am most likely going to choose a scope either a 4x16x 56 or a 5x25x56.
Can anyone give me some advice.
I have been looking at Badger and La Rue mounts so far.
Thanks
Gary </div></div>

Unless you spend your time removing and installing the scope on the rifle, you do not need a Larue mount. I use my AR to shoot from 300 to 1000 yards and I simply never remove the scope. I used the AR mount from Brownells, with the selectable MOA cant. It's perfect and has been holding the scope for a couple of years now. I spent about $120 all told and got the 20 MOA insert.

If you need the details, PM me and I will reply here. I have to catch a plane right now.

Someone told me ADM (american defense mounts) were pretty good. In fact, there was a comparison between the larue and ADM out there somewhere that i read - looks like the ADM mount doesn't wear the bottom side of the rail like the LaRue does... but i like larue's customer service - i have a larue bipod for my AR10... i don't put it on and take it off alot...
As for scope mounting, I have extra high burris signature zee rings. I have NIB a set of high TPS alloy rings 30mm that i haven't opened yet.

I love my USO Posa Lock and Slide MkII. It sits low enough on my flat top AR that I don't have to play with anything on the stock, and I have found that taking it on and off offers no difference in the zero. I have it on a USO SN4 with a JPJ1 ballistic reticle made for M855(green tip, 62gr fmjbt)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Unless you spend your time removing and installing the scope on the rifle, you do not need a Larue mount. I use my AR to shoot from 300 to 1000 yards and I simply never remove the scope. I used the AR mount from Brownells, with the selectable MOA cant. ....</div></div>
After using the LaRue quick mount, I prefer a standard non-quick mount. I just feel more certain that it is staying in place.