Scope mount for longer-range AR10

curetsky

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2020
Ok, newbie here and also recently took up making my own builds. I'm putting together an AR10 that I'm making for longer range shooting (maybe out to about 1000yds). Aero Precision M5 upper, Wilson Combat 18" match super sniper barrel, and putting a Steiner T5Xi scope on it. What recommendations would you offer for the scope mount? I don't want to cheap out, but I also don't want to break the bank (or my back with a heavy mount). I was looking at the Aero Precision ultralight mount, and though it seemed to get mostly positive opinions in a thread I read here, there were good points made about the vertically split rings for a precision rifle, as well as a couple of people who have experienced broken rings (I've read that elsewhere as well).

Any recommendations on rings vs. cantilever (have looked at Steiner rings and mounts, Warne XSKEL, Seekins rings, maybe even something on which a red dot could be mounted for transitioning to cqb...) would be appreciated. Thank you.

drewthebrave

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2019
While I appreciate the Aero Precision Ultralight mounts for what they are, I have low confidence in their durability. I had a few on my AR15s, but have sold all of mine except for the one on my wife's superlight AR15. I would NOT want one on a large frame AR.

Considering you have a ~$1500+ scope, I would recommend to go with the best dang one-piece mount you can afford. I like Warne, ADM, and LaRue mounts for my budget optics, but would recommend that you at least consider Spuhr, Badger Ordinance, Scalarworks, and Geissele (among others) as well. There's no point buying a Corvette if you're just going to put cheap tires on it. Spend a little extra for the peace of mind that your scope and rifle will work well together.

Reactions: curetsky

curetsky

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2020
While I appreciate the Aero Precision Ultralight mounts for what they are, I have low confidence in their durability. I had a few on my AR15s, but have sold all of mine except for the one on my wife's superlight AR15. I would NOT want one on a large frame AR.

Considering you have a ~$1500+ scope, I would recommend to go with the best dang one-piece mount you can afford. I like Warne, ADM, and LaRue mounts for my budget optics, but would recommend that you at least consider Spuhr, Badger Ordinance, Scalarworks, and Geissele (among others) as well. There's no point buying a Corvette if you're just going to put cheap tires on it. Spend a little extra for the peace of mind that your scope and rifle will work well together.
How about Steiner's own one-piece mount (t-series cantilever) or EOTech's PRS cantilever mount?

curetsky

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2020

Managed to snag a Scalarworks LEAP from SCTactical (only place that has the 34mm standard height in stock). Thanks!

JustinTX

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2019
I went with the Seekins one piece mount for my 6.5 Larue and it has been great. It seems to be good value for the money.

Reactions: curetsky