• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Scope mount gap too large for epoxy?

Dan1775

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2017
I have a one-piece Talley mount for an 1885. When I snug up the front screws, there is a gap of 0.050" between the mount and the receiver (measured with feeler gauges). It was worse at the receiver if I snug the rear screws. The mount selection for this rifle is very limited so I am pretty much stuck with what I have.

My question is, is a gap of 0.050" too large to fill by epoxy-bedding? Should it be shimmed instead? It's a tapered octagon barrel, so I'm not comfortable machining a few thousandths off the front mounting surface.

Thanks,
Dan

Flip the mount, match the bottom radius and set it back 0.050". Boring bar on an adjustable fly cutter zeroed under a milling machine.

That would let the mount sit down flush on all intended contact points.

./

Sounds to me like you might want to reach out to Mr. Cross and see if he is available for the work!;)

Reactions: PKelley
Sounds to me like you might want to reach out to Mr. Cross and see if he is available for the work!;)

Not no but Hell No! LOL.

His little 1885 is a nice rifle and he could certainly find somebody to handle it. I'm just too backed up with my regular work and not smart enough to do anything about it. :p

Not no but Hell No! LOL.

His little 1885 is a nice rifle and he could certainly find somebody to handle it. I'm just too backed up with my regular work and not smart enough to do anything about it. :p
Glad to hear business is good.

Boring bar on an adjustable fly cutter zeroed under a milling machine

Well, I understand all those words individually, just not put together in that order... Way past my minimal machinist skills. You'd probably shudder I told you what I was considered doing with it on the mill. Thanks, though. I nowhave a road map for someone to potentially do the work.

Reactions: Terry Cross