• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Mount Options

Wins10runsacp

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2018
CA
Alright ladies and gents. I started looking to source parts for my "long range" rifle. I fell into this rifle KAC 18" LPR, it was a deal i could not pass up on. I found a scope to pair it with which is the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44 w/80 MOA / 23.9MIL elevation and windage adjustment. < i tried to research before i posted this question> So I have a lot of questions, i have been running red dots and never went far. I've never shot for distance before and I don't know if I should get a 20MOA scope mount or keep the current 0MOA mount that I have in my parts bin.

Not that i have any intention at this time, as i'm just going to get my feet wet... 20 will get me past 1k yards i assume?
Depending on the ammo and bullet you are shooting, 0 moa mount probably gets you close to 1k yards as stated above, an additional 20moa mount will definitely get you beyond 1k yards, probably 1250 yards or so. And if you have a reticle with holdover, even further.

i don't know what i'm doing, but going to set up some classes and learn more about this stuff. crossing my fingers and hoping i am making the right choices...

i don't know what i'm doing, but going to set up some classes and learn more about this stuff. crossing my fingers and hoping i am making the right choices...
Honestly. don't get intimidated.
0moa or 20moa mounts will both work. But if you are planning ahead, a 20moa mount would be a better choice in the long run.
Just get it mounted, get out there and just send it...

Burris XTR signature rings.

You can build 20 MOA into the Rings themselves and I really like the signature plastic bushing. I've had the signature Z on a 270 Winchester for 15 years.

This is an AR platform...kind of like a light SPR
I've found that a cantilever mount, like a LaRue SPR mount work better, for me, on these platforms. Consider that your rear backup sight and charging handle can make scope positioning tricky and that your scope's eye relief may force you in a particular direction. It's also available with zero,10 and 20 degree cant angles..
For a 5.56 platform, 20 may be excessive.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
This is an AR platform...kind of like a light SPR
I've found that a cantilever mount, like a LaRue SPR mount work better, for me, on these platforms. Consider that your rear backup sight and charging handle can make scope positioning tricky and that your scope's eye relief may force you in a particular direction. It's also available with zero,10 and 20 degree cant angles..
For a 5.56 platform, 20 may be excessive.
dang, this looks like a good compromise with a 10MOA i see where the 20MOA would be beneficial if I EVER see myself getting out to distance. I ended up getting a used bobro dual lever 20MOA for a good price. I have some ADMs lying around that I guess I should sell and get this LaRue, looks interesting. I'll keep LaRue in mind for my future builds. Thanks for the info!

Added bonus... The LaRue order will usually come with two bumper stickers, an armadillo bottle opener and a shaker of Dillo Dust BBQ rub.

I have 2 ADM mounts.... anyone care for ADM mounts? ;)
i'm a sucker for stickers and "free" stuff.

Here we go

I forgot the mantra...Only buy SPHUR- Which for a cantilever style ramped mount will cost you between $450 -$500 - last time I checked.
Vertical split rings suck.....blah blah blah....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
My opinion....this is what works for me.... On my AR10 I have a Burris PEPR in 34mm with 20MOA of elevation in it. I believe that they also come in 30mm with 20 MOA. If you want to put a red dot sight for fast close target acquisition or in aiding to get you on target at far distance with a "pre sight in" the PEPR mount has pic rails built into the caps for mounting the red dot or you can put on smooth top caps that also come with it. Just sayin....

• Haha
Reactions: CrabsandFootball
KAC....the end. Skip the poor shit
well KAC doesn't state if it's 0MOA, or 20MOA. i was looking 1. to see if i need a 20MOA mount and 2. which mount to go with. I get it, it's nice to keep it all KAC - however if their product isn't going to be able to allow me to move from something i am uncertain of and would need a 10 or 20MOA in the future, buying a KAC because it's a KAC mount is mute.

My suspicion is that you will run out of bullet velocity, or skill, before you run out of scope elevation.
sounds about right, esp for a 5.56 - gonna need a lot of licking finger and identifying where the air is blowing even get out there.

well KAC doesn't state if it's 0MOA, or 20MOA. i was looking 1. to see if i need a 20MOA mount and 2. which mount to go with. I get it, it's nice to keep it all KAC - however if their product isn't going to be able to allow me to move from something i am uncertain of and would need a 10 or 20MOA in the future, buying a KAC because it's a KAC mount is mute.
You don't need 20 MOA base. With the 77GR SMK you are going transonic around 880yds at sea level, requiring 10 Mils.

Most of the advice in her is terrible. Don't let a larue rail touch anything you don't want destroyed. People recommending putting warne and burris junk on a $2700 rifle coupled with a $1000 scope must be high.

Factory Mk11/M110's use the KAC mount, it works, and will appreciate in value over time.

Then you have the reticle which adds another 10 mills of elevation depending on your power setting. Its a non issue.

Alright ladies and gents. I started looking to source parts for my "long range" rifle. I fell into this rifle KAC 18" LPR, it was a deal i could not pass up on. I found a scope to pair it with which is the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44 w/80 MOA / 23.9MIL elevation and windage adjustment. < i tried to research before i posted this question> So I have a lot of questions, i have been running red dots and never went far. I've never shot for distance before and I don't know if I should get a 20MOA scope mount or keep the current 0MOA mount that I have in my parts bin.

What are you a bozo? You obviously are a sales person for them. Cut the crap.... I've taken Burris PEPR Into battle. Smarten up and stop your propaganda! And....20 moa hurts absolutely nothing if you have enough erector dial the turret as the O P does. Back off!

Night Force is good stuff. Some of my counterparts in the fed have NF optics and mounts on their personal rigs and love them. Our dept defers to HLS standards and picks up the federal GSA contract GS-07F-067CA for optics such as Nikon, Leupold, and US Optics. As far as mounts, we are using the new Leupold, Burris PEPR, ARC one piece and MDT on the LSS Gen 2 Precision Chassis System. I even have seven or eight Warne mounts that are on 22-250 AR10, 50 Beowulf AR15, 308 AR10, 223 AR15 pistols, Sig MPX, and Sig MCX. MY POINT IS..... IF YOU INSTALL A GOOD MOUNT....IT WILL WORK GOOD. Now for the real issue no optic of good quality and at least 80 MOA of erector dial, you will never need that much.... but maybe you'll put the mount on an AR10 in an obnoxiously huge caliber, and then use it to its full potential. I LEARNED THAT YEARS AGO. Buy the MOA regardless because it will eventually be useful. If not, you choose the wrong sport or ...LEO Position. Chow!

What are you a bozo? You obviously are a sales person for them. Cut the crap.... I've taken Burris PEPR Into battle. Smarten up and stop your propaganda! And....20 moa hurts absolutely nothing if you have enough erector dial the turret as the O P does. Back off!
Oh yeah what battle was that? The battle of misty mountain where the drawves and forest elves beat back the mean ogres?

On the flip side, I carried a m4 in Iraq with a s&b shortdot in a larue and later KAC mount. Also carried a M16 with a ta31, in combat.

Burris mounts are cheap Chinese trash and it's not even fit for airsoft, much less something to trust your life with.

Maybe go back to facebook where you can impress someone who doesn't know any better and will believe your bs.

In my limited experience, I'd definitely say a 20moa mount. I've got LaRue's QD mount for my low power optic on my standard AR and it's top quality. In the future I'm planning to buy/build an AR10 platform and will probably go with another LaRue mount w/ the 20moa. Just my .2cents.

In my limited experience, I'd definitely say a 20moa mount. I've got LaRue's QD mount for my low power optic on my standard AR and it's top quality. In the future I'm planning to buy/build an AR10 platform and will probably go with another LaRue mount w/ the 20moa. Just my .2cents.
there are much better mounts for the money. unless you don't like your pic rail or scope

there are much better mounts for the money. unless you don't like your pic rail or scope

Probably true which is why I began with "in my limited experience" as opposed to "the best option is". The Larue QD mount is the only scope mount I have experience with on an AR platform, I didn't say it was the best or that it is better than anything, I simply said that it was good, was just giving my .2cents on the OP's question.

Reactions: Wins10runsacp
Burris XTR signature rings.

You can build 20 MOA into the Rings themselves and I really like the signature plastic bushing. I've had the signature Z on a 270 Winchester for 15 years.
I second the Burris rings.

Burris XTR Signature rings are made in CHINA. There are too many great options made in the USA to even consider Chi-Com stuff.

Burris XTR Signature rings are made in CHINA. There are too many great options made in the USA to even consider Chi-Com stuff.

I like the signature inserts.

Until there is a USA option, I'll stick with Burris.

Iphones and Nikes are made in China but I bet you have more into those items than I do into Burris rings.

Wow.
There are a ton of great mount options out there.
I would stay away from split rings, and personally have, Lowlight has said they have seen return to zero problems with splits and that was enough for me.
0moa is all you need unless you plan on moving it to a larger rifle someday. If you do buy a 20, it can’t hurt you but will give you the option later. Which is what I always try to plan for. If you go 0 now and later you want 20 you have to buy a new mount. If you go 20 and never need it no big deal. If the price is the same or close go 20. But I agree with everyone who is saying you don’t need it as you are now, but none of us started out where we are now. Why not plan for what might be.

Wow.
There are a ton of great mount options out there.
I would stay away from split rings, and personally have, Lowlight has said they have seen return to zero problems with splits and that was enough for me.
0moa is all you need unless you plan on moving it to a larger rifle someday. If you do buy a 20, it can’t hurt you but will give you the option later. Which is what I always try to plan for. If you go 0 now and later you want 20 you have to buy a new mount. If you go 20 and never need it no big deal. If the price is the same or close go 20. But I agree with everyone who is saying you don’t need it as you are now, but none of us started out where we are now. Why not plan for what might be.

Technically he said VERTICAL split rings....

Technically he said VERTICAL split rings....

You are right!!! I totally missed the vertically split part and just swore off all “split” rings. Lol well I guess it’s time to go back and re-listen!!

warne are made in USA and have a great reputation
They are junk, made down the road and i have installed more warne products (reluctantly) than anyone on this site.

Machined like ass, not trued, require lapping, poor fastners and usualy require bedding.

suprised they are still in business, no one but ignorants buy their shit. Way too many good products on market to even consider them.

Reactions: PDXGS
Do any rings mount up without the requirement to lap them to perfect alignment?

Possibly a 1 piece mount with both rings in the rail.... but then how high do they go? Typically 1.5" for AR-15 platforms, Do they make LOW (1" or lower) one-piece mounts that are machined to perfect alignment?

Who makes those?

Thanks!

Yes, Virtually all quality Rings do not require lapping. Some bases require bedding depding on how shitty the reciever was made and if you cheap out on bases.

Seekins, NF, ARC, SPUHR, Badger, Bobro Those all the only 6 products I recommend after years of trying just about everything. I don't have any time with Scarlarworks, but people seem to like them.

Rings/Bases/Mounts is NOT the place to cheap out on. Its the critical interface between your optic and your rifle. The cost difference between junk and top of the line is less than $300. Whats $300 in a 2,3,4,5K+ rifle? Peanuts.

Reactions: theLBC
Yes, Virtually all quality Rings do not require lapping. Some bases require bedding depding on how shitty the reciever was made and if you cheap out on bases.

Seekins, NF, ARC, SPUHR, Badger, Bobro Those all the only 6 products I recommend after years of trying just about everything. I don't have any time with Scarlarworks, but people seem to like them.

Rings/Bases/Mounts is NOT the place to cheap out on. Its the critical interface between your optic and your rifle. The cost difference between junk and top of the line is less than $300. Whats $300 in a 2,3,4,5K+ rifle? Peanuts.

Carbs, Believe me, I agree that the rings are a critical component....

I'm just trying to keep up.... So any of the $200-$400 Scope rings won't need Lapping even if they are mounted on two piece Rail sections? Or are you saying the Single-Piece mounts won't need lapping?

Because I'm looking and it seems like most of the one-piece mounts are 1.2" - 1.5" height or more....

Hell even my 1" high 34mm rings force me to move that cheek piece way up to get a proper weld.

Maybe I missed it, but which one-piece mount system can you get for not mounting a scope way too high? (My personal opinion)

No I didn't say Any. I named specific companies who products are a known quality.

Your Scope will determine what high you should go. You need enough clearance for the rail plus caps plus a little more. I shoot off Bobro, Badger & NF mounts and have no issue with height with SOPMOD and bravo stocks.

I have the same scope you have in a Bobro on my 6.5G... perfect height. For QD I only use Bobro.

No I didn't say Any. I named specific companies who products are a known quality.

Your Scope will determine what high you should go. You need enough clearance for the rail plus caps plus a little more. I shoot off Bobro, Badger & NF mounts and have no issue with height with SOPMOD and bravo stocks.

I have the same scope you have in a Bobro on my 6.5G... perfect height. For QD I only use Bobro.

Ill check them out. Which Bobro do you have and whats the height to the bottom of the rings from the rail?