• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Mount Options

Go install hundreds of them and get back to me.

Why the hell would I do that? You named spuhr And there prone to cracking so maybe you don’t know as much as you think you do

Last edited:
I didn’t see geissele super precision mounts mentioned. I have them on my nra service rifle, nra ar10 long range service rifle, and two other ar rifles. I really like them. Great return to zero when I took the off. Excellent construction. They are at least worth a look.

Yes, Virtually all quality Rings do not require lapping. Some bases require bedding depding on how shitty the reciever was made and if you cheap out on bases.

Seekins, NF, ARC, SPUHR, Badger, Bobro Those all the only 6 products I recommend after years of trying just about everything. I don't have any time with Scarlarworks, but people seem to like them.

Rings/Bases/Mounts is NOT the place to cheap out on. Its the critical interface between your optic and your rifle. The cost difference between junk and top of the line is less than $300. Whats $300 in a 2,3,4,5K+ rifle? Peanuts.
even though i am practically one of the poors, i agree.
i can shoot $300 in ammo in a day, and would not skimp on quality.

as far as larue QDs, they use a very simple cam lock design. this cam can cut into your rail, so if you actually remove and mount your scope a lot it can wear a groove on your rail and get loose, requiring adjustment. the only contact one side of the mount has with the rail is the cam(s) itself.
imho, this is fine for a bipod, but not a $1000 scope you want to stay in the exact same spot and keep your zero when removed and mounted again.
If you want/need a QD mount for a quality scope, spend the extra money for a mount with cams that push a retaining bar(s) straight into the rail, like a bobro engineering mount, not something that twists into the rail.

larue-tactical-quick-detach-scope-mount.jpg

I thought the days of mounting as low as possible were over? All of my scopes are 2.5 to 2.75 over bore except maybe my grand daddy’s 30/06 or the 22 I shot as a kid. All my tactical and precision rigs are mounted in spurs and all are dead nuts . But once cry once. Buy good stuff that’s known quality and you never have to guess if it’s you or your equipment.

even though i am practically one of the poors, i agree.
i can shoot $300 in ammo in a day, and would not skimp on quality.

as far as larue QDs, they use a very simple cam lock design. this cam can cut into your rail, so if you actually remove and mount your scope a lot it can wear a groove on your rail and get loose, requiring adjustment. the only contact one side of the mount has with the rail is the cam(s) itself.
imho, this is fine for a bipod, but not a $1000 scope you want to stay in the exact same spot and keep your zero when removed and mounted again.
If you want/need a QD mount for a quality scope, spend the extra money for a mount with cams that push a retaining bar(s) straight into the rail, like a bobro engineering mount, not something that twists into the rail.

Fair point and that makes sense. I could probably count on two hands the amount of times I've removed and reattached the scope on my rifle so over many more years of use I can see this being an issue but up until now I haven't noticed any change in my zero.

Reactions: theLBC
Fair point and that makes sense. I could probably count on two hands the amount of times I've removed and reattached the scope on my rifle so over many more years of use I can see this being an issue but up until now I haven't noticed any change in my zero.
most QDs have decent return if mounted properly. not bashing on your choice, i just think it is important to know jic.
i would expect your mount to hold within zero within ~0.25" based on some tests by recoil.

most QDs have decent return if mounted properly. not bashing on your choice, i just think it is important to know jic.
i would expect your mount to hold within zero within ~0.25" based on some tests by recoil.

Yea I don't have the cams "tight" but they are snug. If/when they do wear I'll be replacing it with something better for sure. This was my first AR build a 4 or so years ago but though I do think the mount is good quality, I have come to have a hatred and disdain for vertical-split rings.

Reactions: theLBC
I didn’t see geissele super precision mounts mentioned. I have them on my nra service rifle, nra ar10 long range service rifle, and two other ar rifles. I really like them. Great return to zero when I took the off. Excellent construction. They are at least worth a look.
They are a solution looking for a problem. Badger and NF made rock solid mounts for a decade before G made his first and it brings nothing new to table. Atleast ARC have the benefit of their m10 rings for the increased price.

In actual dod testing most have significant shift even when installing correctly by pushing forward on lug. BOBRO smoked the field by a significant margain with average shift less than 1/10" a moa. Many of the shit products people are reccomending performed terribly. But that's the internet for you, people talking out their ass when they should be learning instead.

They also don't destroy your rail, require adjustment and will adapt to any rail, even out of spec ones.

In actual dod testing most have significant shift even when installing correctly by pushing forward on lug. BOBRO smoked the field by a significant margain with average shift less than 1/10" a moa. Many of the shit products people are reccomending performed terribly. But that's the internet for you, people talking out their ass when they should be learning instead.

They also don't destroy your rail, require adjustment and will adapt to any rail, even out of spec ones.
and that is why i run a bobro scar mount on my 20S. it is a press fit that doesn't move even before you even lock it down.
also being made with right or left side levers is a plus for a side charging platform.

I thought the days of mounting as low as possible were over? All of my scopes are 2.5 to 2.75 over bore except maybe my grand daddy’s 30/06 or the 22 I shot as a kid. All my tactical and precision rigs are mounted in spurs and all are dead nuts . But once cry once. Buy good stuff that’s known quality and you never have to guess if it’s you or your equipment.
2.5 to 2.75 over bore?

How much over receiver? 1.5 to 1.9?

Reactions: Wins10runsacp
2.5 to 2.75 over bore?

How much over receiver? 1.5 to 1.9?

it’s a Spuhr 4616 - 34mm tube 38mm height with 20 / 6 mil elevation. I use the same mount for my Schmidt on my APO and my ZCO on my AXMC. The APO is 2.5 and the AXMC is 2.8125.