• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Scope mounting in-lb torque wrench recommendation?

olive drab

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2009
Virginia
I need a torque wrench or two (depending on effective torque range) to mount rings and bases. Whats the most reliable for up to 80 inch pounds? Am I better off with something thats 40 inch pounds and below and then something for the top end? I am open to ideas and am looking for something thats quality item so I dont mind paying for it.

Lots of people will recommend the borka or fix it sticks but Ive found the my wheeler fat wrench is good enough and its cheap enough that I could get one for home and one for the range bag. Only goes up to 65 but Ive never had to tighten anything more than 60 so...

I've said it <a href='https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forum/sniper%C2%92s-hide%C2%AE-armory-supply/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/6509205-torque-wrench?p=6511667#post6511667'>before</a> and I'll say it again: SnapOn TorqOMeter.

The Borka kit will do it all and is a solid piece of kit, but for rings I actually prefer the screwdriver style torque wrench by Vortex. I have both and use both all the time. The Vortex wrench only goes up to 50 in lbs so it’s not a solution for everything, but for rings it’s easy to use and much better than a Wheeler.

I always have my Wheeler fat wrench in my range bag, cheap and very dependable.

Wheeler Fat Wrench for rings and bases for the last few years. Before that, the L shaped torque key that comes with Badger gear used with the short piece pinched in my thumb with zero issues on dozens of rifles. We (lots and lots of us) like to make shit more complicated than it is.