• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope mounting issue/solution

alamo5000

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
I recently bought an Arisaka type scope leveling kit but the problem is my scope sits too low to fit the base pad underneath it.

I was thinking that if someone could get a piece of pic rail and mill a flat section out, basically removing a couple of slots it would make mount up using those types of tools a lot easier.

The scope wouldn't be leveled on the rifle but it would be leveled in the rings and then it could be put on the rifle.

If anyone has a milling machine or knows of any alternative solution please post up what it is.

What about a using a Feeler Gauge, it's the best tool for measuring and adjusting the spark plug spacing. I have one in my scope mounting kit and use it for scope leveling between the bottom of the scope and a Picatinny rail (MIL-STD-1913).

Reactions: alamo5000
I never thought of using a deck of cards. That's pretty smart. Same with feeler gauges.

As for the plum bob, I've tried that method a couple of times on various rifles and for some reason I haven't been able to make it work as intended. Obviously I am probably doing something wrong.

I don't mount scopes all the time but getting everything really level and verifying the reticle is straight etc is usually doable but kind of tedious. I bought the scope leveling kit as a shortcut but I didn't think about ring height being an issue.

If it ever comes available I would still like to try the idea of milling a flat surface on a piece of pic rail and adding that to the 'kit'. Seems like it would work. That said I've lived this long with no leveling kit and I have no idea how many scopes I've leveled before. Just looking to make it easier and faster.

I never thought of using a deck of cards. That's pretty smart. Same with feeler gauges.

As for the plum bob, I've tried that method a couple of times on various rifles and for some reason I haven't been able to make it work as intended. Obviously I am probably doing something wrong.

I don't mount scopes all the time but getting everything really level and verifying the reticle is straight etc is usually doable but kind of tedious. I bought the scope leveling kit as a shortcut but I didn't think about ring height being an issue.

If it ever comes available I would still like to try the idea of milling a flat surface on a piece of pic rail and adding that to the 'kit'. Seems like it would work. That said I've lived this long with no leveling kit and I have no idea how many scopes I've leveled before. Just looking to make it easier and faster.
The best method to properly mount a scope...in my worthless opinion.......is to always do it off the rifle. if you have multiple scopes or buy and sell new ones often, i cant recommend enough buying a badger dead level and using the plumb bob. i use this every time and it literally takes me 3 minutes to level the reticle and torque the rings. its so easy @lowlight can do it.

here, @lowlight shows you just how easy it is, and he uses the deck of cards ( prefer the plumb bob. same result)

Last edited:
The best method to properly mount a scope...in my worthless opinion.......is to always do it off the rifle. if you have multiple scopes or buy and sell new ones often, i cant recommend buying a badger dead level and using the plumb bob. i use this every time and it literally takes me 3 minutes to level the reticle and torque the rings. its so easy @lowlight can do it.

here, @lowlight shows you just how easy it is, and he uses the deck of cards ( prefer the plumb bob. same result)

That's awesome. I will take a look at it later on when I have time to focus on it. One of those leveling tools could be very useful in tracking tests too.

On another subject but along the same vein, I hear of people's optics where the reticle itself is canted which would ultimately be a nightmare if you tried to dial up or hold over with that. I don't have the first idea how to test for that...

Hmmm

I clamp and level my rifles in a padded shop vise then level the scope in its rings to the rifle. Two starret levels and done.

Works like a champ.

That's awesome. I will take a look at it later on when I have time to focus on it. One of those leveling tools could be very useful in tracking tests too.

On another subject but along the same vein, I hear of people's optics where the reticle itself is canted which would ultimately be a nightmare if you tried to dial up or hold over with that. I don't have the first idea how to test for that...
It’s called a tall target test. In today’s optics its pretty rare to get a canted reticle and most manufacturers would fix it for you. As for using the dead level to test tracking, it’s not stable enough. You need something heavy and that won’t move.

there's been so many threads on this. Level your crossahirs with a plumb bob or similar. The rifle should be set to your natural position.

Reactions: bassmaster07
That is almost exactly what I do, except I use Stabila levels + a temp rail level.

IMG_0130.jpeg

Hmmm

I clamp and level my rifles in a padded shop vise then level the scope in its rings to the rifle. Two starret levels and done.

Works like a champ.

Reactions: 308pirate