• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Scope Mounting Kit? Is It Really Necessary?

Krav69

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2007
I just checked out a video on youtube by Wheeler Engineering which details, using their scope mounting kit, just how to "properly" mount a riflescope.

I've been mounting riflescopes for quite some time using screwdrivers, Loctite, and a collimator, and nothing else.

I've never used, even on my tactical rigs, lapping bars, alignment bars, lapping compound, torque wrench, and three different levels.

I've shot competitively and taught, but never felt this was needed.

Can anyone quantitatively prove that all this stuff (lapping bars, alignment bars, torque wrench, etc.) will dramatically improve the performance of a rifle and scope?

Has anyone mounted a scope "improperly", then recorded the scores, and then re-mounted the scope "properly" using the above equipment, and recorded a dramatic difference in scores?

I dunno, the gadgetry in our beloved sport is mind-numbing at times.

Just looking for your guy's experiences with this issue...

Re: Scope Mounting Kit? Is It Really Necessary?

The only time it REALLY matters is if your base(s) are out of true and you end up bending a scope. Of course this only matters if you are running a 2 piece base.

On a a 1 piece pic rail it would take some serious torque to twist a scope or base.

In the end they are trying to sell a product so they couch the video to make folks buy it so that they don't tweek their $500 scope.

Good rings on a good base mounted w/ a torque wrench will net you repeatability if you ever need to hot swap a scope. I have done this test in the past and it does give some comfort if your primary goes down and you have to shift to a back up. That being said if you are toting a spare optic it means you do not have full faith in your primary and should be sourcing a new one.

Another possible scenario is you have one optic and 2 rifles.

A torque wrench is a must for several things, the other stuff, not so much.

Cheers,

Doc