• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope Mounting Problem

skifast

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
I am having a problem getting my scope aligned correctly. I have a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06, a Hawke Frontier scope and DNZ Game Reaper one piece mount. I mounted the scope and leveled it. The problem is that when I bore sight it with a laser, I have to use all of the windage adjustment to get the cross hairs lined up with the laser.

I had a Weatherby 7mm Rem Mag that the scope was mounted on. I did not have any problem with the scope alignment. I sold the 7mm and replaced it with the 30-06. The mount is new as is the rifle.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Scope Mounting Problem

Could be a gun problem or a mount problem: location of the base screws or in how the mount sits on the receiver.

Or it could be a scope problem: with that scope I think you've only got 25 MOA of elevation on a flat base. How much windage do you have?

There are 400 clicks of elevation and 200 clicks of windage. The clicks are 1/4 MOA. The elevation is not a problem. I centered the reticle by counting the total number of clicks and starting at the mid-point. It only took about 10 clicks to get close on the elevation.

Scribe a line through the center of the mounting holes using a straight edge and a pencil. Maybe your mounting holes are not aligned. I had a model 70 that was off just a fraction and I never got it closer than 6 inches left of the target. Winchester replaced the action but it was driving me insane, before the problem was discovered.

Dont rule out that there could be a problem with the laser. I once boresighted a rifle using a chamber laser and the first shot at 100 yds was almost 20 MOA off vertically and about 9-10 MOA horizontally.

I played around with it a bit. Bore sighting the old fashioned way looking down the barrel. It was still off.

I removed the scope and mount. I reinstalled the mount using two screws and pushing the front to the right and back to the left as I tightened the screws. Then I installed the other two mount screws and the scope. This seemed to resolve the problem. However, I would be concerned that the mount may move back due to recoil and lugging the rifle around.

If I bedded the mount, would it fix it in place?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwanajcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scribe a line through the center of the mounting holes using a straight edge and a pencil. Maybe your mounting holes are not aligned. I had a model 70 that was off just a fraction and I never got it closer than 6 inches left of the target. Winchester replaced the action but it was driving me insane, before the problem was discovered. </div></div>

Must be a Win problem, had one the rear bridge was 1/16 too low had to shim it till they replaced it.